Time to stop dwelling - Time to start deciding

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="Captain Destructo"]
For God's sake man, get rid of the Arcam equipment, buy yourself some 'budget' marantz, NAD, rotel or something similiar, anything else, combine with suitable 'budget' speakers - the smaller the better for your room - and enjoy.

The fact that you spent that much on that amp instead something like Naim is CRIMINAL. You can't add what isn't there. You're electronics sound boring. I know, I have an Arcam Alpha cdp/amp (will be trading them in soon enough) and have heard yours in store. Nothing ...NOTHING you can do will add any excitement.

Sell them or trade them in, and start again. I implore you.
[/quote]

nonsense.[/quote]
It's an excellent amp...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]It's an excellent amp...[/quote]Agreed.

John Duncan

[quote user="Hughes123"]Work for the British Heart Foundation as a volunteer already on a satuarday morning...plenty of laughs and I get a nice cup of tea and some buscuits...and, yes there are hobnobs for a certain someone if he's interested... : )[/quote]

Bit counterproductive in their line of work, I'd have thought.........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm still amazed that you like your JVC amp on a par with your Arcam but I agree with most people here that your speakers are indeed the weakest link in your set up - the person who advised you to buy budget Marantz must have been joking. I've seen some Ruark Prelude II speakers for £630. These would match your needs and although they are floorstanders they are small, 88cm x 21cm x 22cm. Or if bookshelf speakers it is, Jamo C803 (£700) or pricier, MA GS10s (ex demos on www.ssav.com), or more expensive ATC SCM 11s.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I've seen some Ruark Prelude II speakers for £630[/quote]

that is quite expensive mate when you consider that the (so much) better Talisman III can be had ex-demo for £200 more.

Hugh....keep dwelling mate

A

Anonymous

Hmm...cheap Marantz or my Arcam...let me think... ; )

I think I'll keep on dwelling until something really catches my eye or a company launches a new model.

What speakers have you had over the years Thaiman, you sound like a guy who likes similar music to me! I remember you said you had some Amphions (is that what they are called) and that they made a smaller standmount model which was nice (wiered tweeter area design of cabinet I remember) what were they?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]What speakers have you had over the years Thaiman[/quote]

That would took a few pages to answer that question although my next pair (on order now) should last me a lot longer than normal.

[quote user="Hughes123"]I remember you said you had some Amphions [/quote]

The Amphion I had was the Xenons and they are fabulous, the smaller pair call Argon which has the same tweeters and mid/bass drivers but not the giant side woofer of the big brother.

2-2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Almost all the speakers mentioned here are TOO BIG FOR YOUR ROOM. Get it, too big, will sound horrible. You need something no bigger than 30 cm tall. Also, you've said that you prefer your old JVC to the Arcam - what does that tell you? Something pretty major is missing. I also prefer my old Denon receiver to my current Arcam amp, at nearly 4 times the price. Arcam are your typical hi-fi brand, in other words they represent all that's wrong with hi-fi (excpet for the CD192, which is decent). They are made to appeal to people who don't like music. If, however you like your music collection, and don't listen to perfectly recorded musak, you will hate them. Start over, at least trade in the amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts