TV blu-ray connection problem. Help needed

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Bought a TV/ monitor a few years back for the bedroom, it has no tuner in it so just plug my freeview recorder into it to watch TV. I now have a spare sony bdp 390 blu ray player and want to use its wireless streaming to watch Lovefilm and Netflix in the bedroom on that screen. The problem is the only connection the monitor has is via 3 phono cables. I use a scart to phono from freeview recorder to the monitor but the blu ray only has HDMI. I'm guessing I will need a switcher box to swap between freeview and BLURAY but can I get HDMI to scart then to phono? Not after playing blu rays on it only for streaming and picture quality is not an issue just as long as it works!

daveh75

Do you mean Component RGB when you say 3 phono cables?

Or composite video + stereo L + R?

Either way its not just a simple case of a cable I'm afraid.

HDMI is obv. digital, and component/composite video analogue, plus HDMI employs HDCP ( copy protection)

So you need to use an HDCP stripper/HDMI to component/composite converter, and they aren't cheap.

Have a look at the HDFury range for example.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The 390 has a composite out doesnt it ? Use that to connect to the tv.

You may then need a composite switcher - something like this for £5.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Audio-Selector-Switch-Connect/dp/B003R7ZSZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357666189&sr=1-1

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure which it is, I have three cables red and white carry the sound and a yellow one carries the video. They plug into a scart socket which then goes in the freeview recorder. I had a look at the hd fury's and now realise as you say you are converting digital to analogue but these things are aimed at displays which can show 720p and 1080p what I've got is more like old style tv displays something like 420p so not sure if they would work. I need to down grade the signal as its only for streaming lovefilm etc wondering if a new tv is the only answer now.

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007WRPJX2

just found this do you think this would work? Could then put the HDMI into this then plug in the scart thing I've got and plug the three leads ( red, white and yellow) into it and then to the monitor.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Buy the switcher I mentioned.

Get 2 new phono leads with red,white,yellow at both ends.

- Plug your existing lead (scart to phono) from freeview recorder to switcher input 1 (red,white,yellow)

- Plug new phono lead 1 from blu-ray to switcher input 2 (red,white,yellow)

- Plug new phono lead 2 from switcher output to tv inputs (red,white,yellow).

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried using the connections you suggested and when done I get an on-screen message saying "cannot send video from this output, to view/listen please use the hdmi output" is this something that has been disabled in the uk for copyright reason, or is it a digital to analogue issue? Just seems strange having that sort of output on the back that doesn't work! Any ideas?

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, yes I think your right, it mentions this in the instruction manual. I did try it and nothing happened but I was getting annoyed and somewhat impatient by this point so might be worth trying it again.

TRENDING THREADS