to replace nad 355 with creek evo2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I expect my Epos Elan 30s to be delivered in the next 7-10 days. Haven't chance to audition them but I used Epic 5 as a reference model. I m aware the demo itself will tell, but the dilema is here waiting to be answered: is an Creek's Evo2 amp a step up comparing to a NAD 355 I already use? Any comment appreciated.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
The Creek Evo 2 is an excellent amp, but how it compares with the NAD I have no idea, other than it looks better
smiley-wink.gif

Not seen the Elan range yet in the UK, where are you based? Presumably you enjoyed the Epic 5, did you not fancy a pair of them? What is the difference in price?

A

Anonymous

I m from Serbia. To my ears the Epic 5s were lacking the attack in lower end, although the overall sound was really good. The Epic 5s cost 950, the Elan 30s - 1200 euros.

matthewpiano

I've heard both amps but unfortunately not together so it is hard to be conclusive. I suspect you might find it a bit of a sideways move or at best quite a small improvement. Both are superb amps but I think you would need to be looking at the Evolution 5350 or the Destiny 2 if you wanted a really significant upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for the feedback.MP, the comment you posted cross my mind.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

MP, the comment you posted did cross my mind. I suspect it takes at least double the price of the 355 in order to make some substantial improvements.

tatamata said:
Thanks guys for the feedback.MP, the comment you posted cross my mind.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

MP, the comment you posted did cross my mind. I suspect it takes at least double the price of the 355 in order to make some substantial improvements.

No - Nad produce very good amps but it will be very different to the Creek. I'm slightly biased toward the Evo - I love it. However, I'm not familiar with your speakers and they may well benefit from the Nads extra muscle.

For me, the Evo is one of the best sub-£1,000 integrateds.

A

Anonymous

Evo2 and Elan are made under the same roof so one may expect they might be a great combo.

tatamata said:
Evo2 and Elan are made under the same roof so one may expect they might be a great combo.

Ah, that doesn't guarantee they'll automatically gel. I've heard the Evo2 with my RS6s and the Epos M12i and the Creek/MA combo compares very favourably with the Epos.

I think you need to hear both (if poss) before you can decide. Personally, my flag would wave with Creek colours. The whole amp oozes class: It looks really impressive, one of the best remotes (not thye plasticy things you normally find), and sounds sublime with the right speakers. But as mentioned before I am biased.;)

matthewpiano

As a counter to PP's admission of bias, I also have to admit my own bias towards NAD amplification. I've always been a fan and I generally feel their amps compete well above their price point.

Ultimately I think the best thing would be for you to live with the Epos speakers being driven by the NAD for a while. You can see how that goes and, if you feel you need something more, it would then be worth auditioning the Creek as well as other options. I think any amp consideration should include more expensive amps such as the 5350 and Destiny, and something like the Roksan Caspian, as well as the Creek Evo and something like the Audiolab 8200A.

matthewpiano said:
As a counter to PP's admission of bias, I also have to admit my own bias towards NAD amplification. I've always been a fan and I generally feel their amps compete well above their price point.

Ultimately I think the best thing would be for you to live with the Epos speakers being driven by the NAD for a while. You can see how that goes and, if you feel you need something more, it would then be worth auditioning the Creek as well as other options. I think any amp consideration should include more expensive amps such as the 5350 and Destiny, and something like the Roksan Caspian, as well as the Creek Evo and something like the Audiolab 8200A.

Copycat...;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts