Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M good value for money?

MerseyMal

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
Looking at getting a DAC and noticed that while it reviewed well, this was reviewed at about £450 but the price has since had a 22% price hike to £550.

Is it still good value for money or should I look elsewhere?

record_spot

Yes. Excellent VFM. Excellent DAC.

Incidentally, I purchased mine "Open Box" from Cambridge via their Ebay site. Time it right and you'll get a decent discount off the full RRP. And I'll be damned if mine was Open anything. It was packed, in a brand new box and completely as new. All the accessories were mint and internal packaging untouched.

Last edited:

Dom

I have not heard the 200M personally, but I looked at it in Richer Sounds and considered buying it.

In terms of specs its well equipped with Dual ESS SABRE ES9028Q2M 32 Bit DAC's capable of 768kHz PCM.

Whether its worth the money is subjective. One person might consider it a worthwhile investment while another might not.

I fall into that latter category unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and MerseyMal
Looking at getting a DAC and noticed that while it reviewed well, this was reviewed at about £450 but the price has since had a 22% price hike to £550.

Depends on the usage. I purchased mine just to connect the TV to amp -- somewhat of an overkill.

If you're using it to connect different musical sources that makes it more viable. Yes, good Dac but most of the budget Dacs are, having demoed different brands around that similar price bracket (Arcam, Peachtree, Rega and suchlike).

Reactions: MerseyMal

record_spot

To the OP and on the back of what I was saying earlier, here's a couple of links to the Cambridge Ebay site...

So, £449 or £359 depending if you get the Open Box or the refurbished model. Factor in an Ebay discount if there's one going just now, and you'll save even more. Plus Cambridge give you 30 days to try or return.

MerseyMal

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
To the OP and on the back of what I was saying earlier, here's a couple of links to the Cambridge Ebay site...

So, £449 or £359 depending if you get the Open Box or the refurbished model. Factor in an Ebay discount if there's one going just now, and you'll save even more. Plus Cambridge give you 30 days to try or return.
Ordered an open box for £427 after Ebay discount.

Cheers!

Reactions: record_spot

Gray

Whether its worth the money is subjective. One person might consider it a worthwhile investment while another might not.

So do I.
Nice though it undoubtedly looks, I really think a blind sound test between it and (for example) either of two S.M.S.L. models SU1 for under £100 and the new dC6 at under £200, would prove interesting.

Gray

So do I.
Nice though it undoubtedly looks, I really think a blind sound test between it and (for example) either of two S.M.S.L. models SU1 for under £100 and the new dC6 at under £200, would prove interesting.

Whether or not there is a point in buying a DAC as a separate is highly subjective, the 200m is a high quality and feature rich DAC that has its place along side other separates.
I believe there is every point in buying one as a separate as major advances are being made in this department unlike others such as amplifiers themselves.
It's a bit like buying an amplifier with an inbuilt phono stage, only to find with further equipment changes that phono stage is somewhat lacking.....

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
Does that really matter?
I’ve seen people spend a considerable amount on a DAC, which was arguably a poor investment. In one instance a Denafrips Pontus II, which is about £2k, was being used with an amp and speakers with a combined value of about £700. It would probably have been better to spend the £2k on upgrading other parts of their system first.

There are a few on here who make blanket recommendations without knowing what the associated equipment is. Would you spend, or recommend someone else spend, £500 on a set of tyres for a clapped out old Fiesta?

I was just curious, but arguably something like the SMSL SU-1 mentioned above, for less than £100, would have been more appropriate, based on their existing equipment.

So I’d say yes, though obviously less relevant if they’ve already spent their money.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

record_spot

I’ve seen people spend a considerable amount on a DAC, which was arguably a poor investment. In one instance a Denafrips Pontus II, which is about £2k, was being used with an amp and speakers with a combined value of about £700. It would probably have been better to spend the £2k on upgrading other parts of their system first.

There are a few on here who make blanket recommendations without knowing what the associated equipment is. Would you spend, or recommend someone else spend, £500 on a set of tyres for a clapped out old Fiesta?

I was just curious, but arguably something like the SMSL SU-1 mentioned above, for less than £100, would have been more appropriate, based on their existing equipment.

So I’d say yes, though obviously less relevant if they’ve already spent their money.

Why would a £100 DAC with reduced connectivity, a reduced feature set and no headphone amp be comparable?

The OP's amp was around £400 on release.

The TDL3 transmission line speakers were excellent too.

Your reach is rather off the mark. The OP asked if the 200M was still a good DAC despite the price increase. I'm assuming they - and any other possible buyer - will do their own legwork in determining if it's suitable for their needs.

I gave my views on the DAC and other options in buying one instead of a full price purchase. The OP can send it back if it's not to their liking. I'm not sure where that's bad advice. YMMV.

Dom

I believe there is every point in buying one as a separate as major advances are being made in this department unlike others such as amplifiers themselves.
It's a bit like buying an amplifier with an inbuilt phono stage, only to find with further equipment changes that phono stage is somewhat lacking.....
Unfortunately landco doesn't provide any reasoning in his comment, if he could provide information it could enhance its legitimacy.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Worth considering the WiiM Pro Plus+ at £247 retail price (I got mine for £219) is not far off the Cambridge in terms of sound quality and has a wonderful app you can download on to your Android or iOS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts