Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M good value for money?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Is it a great day for this guy to think, do he need such "tight" headphones at home? Or should we leave this artifact of the past - in the past?
Votre langage cryptique me vexe, mais peut-être que je suis juste idiot. S'il vous plaît, pourriez-vous m'expliquer gentiment que la vieillesse me vieillit. Merci :)

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Votre langage cryptique me vexe, mais peut-être que je suis juste idiot. S'il vous plaît, pourriez-vous m'expliquer gentiment que la vieillesse me vieillit. Merci :)
It’s about 250 ohms being too much and too inconvenient, what’s the point if you can’t buy a nice headset more than 30 ohms?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It’s about 250 ohms being too much and too inconvenient, what’s the point if you can’t buy a nice headset more than 30 ohms?
I don't know man, I was asking, maybe there's 30 ohms version of the DT 1990?
Some Android phones, like some of the Sony Xperia have special output jacks for headphones.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
No more than 30 ohms?
Stick to that rule and you'll be excluding a hell of a lot of headphone models from your audition.

With such a limited choice, it might indeed be best to forget the idea of any headphone amp.
Headphones 250, 300, 600 ohm - this is atavism, a relic of the past. It is inconvenient. Why do you need this? It is better to use 30 ohm headphones, you will not need to buy an amplifier.

Most audiophiles do not know that high-resistance headphones were relevant 30, 40 years ago, when the audio path was imperfect, with a low signal/noise ratio. Now this problem is irrelevant, but many (including you) continue to buy it.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Headphones 250, 300, 600 ohm - this is atavism, a relic of the past. It is inconvenient. Why do you need this? It is better to use 30 ohm headphones, you will not need to buy an amplifier.

Most audiophiles do not know that high-resistance headphones were relevant 30, 40 years ago, when the audio path was imperfect, with a low signal/noise ratio. Now this problem is irrelevant, but many (including you) continue to buy it.
If I can interject here, there are benefits for both. Higher Ohms are largely used in professional studios, where high sound levels are recorded, high Ohms prevents the headphone from overloading, 30 Ohms isn't going to cut it in a professional studio. Check this link.

Reactions: DougK1

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
If I can interject here, there are benefits for both. Higher Ohms are largely used in professional studios, where high sound levels are recorded, high Ohms prevents the headphone for overloading. Check this link.
This forum discusses home audio, so thank you for your comment, but it is not relevant to the topic.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
This forum discusses home audio, so thank you for your comment, but it is not relevant to the topic.
Happy to assist but if you read between the lines, what I was alluding to, if you pair this with appropriate head amplifier you will experience better sound quality from your high Ohm headset!

If you only want to listen to your music on your mobile or DAP, 30 or less Ohm headphones should suffice.
It isn't relic at all, there's a purpose for both low and high Ohms headsets.

Reactions: Gray

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Happy to assist but if you read between the lines, what I was alluding to, if you pair this with appropriate head amplifier you will experience better sound quality from your high Ohm headset!

If you only want to listen your music on your mobile or DAP, 30 or less Ohm headphones should suffice.
It isn't relic at all, there's a purpose for both low and high Ohms headsets.
It’s about overload, are you often overloaded listening to music at home? It has nothing to do with sound quality. Low resistance headphones sound just as good as high headphones.

Gray

I don't 'buy' anything 🙂.
You're funny.

.... mereley making the point that most people buy with sound quality as the main criteria.....not a desire for the lowest impedance - just for the sake of it 👍

Reactions: DougK1

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It’s about overload, are you often overloaded listening to music at home? It has nothing to do with sound quality. Low resistance headphones sound just as good as high headphones.
Sound quality is much to do with the quality components used but it's fair to assume manufacturers like Beyer make them this way because there's a specific market for them both in the studio and home. You can't just go on a rant and call it an 'artifact of the past' and it's also naive to assume that manufacturers are daft, they put far more research into this, that surpasses any of the rhetoric on this thread.

Let me add some pretext to this Ohms debate; my Hifiman Edition XS Planar Magnet headphone isn't the easiest to drive, however. It has a low impedance of only 18 ohms, but don't let that fool you. With a sensitivity of only 92dB, they need more power than the average dongle dac can provide to sound their best.

Reactions: Dom and DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts