The XTZ A100-D3 - Avoid or not?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
2011-02-09%2021.24.10.jpg
2011-02-09%2021.24.10.jpg
http://www.audiosanctum.co.uk/Integrated-Amplifiers/XTZ-Class-A-100-D3-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-Silver-and-Black.html

Anyone got experience with these? They come with a two year warranty and the fact that you can change the power Class is just incredible to me. [Another rival magazine] rated it extremely well, saying that if it cost £1500 they would still consider it good.

Spending about £700 on an amp just now and I have seen some Musical Fidelity XT-100's around for £650 or so as ex-dem units. Not sure what direction to go in just now, so some guidance would be great. I am using Mission 782's right now, but I want to change to Monitor Audio GR60's or something similar, quite soon. So I will be needing an amp with a fair bit of drive for a multiple woofer speaker. I am upgrading from a NAD C326BEE, which I am not terribly fond of.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:XTZ are at the Bristol Show in a few weeks...

Any chance of the kit appearing in the magazine? Apparently the build quality for the price is supposed to be incredible, should be able to spot at the show :).

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
There's been some XTZ stuff in the mag, including the CD player which matches the amp you've mentioned.

I'd also like to see a review of the amp, but I'd really love to see what the team think of the 99 series speakers.

A

Anonymous

bigblue235:
There's been some XTZ stuff in the mag, including the CD player which matches the amp you've mentioned.

I'd also like to see a review of the amp, but I'd really love to see what the team think of the 99 series speakers.

The aforementioned magazine said that they were the best part of the cd/amp/99 system, and that they were almost sonically transparent. I'd like to hear a set, but im not a fan of ribbon tweeters at all.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Monstrous:The aforementioned magazine said that they were the best part of the cd/amp/99 system, and that they were almost sonically transparent. I'd like to hear a set, but im not a fan of ribbon tweeters at all.

Thanks, I think that's the review I've read
emotion-1.gif

I'm just curious to see what the WHF team think of the speakers, as the sub was relatively highly regarded in another mag but got a so-so review here.

I know the brand have a money-back home trial period, but I'm effectively buying blind as I live in the Channel Islands. As I'm looking to buy at least 3 speakers, return postage would be a bit of a killer for me!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, just wondering if many people have experience using these A100 D3 integrated amps or cd players? What are they like to live with? comparable to spending say £600 on a Rotel, NAD, Marantz amp etc, or much better? Also, does anyone know the power consumption of the amps? No Tuner input?

T

the record spot

Go ahead and try it - Audio Sanctum offer a 14 day home trial I think - and this is part of XTZ's company philosophy. All you do is pay the postage, which seems like a good way to go. FWIW, there isn't another well specced amp like it for under £1000, the nearest one being the HK990 from Harman Kardon, but that doesn't do Class A...and they're the only two I'd consider right now if I was buying a new amplifier.

A

Anonymous

with a bit of luck i'll be ordering one in the next week or two, a full review will follow :)

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Which does make you ask the question - how can they do all this for that price? Not having a go, just raising a valid question that I'd ask in all cases like this.
because they're made in china, and there's no middle man.

like monitor audio, but of course they deal with middle men, still a great mark-up on them though, but i doubt much of that goes to the chinese contingent.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
with a bit of luck i'll be ordering one in the next week or two, a full review will follow :)

this thing weighs 22kg
smiley-surprised.gif

Looking forward to your review max as you already know im on the lookout for a new amp in that price range
smiley-sealed.gif

T

the record spot

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Which does make you ask the question - how can they do all this for that price? Not having a go, just raising a valid question that I'd ask in all cases like this.

In-house design and partial build, final assembly in China, and buy direct by going to your local XTZ appointed dealer (of which there's on in the UK). Pretty decent philosophy I think.

A

Anonymous

JezBaker said:
maxflinn said:

this thing weighs 22kg
smiley-surprised.gif

Looking forward to your review max as you already know im on the lookout for a new amp in that price range
smiley-sealed.gif
i'm just waiting on a phone call, a little job i've priced that i need the go-ahead for, then i'll be topping up the credit card and ordering :)

and btw, you won't need to decipher whether or not i'm being biased ;)

A

Anonymous

Hmmm... besides the issue of buy-blind/pay return post if you don't like it - and not being able to demo in store alongside other amps - the main reason I'm not considering this on my current amp shortlist is that it's absolutely mahoosive (depth 460mm!) and simply won't fit on my hi-fi shelf! Maybe not the purist's main concern but might be worth taking into account for some?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It is not easy to implement solid state Pure Class A cheaply and well. The parts have to be of very high quality due the high temperatures created, otherwise high failure rate may ensue.

The Musical Fidelity AMS 50 "Class A" Power amp generates 50w, weighs in at 60kg, and you will be relieved of £8900.

It is not my intention to rain on anyones parade but to advise caution, in case this amp is seen as a cheaper route into Class A.

I, like others, am intrigued to hear verdicts of any prospective owners (Max, you will have a captive audience on this one) to see if this, like EB, have created something special.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Controversial but, maybe it offers 'real' value for money and is a 'real' giant killer?

There have been reviews of other kit in similar circumstances, but the 'giants' being killed are never actually named. I'm always wary of such claims myself. You don't get 'owt for n'owt.

A

Anonymous

It does seem very interesting. Really looking forward to seeing what max thinks of it

A

Anonymous

the decision to get one has been made guys, i may have it in a couple of weeks, but not certain of that just yet. and i don't mind being the guinee pig ;)

i can understand that some people may be a little sceptical given the price relative to similarly specced amps from well known brands, but lets not forget it's costing £625, that aint peanuts.

and as far as high quality electrical componants go, well the far east is quite capable of making them and i personally don't see why they need be ultra expensive.

build quality is said to be top notch, as is performance, but there's only one way to find out for sure :)

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I've always felt it looked like a Rotel 10 series....
yea they are quite similar, i'm going for the silver and black one :)

i hope this pic is kosher mr E..

XTZ-Class-A-100-D-II-Silver-Black-0.jpg

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
and as far as high quality electrical componants go, well the far east is quite capable of making them and i personally don't see why they need be ultra expensive.

They don't need to be expensive, but they quite frequently are and will continue to be so as long as people are prepared to pay such prices.

Cynical? Very much so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts