DRM-protected iTunes downloads and Sonos

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi, after toiling away with Airport Express drop-outs and glitches for over a year I finally snapped at the weekend and bought myself a Sonos ZP90 to stream music to my Hi-Fi, and I'm getting along with it very nicely.

There's just one issue that I'm having though that I hope someone out there can help with though...

A few albums/tracks that are on my NAS drive simply do not appear for selection in my Sonos library. I think that these are DRM-protected downloads that my girlfriend bought a while back when iTunes downloads had DRM - would that make sense - would Sonos simply not have rights to play these and therefore not display them?

Does anyone know of a way around this as the Mrs is obviously a bit miffed to have paid for these but not be able to play them without faffing about and connecting the MacBook directly to the Hi-Fi.

Cheers.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Can't you just go back on itunes and get the non-drm versions?

I don't know, can you (without paying for it again I mean, obviously)?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Dan Turner:
the_lhc:Can't you just go back on itunes and get the non-drm versions?

I don't know, can you (without paying for it again I mean, obviously)?

OK - it seems you can 'upgrade' to the non-DRM version for 20p per track. Apple's munificence is boundless....

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
But not all tracks are available in itunes plus format (256kbps non-drm), I understand. I have read somwhere that apple can unlock the tracks for a fee?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just go to the iTunes Store, click on 'iTunes Plus' then 'Buy All'.

You said there are only... "a few albums/tracks" so it won't cost much. (I am assuming a few quid isn't much to someone with a Naim/Sonos/Neat system.)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:
You could always burn the tracks to CD and then re-import them.

Nice one. That's a great idea actually. Now you've said it I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it!

Cheers Messiah!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Dan Turner:Messiah:You could always burn the tracks to CD and then re-import them.Nice one. That's a great idea actually. Now you've said it I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it!
Cheers Messiah!

But won't they still be 128k (rather than 256k) and still have DRM?

And the rip counter - on each track that is still DRM - will have advanced by one.

I'd just pay the 20p per track and get the higher quality (with no DRM). Actually I did.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Just go to the iTunes Store, click on 'iTunes Plus' then 'Buy All'.

You said there are only... "a few albums/tracks" so it won't cost much. (I am assuming a few quid isn't much to someone with a Naim/Sonos/Neat system.)

Ah, I just checked in iTunes and it's actually 389 tracks! At 20p per track that's the best part of £80. I'm not sure I want to give Apple £80 for a load of tracks my girlfriend already bought from them! I think I'm going to get the CD of anything she really likes and then do as Messiah suggested and burn the rest to CD and re-import.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ah ok then.

389 is not a few.

I did mine as soon as iTunes announced the upgrade to AAC+

So they would appear now and then in 'batches' costing just a few quid, and this was over a period of months so the cost was spread out.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I did the itunes plus thing, but I still have 128 drm ones - the ones not available in intuens plus format. What are the options for these?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts