UK Vinyl Sales Reach 25-Year High

jjbomber

davidf said:
I honestly thought it would start slowing over the last 6 months or so, and particularly this year. It'll be interesting to see how it goes over the course of 2017.

It will build up to Record Store Day. The other factor, unfortunately, was a lot of deaths in 2016. The biggest seller was Bowie. It seems a bit strange to me, but people feel compelled to buy records just because someone has died. It is almost part of the grieving process.

jjbomber said:
davidf said:
I honestly thought it would start slowing over the last 6 months or so, and particularly this year. It'll be interesting to see how it goes over the course of 2017.

It will build up to Record Store Day. The other factor, unfortunately, was a lot of deaths in 2016. The biggest seller was Bowie. It seems a bit strange to me, but people feel compelled to buy records just because someone has died. It is almost part of the grieving process.

Yep. It's a bit like you simply have to have the last LP they ever recorded.... even if you don't particularly like the music..... weird!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
This item featured on the radio as we were eating dinner this evening. My better half looked up from the bangers and mash I had just cooked and said "It's down to you, isn't it?"

I think she is trying to make a point about the amount of vinyl getting delivered...

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Waxy said:
This item featured on the radio as we were eating dinner this evening. My better half looked up from the bangers and mash I had just cooked and said "It's down to you, isn't it?"

I think she is trying to make a point about the amount of vinyl getting delivered...

*biggrin*
thumbs_up.gif

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I get tired of people ( FB friends etc ) asking me about turntables and what system I recommend for their budget of £300 - when I try an explain more funds are needed to make it worthwhile I then get asked if an ION turntable is better than a USB one being sold in Richer Sounds.

im not being snobby - just hope the fad passes soon

Vinyl done properly cannot be done on a shoestring budget - especially if the user has no knowledge of what a phono stage is - I just direct them to forums - plenty of info online

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
I saw this at lunchtime, according to the report 48% of records are never played. Quite how accurate that is I don't know, sounds like BS to me.
There'll be a lot of collectors out there, but that won't be any different to the 90s, 80s, 70s....

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The increasing volume does seem to be bringing prices of LPs down a bit. Not for everything, but more LPs seem to be under £20 now than a year ago, according to my very selective and completely unscientific sampling method.

Of course, we've got huge price hikes to come because of the slump in the pound, which is only likely to get worse...

Let's hope people start making pressing machines again, as that is the limiting factor in the number of LPs that can be produced at the moment.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
The increasing volume does seem to be bringing prices of LPs down a bit. Not for everything, but more LPs seem to be under £20 now than a year ago, according to my very selective and completely unscientific sampling method.
I reckon that might be partly because there are a number of albums that were licensed to Music On Vinyl that are now being released by other companies due to those licenses running out. MOV were never the cheapest around, but the quality was generally good.

davidf said:
thescarletpronster said:
I reckon that might be partly because there are a number of albums that were licensed to Music On Vinyl that are now being released by other companies due to those licenses running out. MOV were never the cheapest around, but the quality was generally good.

I'd agree with MOV being the main mover and shaker for some time. They issue a good number of varied genres each month and seem to have the production facilities to make enough to cover demand unlike some of the newer upstarts. I am getting increasingly frustrated in reading extremely good reviews of LPs in other publications on to find said LP is almost impossible to get hold of due to stock numbers issued initially and the failure of the producing company to keep in line with demand.

That aliigned with the fact that there is a lot of rubbish (content as well as quality) being issued these days me that makes me very wary when it comes to exactly what I purchase.

I did my best over the last 12 months and bought around a hundred albums, mostly from internet companies.

Hardly any from record shops despite the multiple visits I made.

My buying habits will change this year, as I've bought almost all the albums I wanted.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
davidf said:

I was talking about standard new releases from major and indie labels, not reissues or 'audiophile' editions.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
I am getting increasingly frustrated in reading extremely good reviews of LPs in other publications on to find said LP is almost impossible to get hold of due to stock numbers issued initially and the failure of the producing company to keep in line with demand.

This is problem I find a lot, too. It is at least in part down to the lack of pressing facilities I noted above. Smaller labels especially find it really difficult to get things pressed in a timely fashion now that majors are re-issuing so many more records from their back catalogues. (This from the owner of my local shop and what I've read in the press.) Often if you don't order an album before the release date you have to wait, sometimes months, for a repress - and sometimes even if you order before release you miss out - and this not even for 'limited editions'.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
davidf said:

I was talking about standard new releases from major and indie labels, not reissues or 'audiophile' editions.
Don't worry, I was too. There's a lot of what MOV had that are now being released by Sony and its associated smaller labels at the moment, at relatively cheap prices in comparison to MOV.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I get tired of people ( FB friends etc ) asking me about turntables and what system I recommend for their budget of £300 - when I try an explain more funds are needed to make it worthwhile I then get asked if an ION turntable is better than a USB one being sold in Richer Sounds.

im not being snobby - just hope the fad passes soon

Vinyl done properly cannot be done on a shoestring budget - especially if the user has no knowledge of what a phono stage is - I just direct them to forums - plenty of info online

At work they gave away a cheap record player for a prize the other week. It looked like it would have cost about £20 and everyone thought it was great.

Personally I wouldn't dare play anything on it for fear of damaging the record with the dirt cheap stylus used.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts