Streamer Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
I still think £800 for a pretty standard streamer is a ridiculously high price though.

I agree. Hopefully in a couple of years it will possible to pick one up for half of that.

Keep watching the price Steve. Like I said, they once, briefly, knocked £200 off in a flash sale.

As you say, at half the price... we'll both have one. Funny how the Pioneer N50A, if not quite as good, could be done for £349 at one time. Comes down to the fact that while people will pay £800 for the CXN, they ain't gonna stop 'em.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I still think £800 for a pretty standard streamer is a ridiculously high price though.

[/quote]

That's the reason I haven't got one. Of course CA (and WHF) would say it's anything but standard.

As a Pi using pauper, I must say though, that the RuneAudio control app I use could be a lot worse.

But I can see the CXN attractions - for me it would be the screen, 'jog' dial and upsampling.

For many that pre into active potential (balanced if you like) would be very appealing.

[/quote]

But then I find all dedicated hi-fi streamers to be poor value. There is almost always functional issues of one sort or another, be it gapless playback or poor control app etc. The WXC 50 is really very good in most respects but lacks input and output flexibility, though it does set a certain standard at a price that is less outragous than most.

I would have to be very convinced by the SQ to pay £800 for the CXN, let alone the even more ludicrously priced items from Linn and Naim. At some point I am going to have to do some comparative dems to scratch that particular itch.

insider9

Been to RS today and talked about CXN. Interesting to find out here that it doesn't support Tidal. They've not mentioned that even though I specifically said I used my Yamaha with Tidal.

No support for Tidal is simply a no go for me. How can this not be mentioned in a review?

S

SemiChronic

You can Airplay Tidal at 16/44.1 . . but i think it converts to alac for whatever reason.

Spotify 320kbps sounds glorious. Never tried Tidal personally

insider9

SemiChronic said:
You can Airplay Tidal at 16/44.1 . . but i think it converts to alac for whatever reason.

Spotify 320kbps sounds glorious. Never tried Tidal personally
Airplay is 48kHz ALAC. It's not really a hifi protocol. Yes it works but it's not designed with audio quality in mind. Oh and not to mention I'd need an Apple device. I've been through this before. Airplay was really disappointing in my system with audible issues (clicks and dropouts).

Would be better to use Upnp same as I did when Yamaha didn't support Tidal. Again not ideal. I'm surprised that Richer Sounds failed to mention lack of Tidal support. I didn't ask about CXN specifically, just mentioned I'm considering improving my digital source and explained the setup I have. This was supposedly the best product... which ultimately doesn't meet my basic requirements. Disappointed as the unit actually looks nice in real life.

Oh and I've used Spotify before but wouldn't go back unless they offer CD quality.

Regardless of these issues if the unit sounds good I guess it doesn't really matter.

daveh75

The Teuful/Raumfeld Connector is another option for those that need Tidal support, it also has "Chromecast built-in" so therefore wide ranging support for streaming services compared to the typical hi-fi fodder...

https://www.teufelaudio.com/uk/wifi/raumfeld-connector-p9527.html

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:

I agree. Hopefully in a couple of years it will possible to pick one up for half of that.

Build your own for peanuts
Intel HUD
Install whatever software you want
Nothing fancy

Or if you want to go ultra high end no stones unturned high quality
Contact Gazzip for the plans.

insider9

daveh75 said:
The Teuful/Raumfeld Connector is another option for those that need Tidal support, it also has "Chromecast built-in" so therefore wide ranging support for streaming services compared to the typical hi-fi fodder...

https://www.teufelaudio.com/uk/wifi/raumfeld-connector-p9527.html

Indeed, didn't want to derail the thread. Many other units that do Sonos, Auralic, Yamaha, Bluesound.

And just to be clear I'm not criticising either Cambridge Audio nor OP's choice only what I think is sub par service at Richer Sounds. Who suggested a product that doesn't meet my basic needs.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is a very tidy little unit, it has Chromecast rather than Airplay or Bluetooth and pretty basic connectivity but it is currently available for just £119.

I set mine up on an iPad but once that is done, I can control Spotify Connect from any iThing or, most usually, my Macbook Pro. Should I wish, the Connector 2 has native support for Tidal, it has gapless playback and Chromecast for streaming from a hand held.

It all works seemlessly and drives my Adam actives direct, volume in the Spotify client links with the volume on the Connector and since Spotify Connect does not have eq, the Connector 2 gives me that should I want it.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The bluesound node2 performs just as well as a cxn on sound quality, and a bargain to boot at £500.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
The bluesound node2 performs just as well as a cxn on sound quality, and a bargain to boot at £500.

But as you say the 851n is the best streamer so why not just go for that one?

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
No worries about derailments. I like to see where the discussion can veer off to. I might even learn some stuff.

Was looking at the Tidal/Qobuz angle too. I don't use them at the moment but just in case I felt like upgrading from Spotify I wanted to see what options were available.

Already mentioned are Bluetooth, Airplay or Chromecast. None of these are perfect solutions, the Chromecast because it necessitates buying another streamer to make up for the deficiencies of my own.

However, you can also use a USB a-b cable to connect a laptop and stream without loss to the CXN.

hilts10

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Build your own for peanuts Intel HUD Install whatever software you want Nothing fancy

Or if you want to go ultra high end no stones unturned high quality Contact Gazzip for the plans.

Interested in this, could you point me in tne right direction as instructions.

Cheers.

daveh75

Andrewjvt said:
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:

Build your own for peanuts Intel HUD Install whatever software you want Nothing fancy

Or if you want to go ultra high end no stones unturned high quality Contact Gazzip for the plans.

I presume you mean a NUC?

Which really doesn't offer much over a Raspberry Pi that's a fraction of the price. Nor would I describe a NUCs cost peanuts...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
hilts10 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Interested in this, could you point me in tne right direction as instructions.

Cheers.

Take a look a these
Read up about them then we can discuss further.
There are cheap options and expensive just like everything but for music streaming you don't need all that power but you may also want to stream 4k video also somthink about that.

There are loads of makes
I like this enclosure but it's expensive

https://www.logicsupply.com/uk-en/ml100g-10/?cpsrc="uk_shop&agid=computers&kw=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw6ezj4u51wIVchbTCh0SgQR9EAQYAiABEgJKwPD_BwE"

Or these nuc

https://www.scan.co.uk/search?q=Nuc

There are even cheaper casings just type mini fanless mini pc

Some even have optical out

Hope this helps

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Andrewjvt said:
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:

I presume you mean a NUC?

Which really doesn't offer much over a Raspberry Pi that's a fraction of the price. Nor would I describe a NUCs cost peanuts...

Thanks for pointing that out

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Muddywaterstones said:
No worries about derailments. I like to see where the discussion can veer off to. I might even learn some stuff.

Was looking at the Tidal/Qobuz angle too. I don't use them at the moment but just in case I felt like upgrading from Spotify I wanted to see what options were available.

Already mentioned are Bluetooth, Airplay or Chromecast. None of these are perfect solutions, the Chromecast because it necessitates buying another streamer to make up for the deficiencies of my own.

However, you can also use a USB a-b cable to connect a laptop and stream without loss to the CXN.

If people are streaming with a computer with would they need a network streamer?

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm no expert (so will probably be corrected) but it is probably only using the dac at that point. For me it's an added bonus down the line, as I'm not limited to Spotify. For the moment I see no need to change.

Who knows, Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, Qobuz, Deezer etc may not exist in 5 years time. Some other service may have taken over, probably Google or Apple. Have any of them ever made a profit?

Cambridge can actually send updates to the software. I think you have to go and look for it as opposed to it automatically uploading on the machine. Would it be possible for another service to be added in the future? I've no idea.

insider9

Muddywaterstones said:
I'm no expert (so will probably be corrected) but it is probably only using the dac at that point. For me it's an added bonus down the line, as I'm not limited to Spotify. For the moment I see no need to change.

Who knows, Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, Qobuz, Deezer etc may not exist in 5 years time. Some other service may have taken over, probably Google or Apple. Have any of them ever made a profit?

Cambridge can actually send updates to the software. I think you have to go and look for it as opposed to it automatically uploading on the machine. Would it be possible for another service to be added in the future? I've no idea.
Absolutely, that's the point I was making earlier. It sounds good and that all what matters. Cambridge are probably working to add more services as this would broaden the appeal.

S

SemiChronic

Theres always gonna be a problem . .

Wheres the phono stage?

Can i connect my suckanichi 8 track player?

I dont want a full remote control that actually works

Its got 2 dacs, i only want one

Where are the valves?

I want a plastic box, this is metal

I dont want a situation where i wont need to use my phone/laptop or other device to mess about with it

Why does it have an information screen on the front? I only want 2 tiny led lights

Where is the headphone stage?

Can i connect my monitor audio bx2s?

It does lossless streaming, i only listen to tidal

Will my cat enjoy the upsampling?

Etc Etc . .

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm not critising the OP's purchase or the CXN. It's a good piece of kit.

I'm listening to music right now using a streamer. I do it mainly for convenience, because I don't want to be using a PC in the living room, for several reasons.

If using a PC personally I wouldn't get a streamer, for the obvious reason that the computer would be...well...the streamer. But that's only my view on the matter.

I had a CXN (2nd system) and to make a long story short I sold it after moving to a new flat. Great sound, not so great app and software.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts