Thorens turntables

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

camcroft

The Eagle has landed its in good condition I had to do a bit of a setup balancing the arm but now it seems to be tracking quite well. I took off the Wand / Arm and replaced it with the one from my original TD147 that has the MP11 mounted I tested it with an old LP that someone put in as packaging to pad a vinyl album I bought and it was fine so I braved to with one of my own and it sounds good I cant actually turn it up at the moment as we have a baby in the house. Once I have had a good session I will then decide whether or not to upgrade the cartridge thanks to some good suggestions from Al ears I have a spare wand so I might just go ahead as then I will have a choice of cartridges to use. Below is a photo of the new deck and what I am playing at the moment
IMG_0280.jpg

Reactions: Al ears

camcroft

Cleaned up the platter today ( I know that it won't stay that way ) the AT-VM95 cartridge is ordered arriving tomorrow. I am away till Friday then I will be fixing the cartridge to the arm / wand and finishing the set up ready to start using it.
IMG_0281.jpg

Cleaned up the platter today ( I know that it won't stay that way ) the AT-VM95 cartridge is ordered arriving tomorrow. I am away till Friday then I will be fixing the cartridge to the arm / wand and finishing the set up ready to start using it.
View attachment 3111
for what it's worth, and it isn't cheap, I am led to believe that replacing the turntable mat with a Thorens leather one can lead to noticeable improvements and might move worth looking into in future if funds allow.
Hope you enjoy the AT

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

for what it's worth, and it isn't cheap, I am led to believe that replacing the turntable mat with a Thorens leather one can lead to noticeable improvements and might move worth looking into in future if funds allow.
Hope you enjoy the AT
I have a non static mat that I bought for the original deck which I will be putting on
Flat and very supportive.
IMG_0282.jpgIMG_0283.jpg

Last edited:

camcroft

Just waiting for the delivery of the AT cartridge. I rebalanced the arm whilst waiting and I must say that the MP11 is no slouch and saying its roughly 30 years old it still sounds very good I think it sounds better than the Ortofon 2m Red thats on my Project turntable I know its a different deck but it sounds quite good.I keep forgetting that I need to turn the record over too used to the Cd version.

camcroft

Update now that I have realised my spare arm / wand is compatable to a top fixing
I have re-ordered the at-vm95ml cartridge which will arrive tomorrow and I have a generic finger lift which can be installed with the cartridge for the positioning of the stylus to the groove.
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg

camcroft

Up and running with the at-vm95ml quite simple to fit but needed a hand from the boss with her nimble fingers .Seems to be tracking ok had to play around with it at first not judging it yet time will tell.

camcroft

Todays transformation. I received my new dust cover today. Picture 1 is the original that has a crack on the front and damage along the front seam. Picture 2 is a clear replacement that cost me £60 from a dealer here in the UK this lid is for a Thorens TD 166 but it is the same size as my TD 147 and will fit other Thorens turntables of the same size. It has no provision for hinges so is a place on cover but I think it could be modified to take hinges. I am very happy with the new look of my turntable
IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg

camcroft

I have just fitted a Paratrace stylus to my AT- VM95ML / RigB I removed the ML stylus and fitted the Paratrace stylus and I have had a good listen for a few hours. Firstly I thought there isn't much between the two I then put the ML stylus back in and listened some more with one particular track and then changed back to the Paratrace and the information is much better in all areas . My Thorens TD-147 is now singing. But it is still early days.
IMG_0356.jpg

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
in the 70´s and early 80´s ,thorens were the best ,today i never tried or saw one . I don´t remenber the cartridge or stylus that were installed at the time

Gray

Today I have managed to fit hinges to my Place on dust cover for my Thorens TD 147.
It is much better than having to remove the cover every time I play a record.
View attachment 3423View attachment 3424View attachment 3425
Nice.
You had to go easy drilling into the nice wood.
IMG_20220507_180315_MP~2.jpg
This is my 160S. Just had to hack the baseboard to fit the RCA sockets.
(Mains and signal cables were a bit too close together in the original exit point, so I put a bit of distance between them at the same time).

TRENDING THREADS