New Amp Time..almost!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
radiorog said:
NAD 326 = 50w into 8 ohm

That's the question I was asking and, to non-techie people like me, where it becomes VERY confusing. This is from the NAD data sheet on the C326BEE:

50W x 2 Continuous Power into 4 ohms and 8 ohms

100W, 150W, 200W IHF Dynamic power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively

So, as if the 'wpc vs speaker impedance' debate isn't already confusing enough the manufacturers cite 'dynamic power' which is greater than 'continuous power'. What???

So, in my simple head there are some questions that I am gonna go insane if I don't get my head around:

1 - When we talk about enough 'power' to drive demanding speakers - let's take the Dynausdios as a particularly demanding example and work back to easier ones from there - are we looking at an amp's continuous power OR dynamic power?

2 - For speaker specs like the Dyns (4 ohms, 85db) - what is the minimum continuous power output from an amp that I'd be looking for? Bear in mind I listen at fairly moderate levels - on the Marantz PM6005 the dial rarely troubles past 10:00 in a small room driving the Silver 1's. However, in around 6 months I am hoping I have saved enough to buy the Naim Nac C272/NAP250 Combo with eithe Dynaudios/Kudos Super 10's or PMC's. However I mat decide to do this iteratively and buy the speakers first, hence the questions now. That will be a crime not to take a bit louder but, again, it won't be to window shattering party levels.

I feel very stupid - I don't remember it was ever this complicated in t'old days. *dash1*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Skimming through your question, I hadn't spotted that you had quoted "dynamic power" (which is simply an amps ability to cope with transitory, short bursts of power).

"Continuous power" is the level that an amp can comfortably sustain over long periods.

Sometimes listening with your particular speakers clarifies things.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Cno and IQ for your comments, my girl has been running it all day and it's deeply impressive. The bass was quite 'bloated' out of the box but thats tightened up now and settled down. It looks fantastic in silver and I would've gone for that but it would be a serious colour mismatch in the rack.

It's an amazing piece of kit for the money (does it qualify as furniture with the illuminated window at the front?) and I've had orders that it's not going back. No reply to that apart from a stupid grin ;.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paulkebab said:
It's an amazing piece of kit for the money (does it qualify as furniture with the illuminated window at the front?) and I've had orders that it's not going back. No reply to that apart from a stupid grin ;.
I bet the need to use tone controls has diminished somewhat.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
paulkebab said:
Cno and IQ for your comments, my girl has been running it all day and it's deeply impressive. The bass was quite 'bloated' out of the box but thats tightened up now and settled down. It looks fantastic in silver and I would've gone for that but it would be a serious colour mismatch in the rack.

Mind if I ask where you got it from? A quick squiz with a well known search engine didn't throw too much up in terms of UK availability.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
Mind if I ask where you got it from?  A quick squiz with a well known search engine didn't throw too much up in terms of UK availability.
If you like the Hybrid route and Vincent isn't available, you could look at Pathos, Croft and Unison Research Unico.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the tone controls are a bit redundant at the moment as were the Yamaha's most of the time but I almost had to completely turn the bass off when it was running from new. As things are settling it's running flatter but as things get louder the bass is a little OTT so gets a nudge down. The soundstage is so realistic it's almost scary, this amp just deceives you into going louder and louder but still sounds smooth and refined with fantastic detail, something the Yamaha could never do. The volume just increases with no change in the style of presentation - unforced, relaxed, and tricking the brain into thinking 'well its not shouting so it can't be that loud' . Nothing could be further from the truth, it's deceptively powerful, engaging and definitely has a massive 'grin factor'.

I had trouble finding the Vincent outlet too, try www.vincentshop.co.uk

Have fun!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paulkebab said:
the tone controls are a bit redundant at the moment as were the Yamaha's most of the time but I almost had to completely turn the bass off when it was running from new. As things are settling it's running flatter but as things get louder the bass is a little OTT so gets a nudge down. The soundstage is so realistic it's almost scary, this amp just deceives you into going louder and louder but still sounds smooth and refined with fantastic detail, something the Yamaha could never do. The volume just increases with no change in the style of presentation - unforced, relaxed, and tricking the brain into thinking 'well its not shouting so it can't be that loud' . Nothing could be further from the truth, it's deceptively powerful, engaging and definitely has a massive 'grin factor'.

I had trouble finding the Vincent outlet too, try www.vincentshop.co.uk

Have fun!
I'm delighted that you've seen (heard) the light....which ironically means that you sometimes have to tread the path less well lit.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
as I mentioned I'm always open to ideas and suggestions, especially concerning things that I've not been in touch with for a few years. I'm a bit surprised that I've actually ended up with this Vincent amp, I fully expected a Naim to be sitting here now, but wow, it's one of the best things I've ever bought.

Today the Vincent has more detail or should I say even more detail, bass 'bloom' has all but gone but still got the bass nudged down a bit. Yes, it's taken patience and money to 'see/hear the light' but not a single regret. Thanks again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paulkebab said:
as I mentioned I'm always open to ideas and suggestions, especially concerning things that I've not been in touch with for a few years. I'm a bit surprised that I've actually ended up with this Vincent amp, I fully expected a Naim to be sitting here now, but wow, it's one of the best things I've ever bought.

Today the Vincent has more detail or should I say even  more detail, bass 'bloom' has all but gone but still got the bass nudged down a bit. Yes, it's taken patience and money to 'see/hear the light' but not a single regret. Thanks again.

I've been through something very similar before - http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/cyrus-6xp-or-leema-pulse-rs6

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
paulkebab said:
as I mentioned I'm always open to ideas and suggestions, especially concerning things that I've not been in touch with for a few years. I'm a bit surprised that I've actually ended up with this Vincent amp, I fully expected a Naim to be sitting here now, but wow, it's one of the best things I've ever bought.

Today the Vincent has more detail or should I say even more detail, bass 'bloom' has all but gone but still got the bass nudged down a bit. Yes, it's taken patience and money to 'see/hear the light' but not a single regret. Thanks again.

Now that is one good looking amp, as in the specs (and physically). Congratulations. I had never heard of Vincent (sounds like a follow up song!) until now. It makes me wonder just how many quality amp manufacturers there are out there that I've not heard of (and I'm meaning ones that produce amps that lime this one are aaaalmost affordable for me)? Would love to hear one of these. Enjoy! :)

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
very interesting and really highlights some of our problems - sometimes we analyze a bit too much although when money on this scale is involved it has to be justified hence that vicious circle syndrome.

Radiorog it looks even better in the flesh/metal/glass, and as you imply there's a lot of companies here in the UK, maybe 'just down the road' making fabulous things we don't even know exist. Take time, patience and relaxed ears to everything you listen to in your search. I can't thank people on here enough for so many diverse options they gave me, some things I never even considered or understood. As I said I listened to many things and fully expected a Naim, Arcam, CA or MF amp in front of me right now. None of them made me sit up, they made me listen yes, but not one of them dragged me into their world. The Vincent is on a different level, they will also send a demo unit to you for use in your own setup on a sale or return basis. For me this is the deal-breaker, nothing can replicate your equipment or surroundings and at the end of the day, that's where your outlay has to justify itself.

Have fun.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts