UE55ES8000 vs TX-P50GT50

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Having visited John Lewis yesterday evening, I had a close look at 2 of the TVs they had on display. Firstly, I looked at the GT50, which was showing tennis on BBC HD, and I was struck by how similar the picture looked to my Kuro, great detail, smooth motion, and a really natural pallette.

I then moved on to the much hyped ES8000, and was immediately struck by how awful the picture looked, so I checked which channel it was showing, and it was showing the other BBC HD channel. The picture to me seemed unatural, lacking clarity, and with a blotchy, pixellated overall look to it.

My wife even noticed the huge difference between the GT50 and ES8000, and said, that's what you get if you buy cheap products, only for me to tell her that the GT was £1100 cheaper. Shocked, she was.

It was also displayed side by side with a Panasonic LED TV, and the Pana, though not great, was hugely better than the Samsung.

Now I know that the settings could have been poor, but it makes no sense to me why JL would not want to show a two and a half grand TV off to it's best ability.

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi mate

Yep, I totally agree with what you're saying, they are the same in our John Lewis too, the Samsung is just too bright. Getting the Panasonic home and seeing it on a regular basis it is even better than in the shop. I watch the same discs most of the time and have compared the Panasonic with the Pioneer LX5090 extensively and they are so alike. Watching the Da Vinci Code or Star Wars you can't tell the difference. (Makes you think that Kuro technology has come into play here.)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

That's what the guy in John Lewis thinks too.

Is it just a rumour, or are Panasonic now using the Kuro technology?

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
That's what the guy in John Lewis thinks too.

Is it just a rumour, or are Panasonic now using the Kuro technology?

There was talk of it from the Panasonic guys to what extent - not sure. Going on a visual basis I would say yes for me. Managed to compare the 50vt30 against the 50gt50 extensively too and the gt50 is so much better.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I love my Kuro, but the connectivity of the new Panasonics, along with the fantastic pictures means it could be, and I do mean could be, time to trade in the Kuro.

I think I'd only get about £500-£600 for the Kuro now though.

Back to the Samsung, I just can't believe it's as bad as it looked in the shop. Some reviews I've read do say that the initial settings are very in your face, and do need some work to get the picture to look as it should. It must be a good tv, but LEDs/LCDs are just not for me, as I've never seen one that comes close to my Kuro.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
In defence of the shop, it's impossible to expect the guys to spend hours calibrating every display TV that's in there.
Most TV manufacturers program in a "shop mode" setting which is designed to make the picture "pop" out at the casual viewer, which works great if they are showing something like The Simpsons but fares less well with ordinary material.

Of all the TV sets I've seen on display I'd estimate that 0% are showing just what they are capable of.
There really is no perfect calibration as that depends on ambient lighting (which is rather harsh in shops), choice of source material, etc etc.

You can't really compare sets by using the in store feed and lighting enviroment.
That's where the esteemed crew at WHF come in, they do have the time/resources to set up a system and eek out the best/worst in any given set.

Without sounding condesecending, if WHF dismiss an item, I tend to give it a wide berth.
If it receives a recommendation then it goes to my audition short list, end of.

The ultimate decision is always mine but expert recommendations help save so much time.

IMHO the current state of the art is between the Panasonic VT and the Samsung.
I went with the Sammy 8000.

D

Deleted member 2457

7401853476_10c2919a18_s.jpg

7401836984_54fb7e8a39_s.jpg

Not sure how good these pictures look now, BB pictures for you too.
smiley-wink.gif

The top one is for the blacks!

D

Deleted member 2457

I have some how managed to get them out of focus, any tips guys?

Cheers
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
Hi gel, the pictures might be slightly smaller but can you copy & paste.

Hi mate

Ah cheers I will have a go.

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 2457

See if this works!

Oh well.

Can't do it without showing my account - rats! Any idea on how to get my photos looking better, because they look great.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

I'm with tonya on this one, I never judge a tv based on their setup in shop mode with bad feed etc, I compared these 2 tvs at a richer sounds in their demonstration room where I knew I could 'trust' the results and to my eyes the Sammy was better...I suppose it's a matter of taste, the panny had a more natural picture but the Sammy just had better definition and clarity for me and it looks more stylish imo.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

uberfrag said:
I'm with tonya on this one, I never judge a tv based on their setup in shop mode with bad feed etc, I compared these 2 tvs at a richer sounds in their demonstration room where I knew I could 'trust' the results and to my eyes the Sammy was better...I suppose it's a matter of taste, the panny had a more natural picture but the Sammy just had better definition and clarity for me and it looks more stylish imo.

As I said, I'm sure the Samsung must be better than what I was seeing, but I still think that for fast motion, Plasmas are far better. I like natural pictures, I don't want natural images to look artificial.

The big thing I noticed with the Samsung the other day, and have noticed on LCDs that I have owned, is the pixellization (is that a word?) of the images close up, Plasmas, don't have this, they look just as good at close quarters.

I'm really not knocking the Samsung, but from what I've seen, it will not be on my audition list come new tv time.

Edit. And I don't like the new, or previous stand on the Samsungs, so to my eyes, they are not more stylish, Again, just my point of view.

D

Deleted member 2457

Still can't get it right. Just showed some of you all my pictures what did you think?
smiley-smile.gif

The pictures look great and are in focus, just can't transfer them in focus, oh well...

D

Deleted member 2457

7401847606_da1c95b1a0_s.jpg

Just can't get it in focus, even though the photos are in focus.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'd like to help, but unfortunately I'm useless with that kind of thing
smile.png

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'd like to help, but unfortunately I'm useless with that kind of thing
smile.png

I have done it before the same way, just not done it for a while and now it is not in focus, I will have to leave it as that mate.

Yep I like the Samsung too, saw a deal at Comet this week for £2000 for it plus Blu-ray player and other extras, thought it was a good deal. Still not seen the VT50 - can't wait to see it, thoroughly pleased with the GT50 though - great TV!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The guy in John Lewis told me that the VT50 will be £1899 once they get it in stock, £500 more than the GT50.

The Samsung was £2499 I think, and struggling to remember, the Panasonic LED next to it was £2395.

The only tv I would consider as a replacement for my Kuro (other than the GT50/VT50), is one of the Philips 21:9 tvs. I really like the idea of watching films without the black bars top and bottom, and I wish Panasonic would adopt this for one of their plasmas.

Enjoy the tv gel, sounds like you already are, and I don't need to see the pictures to know how good it is.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The guy in John Lewis told me that the VT50 will be £1899 once they get it in stock, £500 more than the GT50.

The Samsung was £2499 I think, and struggling to remember, the Panasonic LED next to it was £2395.

The only tv I would consider as a replacement for my Kuro (other than the GT50/VT50), is one of the Philips 21:9 tvs. I really like the idea of watching films without the black bars top and bottom, and I wish Panasonic would adopt this for one of their plasmas.

Enjoy the tv gel, sounds like you already are, and I don't need to see the pictures to know how good it is.

Cheers mate. I got it from John Lewis paid £1200 for it under price match, with your TV I reckon about 600 too. If you do go for one make sure you price match.
smiley-wink.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I do, but it's only used as a sleeping aid, so picture quality doesn't matter so much.

But well spotted, a glaring error on my part.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Get John Lewis to price match this offer:

http://www.hispek.com/panasonic/3d-televisions/panasonic-txp50vt50b-50-premium-full-hd-3d-plasma-smart-viera-tv-with-2-x-3d-glasses-free-3d-blu-ray-player-free-5-year-in-store-warranty-pd-11003.php?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle_Feed

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn said:
Gel, I always told you Panasonic was the best
smiley-wink.gif

That you did, I believe you now.
smiley-smile.gif

Not bad priced either, quite like the look of the st50 too. They are selling quite well from what I have seen.

Cheers Max

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I commented to the wife how good the picture looked on our tv during Harry Potter on ITV1 HD, she replied, yes, so we don't need a new tv.

Goodbye GT50, it was nice to have met you.............briefly.
silenced.gif

I'm off to see the Stone Roses soon............ in Manchester.

As the train gets closer and closer to Old Trafford, I hope I don't go all Damien in The Omen when they took him to the church
pray.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts