TV as a monitor - what should I consider?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I want to buy a TV which will double as a monitor for my computer, and I'm wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out for when choosing one.

The obvious things I've already though of are: VGA input, LCD (for response time).

Is there anything else I should be looking for, what size limit would you put on a monitor (is 32" too big?). Are there any particular models that someone would recommend for this purpose?

As always, any help much appreciated.

Iain.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
you are looking for a TV-Monitor type of device. I have a SAMSUNG model, it may be that other manifacturers also make them, I don't know. So I would suggest you look around for tv-monitors, that is the key word

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My friend uses the current Samsung 26" WHF Best Buy as a monitor for his Mac and finds it works well. I have to say, for me, I'd want Full HD resolution when using as a monitor but this depends how you're going to use it. If you're going to be using it traditionally i.e. sitting about 1 or 2 feet from the screen, you'll benefit from the extra resolution when using a PC / Mac. I'd also say 32" would be far too big for this usage (for me personally anyway!). In these circumstances, something like the LG 22LU5000 would seem a good bet (hopefully your computer already has some external speakers to see off the sound issues noted about that TV!).

However, if you're going to use more as a TV than a monitor, or you're looking to use it for watching things like iPlayer on your computer i.e. sitting at a greater distance, than maybe Full HD won't be as important, and you could also afford to have a bigger set.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
My friend uses the current Samsung 26" WHF Best Buy as a monitor for his Mac and finds it works well. I have to say, for me, I'd want Full HD resolution when using as a monitor but this depends how you're going to use it. If you're going to be using it traditionally i.e. sitting about 1 or 2 feet from the screen, you'll benefit from the extra resolution when using a PC / Mac. I'd also say 32" would be far too big for this usage (for me personally anyway!). In these circumstances, something like the LG 22LU5000 would seem a good bet (hopefully your computer already has some external speakers to see off the sound issues noted about that TV!).

However, if you're going to use more as a TV than a monitor, or you're looking to use it for watching things like iPlayer on your computer i.e. sitting at a greater distance, than maybe Full HD won't be as important, and you could also afford to have a bigger set.

I've just bought a Samsung 32-inch LED Full HD set for use as both a TV (for Freeview HD, PS3 & Blu-ray) and a PC monitor. Granted, it's on the big side for the latter purpose, but it fits very nicely on my desk, which is pretty deep and has a pull-out keyboard/mouse tray, so I can sit a decent distance away.

While Full HD was important to me for Blu-ray, I was also concerned how good my Windows desktop would look at such a larger size. I wasn't disappointed - after setting display output to 1920x1080, it looked pretty damn good!

A

Anonymous

Hi.I've used a 32inch HD screen { Evesham} for some 3yrs now as my PC.I view from approx. 2.5/3mtrs,wirelessly.No problem-very happy working in Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom. Tonypen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts