Toshiba 46SV685 for £999 - a good deal?

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Well i was all set for the LG 50PK990 when i just see the Toshiba 46SV685DB for £999 (plus £45 delivery).

This had been the only real non-plasma contender for me but at the previous best price of £1399 was a little out of my budget, now i can get a brand new one for £1044 all in. The only real negative i have read on this tv on various review sites was the price (RRP £2500).

I am wondering whether this would be a better buy than the 50PK990 at £1175?

Sun_Shang_Xiang

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Those sound like good prices for both tvs however i've seen neither upfornt.

From reading reviews of both TVs, this is my personal opinion for what its worth.....

In favour of the LG

- Style- Looks better in the lliving room than the Toshiba

- Bigger than the Toshiba - if you're going to get Blu-ray movies I'm sure you'll appreciate those extra 4 inches.

- Already HD Freeview enabled unlike the Toshiba , an HD Freeview box will cost around £180

In favour of the Toshiba

- Great Standard def upscaling - important if you're mainly watching standard def channels or playing dvds but most new movies are also coming onto Blu-ray format. So if you're inot watching tv series dvds that are never going to be made into Blu-ray format this may be important to you.

- Image retention on Plasmas if you're going to be watching channels with logo's stuck in the corner the LG may not be for you.

- Plasma buzzing - All plasma's give out a buzz , however when I visited Comet to look at LG plasmas (not he 50pk990 but the 2 lower ranked models) I got up close to the tvs and couldn't hear a thing.

Of course the best thing to do is try and track down these tvs and have a look at them yourself.

I hope this helps

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Sun, i am leaning more towards the LG at the moment.

I too couldn't hear any buzzing on the 250,350,590 models and there aren't any reports on buzzing that i have read - think it's mainly the Samsungs that are prone to that.

The image retention should decrease after the first 100-150hrs. I have Sky HD and although don't have a Blu Ray i will be planning on getting one in a few weeks/months time.

Decisions, decisions! lol

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
JSM15:
Thanks for the reply Sun, i am leaning more towards the LG at the moment.

I too couldn't hear any buzzing on the 250,350,590 models and there aren't any reports on buzzing that i have read - think it's mainly the Samsungs that are prone to that.

The image retention should decrease after the first 100-150hrs. I have Sky HD and although don't have a Blu Ray i will be planning on getting one in a few weeks/months time.

Decisions, decisions! lol

My PK350 has a buzz, it's slight and only gets noticeable on bright scenes - I am the only one who's noticed it as I was aware this can happen. In my experience I think all plasma's I've seen/heard do this to a degree. Unless you have the set volume turned down very low it's unlikely to be a problem. Aside from that there are no flaws with the screen, it's very good indeed.

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
OK 50PK990 was the winner and order has been placed with John Lewis @ £1199 (price match) - being delivered on Weds ;-)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Congratulations on your purchase, a nice big screen you won't be dissapointed
emotion-21.gif

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Sun & Slewis, looking forward to my delivery on Weds and being from John Lewis i get the 5yr guarantee ;-)

And a new home for the tv coming on Tues - a black Blok Qudos cabinet for a very good price of £159 delivered, from a very helpful chap at av4home.co.uk (another price match lol)

http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/Blok_Qudos_AV150-B_Black_Oak_AV_Multimedia_Cabinet_in_Real_Oak_Veneer.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts