Trying to get back to Hi-Fi on a ltd budget

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello. I staretd as an audiophile in the UK when studying for my Masters at UMIST. So I realy know that you love sound and I respect your opinions on it.

Here goes. I have a Linn Sondek Valhala/Ecos/Troika Electrocompaniet EC1 + AW100 and Definitive Technology BP-10 Loudspeakers. As you understand the first part was purchased in 1986 at the UK and the rest here in Greece.

I have had a problem with the MC board of the EC1 which was fixed by the local dealer, but the sound became too aggressive and cluttered so I think he did not do a good job. After that I was realy under a lot of pressure and had not time to listen to music, but I am now considering getting back to it.

What would you suggest I do? I could ask from Electrocompaniet to send them the mc board to fix and return it to me, I could buy a new pre-amp if it has been grosely superceeded and if it does not blow my budget that is low, no more than 1.000Euros. I do not know, what will give me the best result? Changing the pre, or fixing it and changing the speakers, where I am under the impression that enormus advances have been made over the years or jsut buying a new set altogether.

I would also like to be able to hook my i-phone or my computer to it and listen to music (I think it should not be difficult through the headphone output of the i-phone and my computer but what would the quality be like) Would a Denon PMA-1510 AE with a phono pre-amp do a better job?

Heeeeelp.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Now has never really been a better time to get back into hi-fi on a limited budget if needs be - there are many cost effectivce phono stages now available that it might be worth trying something as an alterantive to the inbuilt phono boards - there are very inexpensive options like the Pro-Ject Phono Box but I'd consider looking at something like the Trichord Dino which should offer comparable or potentially better sound (as an outbound model with all the benefits that entails) for a lower cost tha the suggested repair.

The same is true for the iPod - you could simply connect using an effective iPod cable such as QED's new Profile J2P or the Performance J2P, but to get the best digital connection through the iPod, there are some very effective iPod docks on the market for a reasonable price - the NAD IPD2 or for the best possible sound with your set-up within budget, the Wadia 170i transport.

Do you have a dealer locally where you can audition these or arrange a home demo? Having a try with some options for yourself is always worthwhile
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Contact Electrocompaniet before you do anything else. That's a classic, and you'll not find much, if anything, better within your budget.

Edit: In fact, you're probably better off getting Electrocompaniet to service the equipment than buying new.

I don't know your speakers, but for a system like yours (and I'm green with jealousy) I'd be looking at spending around the 2- 3000? mark on those alone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts