Thinking of plonking my ProJect Debut Carbon on this?

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
imagejpeg

Will it be ok for this? Do not want anything bolted to my bedroom wall, just something sturdy, simple and neat!

Best

Danny

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
The pic shows first of all then doesn't show after I've sent it. Never mind.

This is the best i can do I'm afraid.

http://store.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/equinox-hi-fi-single-shelf-180mm

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks chebby.

The Atacama one i have my eye on is £85

do i really need an ultra stable support? Will a cheap small table really do?

regards

danny

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gooner26 said:
Thanks chebby.

The Atacama one i have my eye on is £85

do i really need an ultra stable support? Will a cheap small table really do?

Yes. Especially the second one. Very solid and stable. (And the Atacama only has three legs which is hardly stable.)

Purpose built AV/hi-fi stands are mostly hokum and always overpriced.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Well that's more money saved. Thanks for that chebby!

Im blind buying my first ever Turntable to plug into my M80. I've heard from a couple of Meridian experts the M80 will not let me down. It's incredible with a Squeezebox Touch so expecting great things hopefully!

Just purchased my first ever Vinyl to, The National, Trouble will find me, Jimi Hendrix, Axis bold as love & Wild Nothing, Nocturne

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmm three legs are more stable than four — how many wobbly three legged stools have you ever come across compared to four legged tables?

Having said this — I do plan to buy one of those Ikea tables to put my hifi one — my amp and DAC will fit perfectly on the shelf underneath

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
yeah like how the **** 'the bass tightens up with this rack'

what a load of bollocks ffs

Mind you Hifi Racks Podium are reeeaally nice :)

IME. A rack "can" make a difference.

IE. Things like:

- Material/s that it's made of

- The design

- How effectively it isolates the components on it from vibration

- Whether it lets resonance within components drain out

- How solid it is

Here is Lavardin's take on it (What is the best rack to put an amplifier): http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-faqE.html#support

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with Chebby on this one. Yes, over-priced racks for digital componants can be questioned (do 1's and 0's really care?), but if ever there was a need to isolate a piece of hifi equipment from either vibrations through the floor from the speakers, or footfall on wooden sprung floors, it is a TT. Plus of course better quality racks or shelves allow far easier levelling, that again is vital for TT's.

The other factor here is that cheap solid plinth TT designs such as Rega (sorry!) don't have the benefit of a sprung sub-chassis (like, for example, Thorens and Linn decks) to absorb many of the outside vibrations that are so easy to trransmit through a stylus and back out into the room. In other words unless you properly isolate your deck you risk getting a rather muddy sound.

The best solution for a Rega, particularly with wooden floors, is a wall shelf (assuming the wall is solid and not modern flimsy vibrating internal plasterboard over a wooden frame). Failing that a table that allows both levelling (adjustable spikes, like on floorstanding speakers) and a de-coupling shelf system is best. You can often get s/h bargains on ebay, and for a vinyl centered system using a solid plinth deck like a Rega it is probably the best upgrade you will ever make.

Oh, and incidentally, a 3 legged design is in theory inherently better as the problem with four legs is unless you can carefully adjust them you risk having a rocking motion (sometimes a very small one, but potentially one that will affect the sound of a TT) where two of the four legs make better contact on an uneven floor or where the bottom spikes are poorly adjusted (same thing happens with speakers). It is for that reason that a lot of isolation platforms come with 3 feet or spikes under them rather than 4.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
I disagree with Chebby on this one. Yes, over-priced racks for digital componants can be questioned (do 1's and 0's really care?), but if ever there was a need to isolate a piece of hifi equipment from either vibrations through the floor from the speakers, or footfall on wooden sprung floors, it is a TT. Plus of course better quality racks or shelves allow far easier levelling, that again is vital for TT's.

The other factor here is that cheap solid plinth TT designs such as Rega (sorry!) don't have the benefit of a sprung sub-chassis (like, for example, Thorens and Linn decks) to absorb many of the outside vibrations that are so easy to trransmit through a stylus and back out into the room. In other words unless you properly isolate your deck you risk getting a rather muddy sound.

The best solution for a Rega, particularly with wooden floors, is a wall shelf (assuming the wall is solid and not modern flimsy vibrating internal plasterboard over a wooden frame). Failing that a table that allows both levelling (adjustable spikes, like on floorstanding speakers) and a de-coupling shelf system is best. You can often get s/h bargains on ebay, and for a vinyl centered system using a solid plinth deck like a Rega it is probably the best upgrade you will ever make.

The OP already stated that any wall mounting was a no-no...

"Do not want anything bolted to my bedroom wall"

He proposed to use a single 180mm level from an Atacama rack unit instead...

dd82cb92508cb5275389aa2d0415ecba.jpg

... presumably on the floor or a piece of furniture.

A sturdy, solid wood table (500mm height), like the one I suggested, with a shelf to brace it seemed far better. (And levelling is not a problem if you have solid wood legs to fit something like these ball and socket, levelling/locking feet...

small-series-adjustable-feet-full.jpg

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
If i did buy the Atacama stand i will be just placing it on carpet on the floor in my bedroom.

I'm planning on using a Rega Fono Mini A2D as my Phono pre amp, will i be better off sticking to one of ProJect's phono amps, USB is a must!

Best

Danny

What is the rest of your system? Why do you need the phono amp?

If you are plonking it on he floor I hope you are young as the frequent stooping will soon do your back in.

Try putting it on something to bring it up to waist height.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I'll only be using a small set up (meridian m80).

I love checking waveform and DR range, sad i know.

Seriously though it should not be to much trouble for my back bending over even though I'm a creaky old 36!

Best

Danny

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts