Tidal and drop outs

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing a lot of drop outs on Tidal , thi mainly occures at the beginning or end of tracks.

I never had this issue till I changed my Broadband provider to BT. They believe it is a wirelss issue and have tried a few things to fix it. I have seperated wireless channels etc. I have contaced Tidal 2 months ago but they still cant solve the issue.

Anyone had similar issues or any suggestions

Steve

insider9

I had issue while with Sky broadband. It was due to poor WiFi and not Tidal as Qobuz was also affected. Lossy services like Spotify played fine.

If you can't use wired connection I'd suggest either router upgrade or signal boosters.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I moved from Sky for a faster speed and my problems started -)

I have considered a new router but I am contacting BT first as surely they have an obligation to me as I have just signed up to an 18 month contract.

I guess I am just a bit concerned that a new router or signal booster does not solve the issue

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are technically savvy and have a laptop, there are software tools that allow you to extract the diagnostic data from your WiFi card and give a pretty good summary of your WiFi landscape. You can spot busy channels, noisy signals and can choose an unused, quiet channel to use. 'InSSIDer' used to be the much loved and free application of choice although I think you may need to pay now. I am sure there must be free alternatives, just be careful where you download from.

I gave up on the router / Wifi combinations and I now use Ubiquiti Unifi, which I could highly recommend. It has diagnostics built in.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
andyjm said:
If you are technically savvy and have a laptop, there are software tools that allow you to extract the diagnostic data from your WiFi card and give a pretty good summary of your WiFi landscape. You can spot busy channels, noisy signals and can choose an unused, quiet channel to use. 'InSSIDer' used to be the much loved and free application of choice although I think you may need to pay now. I am sure there must be free alternatives, just be careful where you download from.

I gave up on the router / Wifi combinations and I now use Ubiquiti Unifi, which I could highly recommend. It has diagnostics built in.

Unfortunatly I am not that technical i am afraid, so the above sounds a bit daunting to me. I am prepared to spend a bit of cash on this if I can get it sorted though. I just dont want to waste cash by spending and not getting an improvement.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
This sounds great. Currently have a main router and a slave set up to fix Wi-Fi issues. How hard are they to set up? Also can see that they can be put outdoors as well.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
It might just help others narrow things down - could you explain precisely how you stream Tidal? Direct PC connection? Airplay?

I used to get problems streaming with Airplay, particularly when I had friends round and their devices were handshaking with my router. All the traffic used to freak Airplay out a bit. So I tend to use wireless to iPad, but direct connection to my AV receiver (USB).

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Leeps said:
It might just help others narrow things down - could you explain precisely how you stream Tidal? Direct PC connection? Airplay?

I used to get problems streaming with Airplay, particularly when I had friends round and their devices were handshaking with my router. All the traffic used to freak Airplay out a bit. So I tend to use wireless to iPad, but direct connection to my AV receiver (USB).

My Devialet 200 is connected to my Melco via USB. The Melco is connected to my router with ethernet cable.

I use the Linn Kazoo app on my Ipad to control Tidal. Do you need any further info?

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The Melco is connected by Ethernet yes, the iPad is obviously wireless. It’s frustrating as it worked great when I had sky . It could be a coincidence but the day I switched to BT my problems started

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
This sounds great. Currently have a main router and a slave set up to fix Wi-Fi issues. How hard are they to set up? Also can see that they can be put outdoors as well.

If your question is about Ubiquiti, they are great. I have a house that rambles around a bit, and I have 5 access points. I have 'all bars' full strength WiFi throughout the house. The access points all have the same SSID and password, so devices jump from access point to access point. I bought the optional central controller that allows for seamless handoffs - just like a cellphone. Should you wish to, you can wander about streaming to (say) a laptop or on a Skype call and the connection will jump to the next access point without dropping as you move around. Very cool. There is a similar system, Ruckus, but that is many times the price. My Sonos system uses the Ubiquiti Wifi, not its own mesh network, and I find Ubiquiti far better.

It is really an enterprise system, and will support up to 255 access points on a single installation (an office or hospital for example), however it is relatively straigtforward to fit. The access points are powered down the ethernet cable, so it makes placing the access points easier. It isn't plug and play, you do have to configure the system from a laptop or similar, but for a basic home system it is easy enough.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Mac, I hope your increased speed helps, but if it’s a WiFi issue I am not sure it will. I went to Bt for the increased speed and my problems started there. Until then Tidal was working more or less flawlessly .

My trouble is the end of a track it sometime just stutters. But it’s the same place on the track every time I believe

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Here is exactly what happens and I will use the new Django Django album Marble Skies as an example.
On the first three tracks at least and others further on the track either stops or skips excatly 2 seconds from the end of the track, then goes to the next track.
Some albums are ok, some are not, but it does spoil the enjoyment.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
So your hardwired to the internet though the streamer but still having issues it sounds like lag to me where the internet speed slows down and then speeds up again .

have you tried resetting the router there should be a place on it where you use a pin in a small hole that’s the reset hole try that and if that doesn’t work phone BT up and ask them to test your phone line and internet connection just in case there is a fault on your line .

as long as the internet speed is stable you shouldn’t have a issue but upgrading to a higher speed will not change anything but what is your current speed with your internet ? You can get a app on iTunes that will test your speed if that helps .

then the other option is also to reset your streamer as This might be a problem with your internet or your streamer so probably better to reset both and start again .

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
@Blacksabbath

Thanks for your post. I have tried all of the things you suggets. BT have tested my line, I have done a reset of the router...tried just about everything i think.

The speed is excellent in betwenn 60-70MB.

The MELCO acts as the streamer to the Devialet. the Melco is hardwired. The Devialet is not, this is connected to the Melco with a USB cable

I have just played the same tracks on Tidal on my IBasso DAP and they play right to the end with no issues at all

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Womaz said:
Here is exactly what happens and I will use the new Django Django album Marble Skies as an example.On the first three tracks at least and others further on the track either stops or skips excatly 2 seconds from the end of the track, then goes to the next track.Some albums are ok, some are not, but it does spoil the enjoyment.

It's so damned frustrating... it's not just my music that's affected, can't get on the net at all too... if I go a few steps into the kitchen with the laptop it's fine

Sky said that a combination of the laptop, Sonos, Apple products and Alexa could be slowing the connection down... if it doesn't work, I won't be happy.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
So have I got this correct your got 2 different streamers ? Or 2 different ways of connection ?

The melco is like a HD, all my music is stored on there, I have no issues with my FLAC files. The Melco is also used for Tidal, and I use the Linn Kazoo app to control the Melco.

The Melco is connected to the router with an ethernet cable,. The Devialet is the amp, this is not hard wired to the Ethernet, it is connected to the Melco with a USB cable.I only get the issues when using Tidal.......does this make sense?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The more WiFi products you have in your house the slower the WiFi connection is if you have everything on the same channel as my router has 2hz and 5hz channels which is duel band

I have some things on the 5hz channal and others on the 2hz but the 5hz channal is faster and less traffic on it then 2hz channal And I also use the hardwired connections to run as much as I can so not to use the WiFi

i also have WiFi extenders upstairs because both the 2hz and 5hz channals are rubbish upstairs and even the extenders have to be reset sometimes and my router and I am with virgin media and getting high speed broadband but I get my router lockup sometimes so have to reset mine .

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I live in an apartment block and I dont really have a lot of wifi products. I also sit about 2 meters if that from the hub

I have the BTSmart hub and they have recommended i use dual BB so I have split it and have the 2 and 5hz now. This has not helped unfortunatley

On the BT community forum a very helpful gut has suggested a single band router as it has 13 connections or something .

I may give this a go. I am not brilliant with tech and I run my own business from home so I am terrified to mess up my broadband as i could not work

I am at a loss what to do to be honest.....the consensus is its a wifi issue

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Is there any other way of making the connection Melco and Devialet without using the USB just to see if this would change things ?

so the Melco uses something like google cloud online storage as a example

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I doubt there is another way.

The Melco is effectively a hard drive, all my music is stored on there. All my FLAC files ripped from my CDs and the downloads I have bought.

I have no idea how it accesses tidal, I control it from my IPad with the Kazoo app

For me the annoying thing is I moved to a faster BB service and this is where my issues started. It has to have something to do with BT, wether its the router or something else

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes this internet company’s give you a re- conditioned router that someone else has had because when I upgraded my broadband speed with virgin media they sent me a secondhand router .

but how I have my Yamaha wxc50 streamer is connected hardwired then I use my iPad to choose my music so it’s just 2 connections hardwired then WiFi on the iPad

have you checked the tidal settings on the app ? Or resetting the tidal app

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have deleted and reinstalled the Linn app, but nothing changes.

I think i have no alternative but to try another router. The one I received looked brand new mind, but I think a few BT users have had compatibility issues.

I dont get this at all mind as my Melco is connected via ethernet cable......baffles me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts