This is completely bonkers!

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I heard this on 6music yesterday, it did make me lol a fair bit. They interviewed some young trendy type who was talking about how cool and trendy vinyl is and how it made his bachelor pad look cool, but then admitted he didn't own a turntable. <facepalm>

Saying that, I do have a Ferrari keyring somewhere in one of my drawers.

K

keeper of the quays

plastic penguin said:
Owning records and not having the means of playing them seems a waste..im just listening to george solti conducting gotterdammerung...on decca records..these turntabless twits are missing out..wagner on mp3 via smart phone aint so smart!

Long may it continue.Also noticed hmv selling frames for your album art so we can hang it on the wall.Reminds me as a teenager I used to hang up my vinyl covers with drawing pins(ouch)my fave was a stranglers album called the raven,it was a 3d image and looked great in the day.i'm sure it'll be a rare item today.

abacus

High quality streaming services, CD’s etc. give a far more accurate rendition then can ever be achieved with a turntable, due to the limitations of vinyl, however physically they fall well short when it comes to tactile feel, (They lack big cover sleeves etc. which people crave for) hence the reason that a lot of people buy vinyl, not for the sound of it, but to get this tactile feel.

I do agree vinyl sounds nice, but it falls well short on realism compared to modern lossless formats; however adding tactile feel cannot be underestimated.

Bill

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Well, that's the nature of hype... and of human being. I remember reading that some hipster magazine, here in Spain, gives cassette tapes as gift. Probably most of its readers don't have any tape player.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
Perhaps these young trendy people don't realise you need a turntable to get the best results out of a circular grooved piece of vinyl. *fool*

The use of the cover of Pinups seems quite appropriate in context. Quite a lot of the 'vinyl revival' seems to be a retro-fashion thing, driven by the likes of Urban Outfitters, with Sainsbury's et al jumping on the bandwaggon to make a few quid out of it.

They'll all move on as soon as the people with big beards and man-buns spot something else shiny and post-ironic. Or are told they should.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
abacus said:
High quality streaming services, CD’s etc. give a far more accurate rendition then can ever be achieved with a turntable, due to the limitations of vinyl, however physically they fall well short when it comes to tactile feel, (They lack big cover sleeves etc. which people crave for) hence the reason that a lot of people buy vinyl, not for the sound of it, but to get this tactile feel.

I do agree vinyl sounds nice, but it falls well short on realism compared to modern lossless formats; however adding tactile feel cannot be underestimated.

Bill

Actually I do think many recent records do sound better on vinyl but thats because of the mastering which on most mainstream albums is compressed. Then again you need a half decent turntable not some usb effort.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
abacus said:
High quality streaming services, CD’s etc. [have the potential to] give a far more accurate rendition then can ever be achieved with a turntable, due to the limitations of vinyl,

Corrected that for you :) More's the pitty that the potential SQ of digital media like CDs is all-too-often deliberately compromised.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

brownz said:
plastic penguin said:

I heard this on 6music yesterday, it did make me lol a fair bit. They interviewed some young trendy type who was talking about how cool and trendy vinyl is and how it made his bachelor pad look cool, but then admitted he didn't own a turntable.

He also called them 'vinyls', which some are guilty of on this forum.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
Yes I was reading an article about vinyl buyers, 48% don't even play the records. I will find it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36027867

I don't play all of my records, but for two simple reasons, I have far too many of them, and not enough time.

Yes but they don't play any it seems.

It's a fashion, it'll fade, and then us music lovers can start getting the records at sensible prices again.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
Yes I was reading an article about vinyl buyers, 48% don't even play the records. I will find it.

I don't play all of my records, but for two simple reasons, I have far too many of them, and not enough time.

It's a fashion, it'll fade, and then us music lovers can start getting the records at sensible prices again.

Yes I quite agree. I went to a record fair last Sunday the prices of used records is a joke, £10 for tatty old records.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:

In the meantime take advantage of others' stupidity and pass-on anything you no longer want for a good price :)

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
brownz said:
plastic penguin said:

I heard this on 6music yesterday, it did make me lol a fair bit. They interviewed some young trendy type who was talking about how cool and trendy vinyl is and how it made his bachelor pad look cool, but then admitted he didn't own a turntable.

Hanging is too good for him! :)

DizzyPenguin

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
I went to a record fair last Sunday the prices of used records is a joke, £10 for tatty old records.

I wondered about those fairs. I guess I won't bother going and just carry on chancing it at charity shops... and buying lottery tickets in the hopes of winning a small fortune so that I can put a Music Matters order in!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DizzyPenguin said:
BigH said:
I went to a record fair last Sunday the prices of used records is a joke, £10 for tatty old records.

I wondered about those fairs. I guess I won't bother going and just carry on chancing it at charity shops... and buying lottery tickets in the hopes of winning a small fortune so that I can put a Music Matters order in!

Maybe it was just where I went, cds used were £6-£8 for bog standard ones such as Wish You Were Here, can buy online for about £1. I may take some of my lps in, see what he offers for them but I suspect not very much. He had Tommy for £40, I have a similar condition one.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

MajorFubar said:
In the meantime take advantage of others' stupidity and pass-on anything you no longer want for a good price :)

I've regretted selling so many records in the past, I'm finding it harder and harder to sell records, even when I have more than one copy. I've got over a hundred to sell now, but I keep going through them, and putting some back on the shelves. *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Al ears said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
brownz said:
plastic penguin said:

Hanging is too good for him! :)

*biggrin*

You're not wrong.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DizzyPenguin said:
BigH said:

There can be bargains found at record fairs, but it's generally over-priced. It can be worth going first thing to look for a bargain, and then again in the last hour, to see if you can negotiate a good deal if the seller has had a bad day.

I got a near mint original copy of Grace by Jeff Buckley for £20 a year or two ago, which even then was a good price, and now would be great. I don't think you'd get a near mint copy under £60 anywhere now.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
crazy state of affairs

in actual fact i feel a sense of embarassment browsing in my local Fopp now for fear of being labelled a bandwagon jumper

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Duncan Willis (student) first make up that blinking bed! Secondly, as for the yearning and the romance of vinyl, the times of your parents when they had to go out of their way to buy a record, I bet they played the bloody things! Seriously where do they find these idiots?!

Hipsters I kind of get, trainspotters and students remain a complete mystery... ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts