Brio R / Creek evo 2 + RS1 / Epic + ??? = a new system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After a lengthy brake, and in the honor of a new job, I decided to pickup where I left with the compilation of the new hi fi system (please refer to http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/new-stereo-system-urgent-please for any additional explanations). My main problems are the following: a) the fact that I am a new in this game, and do have limited experience (on which I was working during the previous time period but due to which I would prefer a system composed out of new units ) b) as well as positioning of speakers (close to the rear wall, some 15 cm from the wall) and c) limitations imposed by the local hi fi market (limited variety of goods sold mainly through small stores).

Due to the limitations imposed by the proximity to the back wall I have decided to have a listen to Rega RS1 and Epos EPIC speakers (which have finally arrived in local stores) in addition to 705 and 706 and dallis which I have listened previously.

In combination with these speakers logical amplifiers would be either rega brio r (like the phono section) or creek evo 2 (like the ability to connect AVR to it). Relating to that my first question is the following did anybody had a chance to listen to the combination of creek amplifier with RS 1 or rega amplifier with epos epic speakers? And what are your impressions?

Also I am planning to purchase a new cd player following come to mind Apollo (or the new Apollo r), evo 2, Yamaha S 700 and Audiolab 8200 (mainly due to the available DAC since I am planning an addition of a unit which will enable me to listen internet radio). Question imposed is similar to the previous one, if you had a chance to combine these cd players with previously mentioned amplifiers and speakers.

The final issue is combining a internet radio with the system (in the near future), possible solution which comes to mind is Logitech squeezebox touch, however I am opened to other suggestions (nad c446 for example has an appeal due to the integrated tuner as well as music streamer). Since I do not have any prior experience with music streaming and listening to Internet radio over the hi fi system, I am puzzled how do you choose internet radio (can u access only pre defined stations or one can select a station which he desires) and is external DAC a must?

On top of this I have a one final question, since there is a nice offer relating to magnum cd player and amp (50 w version) what is your opinion having in mind previously stated, would it represent a better choice than one of previous combinations?

Thank you for your time,

A

Anonymous

Have forgot to mention budget which is up to EUR 2 thousand.

Thank you beforehand,

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Not heard the combinations you mention, but I can confirm that a Creek/Epos combination should give you excellent results.

The Evo2 CDP in particular I'm particularly pleased with, so much life and detail.

The Brio R does have the benefit of a phono stage, but does not have a headphone output. The Evo 2 on the other hand does not have a phono stage fitted as standard but does have a headphone socket. I bought the Creek phono board seperately and fitted it myself, so simple to do.

Whichever way you decide to go, the Rega or Creek are both excellent pieces of kit. I plumped for the Creek eventually as I already had the Epos speakers and I just prefer the look over the Rega.

Although not had the privilige to hear the Creek combo and Epos speakers, the Evo2 amp is superb bit of kit and is easy to system match. Sounds great with Arcam, Monitor Audio... no doubt, if you wish to mix 'n' match it'll sound wonderful with Rega Apollo.

Can't comment on the Rega apart from the learned members on here who say an all Rega kit is sublime.

albireo

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I know I won't answer your exact query, however I'm trying the combination Creek Evo (1st gen) + Epos M5i at the moment...and it sounds bloody marvellous!

A

Anonymous

First of all I wish to thank you all for your responces. Creek combination which i had an opportunity to listen (evo 2 + m 12 was wery interesting however as i stated in the rpevious topic in my oppinion speakers let the combination down).

Since rega, creek and audiolab are sold by seperate stores oportunity to have an audition of all components is far fetched due to this i would appriciate any past experience.

Thank you once more

sky_nm said:
First of all I wish to thank you all for your responces. Creek combination which i had an opportunity to listen (evo 2 + m 12 was wery interesting however as i stated in the rpevious topic in my oppinion speakers let the combination down).

Since rega, creek and audiolab are sold by seperate stores oportunity to have an audition of all components is far fetched due to this i would appriciate any past experience.

Thank you once more

Exactly how is the Creek let down by the speakers? What don't you like about the Creek/Epos combo?

A

Anonymous

in my opinion the largest issue with m12 speakers was close to wall possitioning (EPOS recomends gining them more space than i could) however i am anctious to have a listen of creek combo with "new" epic speakers.

according to people who expressed their oppinion here, i thank you once again, creek + epos is preffered to rega combo ? would be interesting to have a test of both ...

to repeat my previous question did anybody had an opportunity to audition synthesis magnum 50w amplifier and magnus cd player, what are your impressions? http://www.synthesis.co.it/verve-magnum.php

also in your oppinion what is the most elegant and cheap way of listening to internet radio ower hi fi system?

thank you all once more

btw did some research on my own and it appears that logitech can play other than pre defined internet radio stations however it appears that it might have some issues with external hdds of greater capacity ?

A

Anonymous

Well tonight I had a opportunity to listen to something which was quite memorable. With a couple of my friends we went to a local audio “guru” Mr. Sinisa Rankov (owner of sinevoice company). We were listening to his speakers model 77 (floor stander) and 7 (bookshelf), source was old Philips CD recorder and amplifier was friends advance accustic (MAP 101 however which plaid only in a class due to the sensitivity of the speakers which was 90db+) and afterwards some no name hand built amplifier with vacuum tubes. As you can see source and amplifier were quite basic and low budget, however Sinisa’s opinion is that speakers are the most important part of any system, off course one would expect that having in mind his line of work. And I was skeptical, especially having in mind amplifier and later on seeing the source, although both of my friends had an opportunity to listen to these speakers before. I have to say that during my limited experience I did not have opportunity to listen nothing so detailed and with such a bass, best part of the story is that speakers can be modified (i.e. they are custom made) to soot my preferences and placing. BUT and here there is a huge but when we have changed from his CD’s (variety of music including Bach, Albino, Fado, Pink Floyd, some faddo step dancer etc.) to my test CD(including variety of music from jazz to Metallica, music copied as waw from audio cd’s to pc and vice versa) and later on Led Zeppelin Mother ship (purchased recently, unfortunately re-mastered version) and ORFF Carmina Burana I was let down with each of these cd’s simply put in my opinion tested speakers are unforgiving towards the bad production.

The main problem which I am faced with is the following if I decide to purchase these speakers, how much of my cd collection will need to be replaced and how can I replace it if production has to be not good but excelent, also will I be able to listen to anything which is not high quality (i.e. radioparadise over the internet or something similar). Or should I just purchase something more commercial knowing that this great thing is there and I can purchase it but I chose to settle for something which is more agreeable and more tolerant to different sources.

I thank you for your time and your opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts