To the new Editor of WHF

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
That's right Mr Clough. What Hi Fi. Back on top after a few years' absence, the HF part has now overtaken the SAV part on the number of threads and number of posts. Surely the SAV element needs to take a back seat in the mag, so that you can concentrate more on the revival of 2 channel? Especially with the big boys of SAV like LG getting back in amongst it!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Unlikely - The magazine is about sales. Just because a few nutcases like to talk about HIFI, doesn't mean the average Joe wants less SAV)...

(Not wanting to be controversional or anything but if you want serious HIFI then there are other magazines...WhatHifi is, and always has been a red-top in its delivery (in a good way))
[/quote]

i know, I buy them all

A

Anonymous

Itïs a costly hobby, instead of buying alot of expensive magazines I just buy cdïs.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]Itïs a costly hobby, instead of buying alot of expensive magazines I just buy cdïs.[/quote]

Yes but reading a CD on the train back from work is very dull

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well being a cheapskate I got an HDMI lead with my WHF subscription, a Russ Andrews mains lead with my HFC subscription and given that I buy HFN every month anyway I'm going to get the Crystal Cable interconnect with that subscription this month. Now just HF+ and HFW to get a freebie.

Trouble is I'll have to find something else to read on the train. Where are those CDs?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"][quote user="Jan Hibma"]Itïs a costly hobby, instead of buying alot of expensive magazines I just buy cdïs.[/quote]

Yes but reading a CD on the train back from work is very dull[/quote]

Haha yeah, that's why I listen to them, through a portable audio player and some decent headphones.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well my replacement iPod is on its way after the last one got stolen in a burglary. They stole the Macbook, the iPod, the digi camera and the Nintendo and left the separates system. Tw&ts!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]That's right Mr Clough. What Hi Fi.[/quote]

That's wrong, actually.

Andy Clough is the new edirtor of this website, whathifi,com

The new editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision, the print magazine, is Richard Melville.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]

Surely the SAV element needs to take a back seat in the mag, so that you can concentrate more on the revival of 2 channel?

[/quote]

No, our aim has always been to review as broad a cross-section of products in the magazine as we think our readers are interested in. Of course hi-fi is still key to our coverage, and will remain so, but the rise of home cinema, popularity of DVD and staggering sales of flatscreen TVs are all things we cannot ignore.

Yes, there's still strong interest in two-channel hi-fi, particularly among visitors on our Forums, but the magazine has to offer buying advice on a wide range of products. If people stop buying home cinema, then OK, but at the moment there's no sign of that!

So we've no intention of turning our back on traditional hi-fi, but the market we cover is now far more complex than it was even five years ago, and the magazine (and website) has to reflect that. Yes, that does mean we'll continue to cover sound AND vision, MP3/4 players, media centre PCs and multimedia mobile phones.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]That's right Mr Clough. What Hi Fi.

Back on top after a few years' absence, HF part has now overtaken the SAV part on the number of the threads and number of posts.

Surely the SAV element needs to take a back seat in the mag, so that you can concentrate more on the revival of 2 channel? Especially with the big boys of SAV like LG getting back in amongst it![/quote]

Joelsim, much as I am a two channel man, my Home cinema extending as far as a 28" telly and a DVD player, the thread count idea is dodgy ground, at the point that I'm writing this there are 1957 Hi-Fi threads and 1951 Home Cinema threads- not including 1464 TV and Projector threads, even if you add in my system, hot deals and accessories, Home Cinema/TV threads win.

Who is Richard Melville then? can't remember seeing his name in the magazine, and more importantly will he bring back "mine's a pint"?

Andrew and Andy, I don't know how you manage to put up with us moaning at you all day.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gwyndy"]Who is Richard Melville then? can't remember seeing his name in the magazine,[/quote]

I think he is either "the marketing Guru" or the singer of "Moby"!

[quote user="Gwyndy"]Andrew and Andy, I don't know how you manage to put up with us moaning at you
all day.[/quote]

I guess the same way I put up with my wife moaning at me.....turn off all eyes and ears, blank out the brain and reach that nirvana level of nothing else matter :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I think he is either "the marketing Guru" or the singer of "Moby"![/quote]

Neither of the above.

'Following the earlier promotion of current editor, Clare Newsome, to
Brand Director and Editor-in-Chief, Richard Melville will become
editor. With extensive experience of managing, editing and launching
top-selling entertainment magazines and websites, BAFTA member Richard
will bring a wealth of creativity to What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision,
working with Clare and the team to enhance and extend the magazine's
market-leading position.

"I'm delighted to be part of such an influential and prestigious
magazine as it enters another year of growth and exciting developments
in the home entertainment industry," says Richard, who joins the team
on 4th February.'

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gwyndy"]and more importantly will he bring back "mine's a pint"?[/quote]

Probably, along with the tests of dual cassette decks, blank tapes and graphic equalisers.

It's gone, Gwyndy - let it go...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Richard's new to What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision, and will be online here for you to bend his ears shortly - right now he's where he should be: applying his considerable mag-making skills to the April issue...

Right, back to 101 Panasonic press releases here in a very rainy Spain (and yes, the song's been going round my head for the past two soggy days).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
For all the people who thought I was being serious, I know the mag has to concentrate on all media types. I myself have a plasma and DVD which is connected to my 2 channel stereo. HiFi is more exciting though.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]For all the people who thought I was being serious[/quote]

Nothing wrong if you were being serious! I am sure editors do take note of How many Hifi Nuts are in this forum!

A

Anonymous

I think the reason why high quality music reproduction will always have a more loyal following than TVs or mp3 phones etc. is that music carries a greater emotional content. And what is the point of life if not to feel emotions?
A recent BBC doucumentary about cinema had an interview with an IMAX cinema manager, he said that he originally thought the importance of reproducing the sound and visuals was about 50% / 50% - i.e. to captivate your audience both elements were equally important. However he now thinks, to portray to the emotional content of the movie, the importance is about 70% sound, 30% visuals.
Another interview with a film director said many a poor film is saved by having a great score. He said basically you could film a dog peeing against a lamp post, but put the slow movement from Mahler's 5th Symphony behind it and it will have emotional gravitas.

jules.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jules153"]I think the reason why high quality music reproduction will always have a more loyal following than TVs or mp3 phones etc. is that music carries a greater emotional content. And what is the point of life if not to feel emotions?

A recent BBC doucumentary about cinema had an interview with an IMAX cinema manager, he said that he originally thought the importance of reproducing the sound and visuals was about 50% / 50% - i.e. to captivate your audience both elements were equally important. However he now thinks, to portray to the emotional content of the movie, the importance is about 70% sound, 30% visuals.
Another interview with a film director said many a poor film is saved by having a great score. He said basically you could film a dog peeing against a lamp post, but put the slow movement from Mahler's 5th Symphony behind it and it will have emotional gravitas.
jules.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Think how poor Miami Vice would have been without music.

I've also seen a few dogs in my life too (films that is!)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"] I guess the same way I put up with my wife moaning at me.....turn off all eyes and ears, blank out the brain and reach that nirvana level of nothing else matter :)[/quote]

We are sailing on the same boat brother! LOL.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="unleash_me"]We are sailing on the same boat brother! LOL.[/quote]

???

[/quote]

How do you know that I look like Leonardo? shame that my wife look nothing like Kate Winslet!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]How do you know that I look like Leonardo? shame that my wife look nothing like Kate Winslet![/quote]

Nah, mate - you look nuffink like 'im...

A

Anonymous

Obviously my prophetic statement struck a deep resonance with the readership....
emotion-8.gif

emotion-2.gif

jules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts