Thoughts on moving to a hifi from Sonos?

barneybear

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

In the living room we have a sonos playbar + sub for TV/music. We were thinking of getting a dedicated hifi - perhaps a arcam a19, suitable speakers and a sonos connect. In reality we'd still be streaming from spotify etc, rather than buying CDs. Do people have any thoughts on the difference in sound quality with such a route? Worth it? Or just stick with what we have?

thanks.

barneybear said:
Hi,

In the living room we have a sonos playbar + sub for TV/music. We were thinking of getting a dedicated hifi - perhaps a arcam a19, suitable speakers and a sonos connect. In reality we'd still be streaming from spotify etc, rather than buying CDs. Do people have any thoughts on the difference in sound quality with such a route? Worth it? Or just stick with what we have?

thanks.

on what you want, and expect from further expenditure. Do you want more speakers? A traditional hifi setup? Is this the beginning or the end ?

If you are just wanting a taste of the potential then go for it. And enjoy the ride.

If you like the results, you'll be back for more.... Like we all are... Lol

barneybear

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks.

I think I'd like to go back to having a traditional hifi setup, but I'm being realistic I'm not going to start buying CDs again (I think). I'm just trying to get some feedback about the sound differences. Presumably it is noticeable given the speaker quality difference? But then the source material is likely to be the same (sonos connect-> spotify). I like the Sonos gear and I have to say it makes music more accessible, just trying to maximise the sound quality I guess.

I was thinking:

- Arcam A19 amp

- B&W 685 speakers

- Sonos connect

or alternatively, would an Arcam airDAC + ipad let me connect spotify to the hifi

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the biggest difference you'll notice will be because of the format of the speakers. Larger woofers in a larger cabinet will provide much deeper and richer bass.

The hi-fi system you propose looks good to me. But be aware that there are some stonking deals around at the moment, e.g. from Richer Sounds. It's also worth looking on ebay, especially for dealers' second-hand goods. Buying from a recognised dealer on ebay is less risky than buying from a private individual.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
visionary said:
Why not just a Connect:Amp and a set of speakers? Keeps the box count down and it's a good amp if you're not looking to connect other items, e.g. CD player

It has a line-in though so you could connect a CD player, although I'd question why you'd want one once you've got the Sonos up and running.

barneybear

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
visionary said:
Why not just a Connect:Amp and a set of speakers? Keeps the box count down and it's a good amp if you're not looking to connect other items, e.g. CD player

It has a line-in though so you could connect a CD player, although I'd question why you'd want one once you've got the Sonos up and running.

Because it gives me the option to change my mind. I have an old cambridge audio CD player which I may choose to connect. But this isn't my current thinking.

barneybear

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
matt49 said:
I think the biggest difference you'll notice will be because of the format of the speakers. Larger woofers in a larger cabinet will provide much deeper and richer bass.

The hi-fi system you propose looks good to me. But be aware that there are some stonking deals around at the moment, e.g. from Richer Sounds. It's also worth looking on ebay, especially for dealers' second-hand goods. Buying from a recognised dealer on ebay is less risky than buying from a private individual.

thanks. But given I have the sub + playbar would that comment still be applicable?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts