To What Hi-Fi Editors: Please clarify USB cable review

highstream

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
The Supra USB review states the following: "The sound isn’t quite as clean as some of the more expensive products, but that’s just nitpicking." As far as I can see from the Reviews link and the magazine, there's only one more expensive USB cable that's been reviewed, or at least is currently listed - the Furutech Formula 2, 2011's "Best." Is that the "more expensive" cable being referred to? It's confusing because the normal practice of choosing Bests seems to be to compare new with the reigning choice, and only change if the new one is better.

Since I'm not in a position to compare cables on loan or return, I've depended on your reviews and found them to be spot on. The only exception to that may be the Audioengine D1 DAC, in which I've found noticeable unit-to-unit variation (three samples). But then I haven't listened to the microstreamer yet.

NOTE: This is directed (primarily) to the editors. Those who do not believe in cable (or other) sonic differences, please do not respond. Thanks.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope you're not hanging off a cliff by your fingernails in lieu of receiving an in-depth answer.

WHF staff very rarely expand on, justify or defend their reviews and ratings via this forum. Least of all for something as contentious as audible differences between different USB cables, which as you correctly perceive, is viewed by many contributors in this parish as voodoo hocus pocus, even by some of those who believe in the differences between different analogue cables and mains treatments.

Maybe my 'bump' will prompt a reply for you? You never know ;)

Welcome, by the way. :wave:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
highstream said:
The Supra USB review states the following: "The sound isn’t quite as clean as some of the more expensive products, but that’s just nitpicking." As far as I can see from the Reviews link and the magazine, there's only one more expensive USB cable that's been reviewed, or at least is currently listed - the Furutech Formula 2, 2011's "Best." Is that the "more expensive" cable being referred to? It's confusing because the normal practice of choosing Bests seems to be to compare new with the reigning choice, and only change if the new one is better.

It's possibly this one: http://www.whathifi.com/review/vertere-pulse-d-fi

highstream

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Their brief comments in the mag don't mention it as a USB, so I missed it. Their quoted Supra comment refers to plural cables, so I wonder if they mean both.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts