UE46F6400 horrible picture, any tuning tips?

ace

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded my excellent 37" B650 to a UE46F6400. Reviews of this set were excellent, and I reasoned that both sets cost me the same amount (around £700) but the later is 4 years newer, so should be better.

How wrong was I! The picture is so bad, it is unwatchable. I would have rated the B650 as a 9/10, I would rate the 6400 as a zero. The highlights are universally blown out, and there are horrendous sharpening artifacts such as halos, jagged lines, and ultra-pronounced noise on all inputs. SD sources, such as sat are unwatchable. Blue Ray input is certainly sharper than the B650, but at the cost of white halos in strange places and overblown highlights. For example, in Madagascar, Melmans head suffers from white outlines. The sand which spills from Alexes mouth when he gets washed up on the beach is a silver/white waterfall. In Avatar the noses of the blue people (Na'vi) are blown out.

There are 4 picture presets:

Dynamic

Standard

Natural

Movie.

Movie helps - it tones down the ultra-vivid blown out colouers, but picture still looks far worse than on the B650. Strangely, both Movie and Standard have a brightness of 45, but Movie is much much brighter than standard.

Does anyone have any watchable settings which work with all inputs (poor quality SD, low quality HD (compressed) and Blueray sources?

So far I am very much regretting chaning TVs.

Viewing distance is around 4m.

Paul.

Pick a review site such as hdtvtest that publishes its calibration settings and use those.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue40h6400-201405023756.htm

should be close enough

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the f6800 im sorry to hear you r not happy my settings are backlight at 14 contrast at 70 brightness at 45 sharpness at 40 colour at 50 turn all picture proccessing of i.e mpeg noise reduction digital clean view etc turn dynamic contrast black tone motion lighting all of as these can cause picture issues i find these picture settings give me a very good picture which im happy with but remember these settings may not suit u give them a try and see what you think and if it makes any difference good luck :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ace,

Use the movie mode, as this is designed to most closely approximate the HD broadcasting standard.

Then, you can download the AVS HD709 test patterns here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Use the patterns to set contrast, brightness, and sharpness, and set colour to whatever level feels right.

Experiment with other picture options to see how you get on (such as dynamic contrast and digital noise reduction), though it's usually best to leave such processing off.

Doing the above is preferable to copying somebody else's settings, even if they own the same model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts