Time to upgrade the Rega Dac

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of the Chord Qute thats going for about £900.

The Rega is nice and all, but it was more for a dabble in the Dac world. I'd like something fitting the quality of the rest of my gear now...

CNO...you about? You helped me on the amp so wondering what you think? Sorry to call you out... No pressure ;)

Anyone got other suggestions?

Thanks

My system is:

Dynaudio Focus 110's

Electrrcompaniet ECI 5 MK1

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would possibly try the TEAC UD501 or the Resonessence Concero at that price. The Concero HD is also in budget if you require DSD playback.

Regards

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
It's a good question...

One I'm hoping I'll find an answer to.

I'll obviously be demoing anything that gets suggested.

The thought's behind this, is that I'm going to create a 2nd system. So I'd upgrade the Rega for my main, and use the Rega on the 2nd system.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
afterworks said:
Also there's this thing...

Schiit Gungnir

http://www.electromod.co.uk/product-detail.asp?P=36

Anyone heard it?

Thanks.

No did not know about that one, its made in the USA so maybe a bit expensive in UK at £850 compared to $850 in US.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
afterworks said:
It's a good question...

One I'm hoping I'll find an answer to.

I'll obviously be demoing anything that gets suggested.

The thought's behind this, is that I'm going to create a 2nd system. So I'd upgrade the Rega for my main, and use the Rega on the 2nd system.

Good luck with that many of these are not easy to come by in the UK. I presume you are UK based?

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I am, hence the Chord interest as I can demo that.

It would at least help with spotting the difference between 400 and 900 pounds worth of DAC.

That Metrum Hex looks interesting, just rather a lot of money!

The Schiit is getting some good reviews, plus I will be in the states in November so I may be able to bring one home.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
afterworks said:
That Metrum Hex looks interesting, just rather a lot of money!

The Schiit is getting some good reviews, plus I will be in the states in November so I may be able to bring one home.

There is a Metrum Octave 2 as well for £800.

Bringing in DACS will be subject to VAT and maybe import duty!

Do you know what dac chip the Schiit has?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
afterworks said:
CNO...you about? You helped me on the amp so wondering what you think? Sorry to call you out... No pressure ;)

Hi there.

I'm nearly always about (a little sad - I know!)

If you would consider a Streamer, I would look at a Linn DS (either Sneaky or Majik DS). They are the best I've heard for the money.

Failing that, possibly a Bel Canto Dac. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/398-bel-canto-design-dac-15-eone-processor-review/

Hope you are still happy with your previous choice.

Cno

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

how can the Linn DAC sound best be described?

(Chord was in a HiFi Choice blind test, but did not score very well)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
NHL said:
Hi,

IMO. It steers away from being sterile and analytical, by being more musical and analogue sounding.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If you want to check out serious dacs, I would whole heartedly recommend the Leema Elements and the M2 Tech Young dacs. Both sound sublime but the Leema edged it for me as I wanted a pre amp and it sounded a smidge broader. Try and get a couple on home demo to hear how they sit in your setup.

Oh and BTW, dont rule out the Leema on the basis of the WHF review as I think it rocks! :rockout:

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
NHL said:
Hi,

IMO. It steers away from being sterile and analytical, by being more musical and analogue sounding.

sounds interesting, do they have a proprietary technology for that or is it careful component matching only?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
NHL said:
sounds interesting, do they have a proprietary technology for that or is it careful component matching only?

They use their own upsampling and filtering for the DS range.

You might find this helpful: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=15456

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
afterworks said:
BigH said:
The Electrocompaniet PD 1 DAC won one group test in HIFi Choice but that thats about £1,300. Benchmark won the 2010 group test.

Interesting, I see them pop up for about £750 ex display sometimes.

Yes but lots of nearly new gear is well reduced. Ive seen Arcam A19 for £409 only 2 weeks old. Leema ex demo for about half price. So yes it pays to shop around.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
The Rega is a great product. I'd be surprised if there is a meaningful improvement from upgrading it to be honest.

What he said!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts