bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I've wanted some more heavy stuff on vinyl since I got my TT. I have Opeth's 'Live at the Royal Albert Hall', but that's all. I've been checking e-bay daily, but everything i've wanted has been going for stupid money. Today I got lucky.

I got the limited edition, 2LP Tool - 'Undertow' for £20.

and

The 2LP Tool - 'Lateralus' for £23. It's the proper vinyl version, not the pooey picture disc one.

So, i'm a happy chappy. Especailly about 'Undertow', because I've not seen it for sale before.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't say I'm overly familiar with Tool, but I did buy a CD recently (heard it at the Manchester Show in the ProAc room) by A Perfect Circle called Thirteenth Step, which is the front man's side project I believe (see, I don't even know his name!). It's not as full on heavy as Tool, although it is a little in places, but it's a little more laid back. It's a really good album and worth checking out
emotion-1.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
'Lateralus' is the best, but 'Aenima' is a close second. After initailly liking '10,000 Days', it's now rarely played compared to these two.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:I wouldn't say I'm overly familiar with Tool, but I did buy a CD recently (heard it at the Manchester Show in the ProAc room) by A Perfect Circle called Thirteenth Step, which is the front man's side project I believe (see, I don't even know his name!). It's not as full on heavy as Tool, although it is a little in places, but it's a little more laid back. It's a really good album and worth checking out
emotion-1.gif

'Thirteenth Step' has some monster bass!

Song wise it's not as good as A.P.C's first album 'Mer De Noms'......We had track '3 Libras' as the first dance at our wedding.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
TOOL are awesome

I bought SALIVAL for 20 quid from HMV years ago not realising how rare it was

Theres one on ebay for £65 right now! Theres also one at 20 quid to bid on..........
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Tool are fantastic, everything they have done has merits, and I love 10,000 Days (dedicated to the singer, Maynard James Keenan's mother who was incapacitated after a stroke - for 10,000 days until she died). Hence 'Wings for Marie', one of the songs.

I've seen them live twice and the show is fantastic.

A Perfect Circle songs are shorter and more user friendly, but great nonetheless.

They're very influenced by Rush who have just announced a UK tour next May - including my home town Newcastle (for only the third time in 30 years!). Can't wait! Very Excited!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:
FrankHarveyHiFi:I wouldn't say I'm overly familiar with Tool, but I did buy a CD recently (heard it at the Manchester Show in the ProAc room) by A Perfect Circle called Thirteenth Step, which is the front man's side project I believe (see, I don't even know his name!). It's not as full on heavy as Tool, although it is a little in places, but it's a little more laid back. It's a really good album and worth checking out
emotion-1.gif

Song wise it's not as good as A.P.C's first album 'Mer De Noms'......We had track '3 Libras' as the first dance at our wedding.

It certainly does! I was recommended the Japanese version which had the extended opening track - he reckoned it was the Japanese one that had that bass - I only went by his word as I was not familiar with the album at the time. I use it for demos in store now
emotion-1.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:'Lateralus' is the best, but 'Aenima' is a close second. After initailly liking '10,000 Days', it's now rarely played compared to these two.

I never got along with '10,000 Days'. I think they got a bit self-indulgent on it. The intros to the tracks weren't interesting or skillful enough to be as long as they were. I played it for two weeks, when it came out, to try and get into it, and it hasn't been played since.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:
emotion-1.gif

I agree. 'Mer De Noms' is class.

Has anyone else checked out Puscifer?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
It is good stuff. A complete departure from 'Tool's sound, for Keenan. I only have 'V is for Vag*na', and I love it. it reminds me of Mike Patton's 'Peeping Tom'.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I have both 'Undertow' and 'Lateralus' now.

I've gotta say that I was underwhelmed by the quality of the packaging and the vinyl itself. 'Undertow' had a typo on the outer sleeve (2 Side B's) and the hole in the vinyl wasn't cleanly cut.

'Lateralus' outer sleeve is just a direct copy of the CDs' front and back covers. It even has the HDCD logo still on the back cover! Also, one of the blue vinyl discs was contaminated by black during the production, leaving a couple of black swirls amongst the blue. As with 'Undertow', the hole hasn't been cleanly cut, either.

Luckily, though, that's where the complaints stop, because the quality of the pressings are superb. Both albums sound great.

A

Anonymous

thanks so much for putting me on to A Perfect circle..........fantastic .....any other bands in this genre would be most welcome........cheers.....yes and great bass!

TRENDING THREADS