CD Player - back to the future

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
MrReaper182 said:
You can get some great CD players second hand. I'll get on ebay and look around the charity shops If I was you. I once found a Bang & Oulfsen CD player in a charity shop which I brought for 50 quid and sold online for 300 quid.

If you have time to spare I would concur. If you simply want a decent CDP to keep then you are barking up the wrong tree and not really relevant to the OPs question.

Why? You can get a great CD player second hand. I have broght many a grat CD player from Ebay, charity and carboot sales and I still own most of them. I only broght a 700 quid audiolab CD player because I wanted to know if it sounded better then some of the good second hand players I own and It does but the difference are very minimal sounding. I will tell anyone looking for a new CD player to buy second hand that way they will save cash and still get great sound.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I don't have any issue at all with the notion of buying second hand apart from the associated risks of never quite knowing how well treated it's been.

It's just a case of which one to buy in each scenario. Logic tells me that, for the 2nd system, something like a budget Marantz or Yamaha would do a perfectly good job and I can buy them new so no issues there.

The main dilemma is if I buy one for the main system as I still haven't managed to identify which would be of a suitable standard either new or s/h.

I know the Linn Akurate has a decent DAC so, shoot me for the stupid question, but in view of that why would a budget CD player not suffice there as well? That's actually the choice I am struggling with - not sure if budget + Linn is ok or, if not, which decent s/h one to buy.

Too many choices.

MrReaper182 said:
Al ears said:
MrReaper182 said:
You can get some great CD players second hand. I'll get on ebay and look around the charity shops If I was you. I once found a Bang & Oulfsen CD player in a charity shop which I brought for 50 quid and sold online for 300 quid.

If you have time to spare I would concur. If you simply want a decent CDP to keep then you are barking up the wrong tree and not really relevant to the OPs question.

Why? You can get a great CD player second hand. I have broght many a grat CD player from Ebay, charity and carboot sales and I still own most of them. I only broght a 700 quid audiolab CD player because I wanted to know if it sounded better then some of the good second hand players I own and It does but the difference are very minimal sounding. I will tell anyone looking for a new CD player to buy second hand that way they will save cash and still get great sound.

I think you have highlighted my concerns significantly.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Paulq said:
I don't have any issue at all with the notion of buying second hand apart from the associated risks of never quite knowing how well treated it's been.

It's just a case of which one to buy in each scenario. Logic tells me that, for the 2nd system, something like a budget Marantz or Yamaha would do a perfectly good job and I can buy them new so no issues there.

The main dilemma is if I buy one for the main system as I still haven't managed to identify which would be of a suitable standard either new or s/h.

I know the Linn Akurate has a decent DAC so, shoot me for the stupid question, but in view of that why would a budget CD player not suffice there as well? That's actually the choice I am struggling with - not sure if budget + Linn is ok or, if not, which decent s/h one to buy.

Too many choices.

Maybe just buy the budget player for the second system, but try it on your main system first, with its own dac, then the systems primary dac and you'll then be able to judge for yourself if you need to spend more money or just buy a second one the same

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts