replacing NAD 355

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I intend to replace my 355, the budget is limited. Having this in mind, which of these would be the best replacement:

Creek EVO 2

Rega Brio R

Marantz PM7004

Audiolab 8200A

What kind of improvement should I expect?

I use Epos Elan 30.

Any comment appreciated.

matthewpiano

Although all the amps you list are very capable, I don't think you are likely to see massive improvements. In the main, the sound will be different rather than necessarily better. The C355 is an excellent amplifier and I think you would have to spend quite a bit more to see big improvements.

What are you specifically looking to change about the sound of your system?

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Although all the amps you list are very capable, I don't think you are likely to see massive improvements. In the main, the sound will be different rather than necessarily better. The C355 is an excellent amplifier and I think you would have to spend quite a bit more to see big improvements.

What are you specifically looking to change about the sound of your system?

+1 :) The improvement won't be too much and C355 is strong in Rock music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies, guys.I m looking for the improvement of the sound transparency and detail. I missed the oportunity to get discounted Audiolab's 8000p+8000q combo (older models but separates too). As I already have a problem with bass load due to furniture arangement, I want miss to much NAD's bass grunt. What about adding NAD C165 preamp, its within the range?

Thanks for your replies, guys.

I m looking for the improvement of the sound transparency and detail. I missed the oportunity to get discounted Audiolab's 8000p+8000q combo (older models but separates too). As I already have a problem with bass load due to furniture arangement, I want miss to much NAD's bass grunt. What about adding NAD C165 preamp, its within the range?

matthewpiano

Okay, if it is about transparency then I think you may well be able to achieve what you are looking for. You have hit on an area that NAD amps perhaps don't do quite as well as others, and I would look beyond the brand in this instance.

I would suggest auditioning the following:

Rega Brio-R

Rotel RA-1520

Roksan Kandy K2

The K2 is a little more coloured than the other two, but it might just strike a nice balance for you. It is somewhat of a more grown-up NAD offering the power and punch of the Canadian amps with an extra dose of refinement and detail. The Rega is a very musical little amp with superb spatial capabilities, and the Rotel is very much of the lean, clean and detailed school of amplification.

If you fancy trying something second hand, try giving a Pioneer A400 a spin. You might be surprised.

The Leema Pulse MKII would fall into your catagory. It is massively transparent, detailed and very punchy. It'll struggle IMHO to beat the Nad for bass depth, but in all other aspects game over.

And they were going recently for between £500-£600.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I previously owned C355 but later changed to Leema Pulse MKII as C355 lacked transpency and details though it got lots of bass. I mostly listen to Jazz vocals and seldom on rocks. If you go for Pulse I would recommend MKII and not III which looks more professional.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Pick up a copy of Hi-fi News & Record Review today and read the amplifier group test before buying a Rega Brio-R.

The Cambridge Audio Azure 651a amplifier gets a 'belter' of a review.

matthewpiano said:
Good call Chebby. The CA is an excellent piece of kit and well worth an audition, particularly as it really excels at the transparency and detail side of things.

Sorry to the OP - small hi-jack

Matthew - what are the your Wharfedales like? Heard their predecessors 9.4 in my local electrical shop, powered by a Sony amp (I think), although it was a few years ago.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:
Good call Chebby. The CA is an excellent piece of kit and well worth an audition, particularly as it really excels at the transparency and detail side of things.

Matthew - what are the your Wharfedales like? Heard their predecessors 9.4 in my local electrical shop, powered by a Sony amp (I think), although it was a few years ago.

They are very good PP. They don't boom at all and I'm getting a very nicely integrated sound right across the frequency range. I feel they might benefit from a slightly more transparent amplifier than the NAD to get the absolute best out of them, particularly with regards to soundstaging which can be a little diffuse with the NAD (I briefly tried my old Kenwood KA3020SE which tightened this up considerably but which unfortunately is faulty). Voices are a particular strength. I'm quite sure there are better floorstanders out there for a lot more money but I think Peter Comeau achieved a very effective balance.

matthewpiano said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:

They are very good PP. They don't boom at all and I'm getting a very nicely integrated sound right across the frequency range. I feel they might benefit from a slightly more transparent amplifier than the NAD to get the absolute best out of them, particularly with regards to soundstaging which can be a little diffuse with the NAD (I briefly tried my old Kenwood KA3020SE which tightened this up considerably but which unfortunately is faulty). Voices are a particular strength. I'm quite sure there are better floorstanders out there for a lot more money but I think Peter Comeau achieved a very effective balance.

For some reason the Diamond floorstanders tend to be by-passed on this forum.

Have you tried them with your Cambridge amp yet? That could be a tasty combo.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:

For some reason the Diamond floorstanders tend to be by-passed on this forum.

Have you tried them with your Cambridge amp yet? That could be a tasty combo.

Unfortunately I sold the 650A to fund the NAD. I am quite tempted to try a CA amp with them. I agree it could be a tasty combo and might just achieve the ideal balance of qualities (within what is reasonable to expect from relatively affordable components of course).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts