Tonearm lock, how important to you?

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I recently have been deciding between a Rega RP8 and a Roksan Radius 7 turntable. After some additional research I have found that the Radius 7 with the Nima arm lacks a simple tonearm lock that the Rega has. This may be a deal breaker for me.

With no dust cover, cats, kids, simple mishaps, like an accidental swipe of a finger can make the tonearm swing away and damage the cartridge needle. I'm not understanding this simple yet effective omission. I have even read two reviews of the Radius 5 and both reviewers complained about this. So It boggles my mind that Roksan would carry this over into the 7's new design.

I have emailed Roksan and recieved a simple reply back. Roksan confirmed that the Radius 7, with its updated design, still lacks an arm lock. However, they did not answer my question for the reason why this is. Is there a vibration reason for omitting it? Something else?

What does everyone think? How important is a tonearm lock to you?

I

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:
However, they did not answer my question for the reason why this is. Is there a vibration reason for omitting it? Something else?
Yep, ommiting it saves probably about 10p from the production price. But no doubt if pressed they would say that ommiting it allows them to simplify the design which positively affects the sound quality. HiFi manufacturers have mastered the art of removing what they describe as superfluous facilities, such as speed-change controls, and fobbing you off with a reason that simplifying the build inherrently improves the sound quality. Total rubbish in most cases, the only real reason is to save costs. I was almost going to say that it's the same reason why an iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone socket, but Apple include an lightning to TRS adaptor with every iPhone 7, which surely costs more to include that the darn socket.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I use mine every time I play a record, as it's all too easy to catch the arm and wreck a either stylus or cantilever. Can't think why a TT or arm manufacturer wouldn't have one as standard - tonal affect would be minimal, I'd have thought.

But obviously there's a demand for after market devices, though.

MajorFubar said:
Happy_Listener said:
However, they did not answer my question for the reason why this is. Is there a vibration reason for omitting it? Something else?
Yep, ommiting it saves probably about 10p from the production price. But no doubt if pressed they would say that ommiting it allows them to simplify the design which positively affects the sound quality. HiFi manufacturers have mastered the art of removing what they describe as superfluous facilities, such as speed-change controls, and fobbing you off with a reason that simplifying the build inherrently improves the sound quality. Total rubbish in most cases, the only real reason is to save costs. I was almost going to say that it's the same reason why an iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone socket, but Apple include an lightning to TRS adaptor witdh every iPhone 7, which surely costs more to include that the darn socket.

I might agree however in my experience even the ones that are fitted are pretty much there as an afterthought and, over time, get so loose they fail to act as a lock anyway.

If the OP is desperate he could involve the use of the good-old elastic band. ;-)

This is, of course, a cost saving exercise by Roksan as their dearer arms do have them however rudimentary.

If he wants the Radius I would ask the dealer to replace the Nima with a Tabriz, they are about the same price. :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As far as I am concerened, the arm lock is a 'third hand', I often fiddle and tweak my TT/arm, going through one of those periods now. In fact I did forget to lock my arm the other day, how my cartridge was not damaged I do not know . . . £1500.00 to replace it, scary moment that!!!!

When I bought my Audiomods arm I was given the option, a Rega arm clip or a more attractive uncliped rest. Not to have a clip would be a deal breaker for me. I only use it as a clip when making adjustments, other wise it is simply a rest.

CJSF

CJSF said:
As far as I am concerened, the arm lock is a 'third hand', I often fiddle and tweak my TT/arm, going through one of those periods now. In fact I did forget to lock my arm the other day, how my cartridge was not damaged I do not know . . . £1500.00 to replace it, scary moment that!!!!

When I bought my Audiomods arm I was given the option, a Rega arm clip or a more attractive uncliped rest. Not to have a clip would be a deal breaker for me. I only use it as a clip when making adjustments, other wise it is simply a rest.

CJSF

Ouch, a £1500 cartridge on a Roksan Nima tonearm? Well I guess you could?

Perhaps we care moving away from the OPs question. To my mind if your turntable doesn't have a tonearm lock and you are worried about it the don't buy it or mount your turntable wherever your worries are not going to occur, like a wall-shelf at a decent height.

Which might not be a bad thing anyway looking at the pair he is choosing from. It can only improve sound quality. :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
CJSF said:

When I bought my Audiomods arm I was given the option, a Rega arm clip or a more attractive uncliped rest. Not to have a clip would be a deal breaker for me. I only use it as a clip when making adjustments, other wise it is simply a rest

CJSF

Ouch, a £1500 cartridge on a Roksan Nima tonearm? Well I guess you could?

Perhaps we care moving away from the OPs question. To my mind if your turntable doesn't have a tonearm lock and you are worried about it the don't buy it or mount your turntable wherever your worries are not going to occur, like a wall-shelf at a decent height.

Which might not be a bad thing anyway looking at the pair he is choosing from. It can only improve sound quality. :)

I was not sugesting a £1500 cartridge should be fitted. However I wonder if we under estimate our arms, for instance, my Sumiko sat well in the Rega 300, on my P5 for quite a few months. Replacing an Ortofon M2 Blue, then a Black. I would not have chosen it, had it been a streight purchase, I hapend to pick it up as a trade in, worn cartridge, I had it serviced (checked over) and re-tiped, finishing up with a superb, natural sounding cartrige at considerably less than half the 'full new cost'.

Rega arms and Rega based arms in particular I believe are so under rated because of there modest cost. I recon a properly installed cartridge in the regon of (squeezing the lemon) up to £750, provided the system is set up and matched properly. Probably the 'entry level' turn tables may be pushed to perform with an expensive cartridge, but even here, I think they could do better than they are given credit for?

The amount of times we see miss tracking leveled as a problem . . . poor instalation almost every time assuming the cartridge is not damaged? From the likes of my M2 Blue/R300 upwards, one has never suffered with mistracking, without deliberatly inducing it. There are some good cartridges in the £400-£600 bracket that will bring life to a very moderate system, which brings me to the old Linn slogan, 'Rubish in Rubish out'.

Worth considering while you save your pennies . . .

The sad thing these days is getting to audition any cartridge, its done on hear-say and personal recomendation. The Ortofon Back is mind blowing IMHO . . . I bought one, I could not tollerate it for its totaly analitical, cold presentation in my ststem, I know other who sware by it!

A totaly personal view, CJSF

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
..on cartridge value versus tonearm value. It's all just opinion. Some are just more opinionated than others!

On the subject of tonearm locks, I use mine all the time (Audiomods arm). It's most useful when moving the deck around for cleaning/dusting/fettling purposes.

TRENDING THREADS