The XTZ A100-D3 - Avoid or not?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

as i say £625 is a considerable sum so i expect the amp to be very good, xtz only make one stereo amp, so there's no financial gain to be had from them handicapping it, unlike other multi amp manufacturers that keep their best tech for their most expensive amps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn said:
the decision to get one has been made guys, i may have it in a couple of weeks, but not certain of that just yet. and i don't mind being the guinee pig ;)

i can understand that some people may be a little sceptical given the price relative to similarly specced amps from well known brands, but lets not forget it's costing £625, that aint peanuts.

and as far as high quality electrical componants go, well the far east is quite capable of making them and i personally don't see why they need be ultra expensive.

build quality is said to be top notch, as is performance, but there's only one way to find out for sure :)

When it arrives, all it will need to get it really purring........ is a decent mains cable! ;)

It would be intresting to see Max batting for the other side :)

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
maxflinn said:
the decision to get one has been made guys, i may have it in a couple of weeks, but not certain of that just yet. and i don't mind being the guinee pig ;)

i can understand that some people may be a little sceptical given the price relative to similarly specced amps from well known brands, but lets not forget it's costing £625, that aint peanuts.

and as far as high quality electrical componants go, well the far east is quite capable of making them and i personally don't see why they need be ultra expensive.

build quality is said to be top notch, as is performance, but there's only one way to find out for sure :)

When it arrives, all it will need to get it really purring........ is a decent mains cable! ;) It would be intresting to see Max batting for the other side :)
i'm an unashamed mercenary, show me the money and i'll go converting :p

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn said:
CnoEvil said:
maxflinn said:

When it arrives, all it will need to get it really purring........ is a decent mains cable! ;) It would be intresting to see Max batting for the other side :)
i'm an unashamed mercenary, show me the money and i'll go converting :p

You better be quick Max......there's still a couple of Copper Line Alphas left on their clearance sale............I'd nearly buy it to you for the "crack" :)

A

Anonymous

lol :) . i've been thinking how i'd go about explaining how/why there was improvements, just in case i was to defect, but i can't conjure up anything, people would just have to trust me 8)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I thought I felt the wind changing......just for a minute......while you checked the website.

...and as for explanations.....just exploit that Irish charm to the full....it's not as if you don't know how ;)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It would be good to do a side by side comparison of similar priced integrated amps around the 600 mark. The D3 looks great for the price. Very impressive and well made. The things that could possibly put me off are, the size of the case, power consumption (what would this be in AB mode?), lack of headphone out (although could use pre out), no tuner input (although could use aux), weight, can't see anything about warranty anywhere?, lack of tone controls etc

T

the record spot

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
the record spot said:
In-house design and partial build, final assembly in China, and buy direct by going to your local XTZ appointed dealer

No different then :)

I don't know how your company operates David, but I like the security that XTZ offer - peace of mind if you will - and it's built into their relationship with the dealer. I know of plenty who don't honour the DSRs I often quote and more who won't permit returns post-trying out at home, or apply a restocking fee. These guys offer a home trial and (from memory) a 30-day money back guarantee. Plus, of course, their products are well reviewed, so this counts for something IMO.

And I couldn't help but notice the thinly disguised comments around just how good this product could be for what it is. I dunno, but XTZ just strike me as a Swedish Cambridge Audio, good quality, well engineered products at a fair price. I understand your dilemma though, you've got a product line or two to sell and you might feel the need to protect that and companies like XTZ, AVI, etc., don't follow the traditional dealer route and rely more on direct to customer means. Good luck to them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We go by the DSR's, as proven in the thread that was rather big last year! :)

I'm still trying to understand how XTZ work, as they only sold direct, so had to offer a home trial. I'm not sure what part Audio Sanctum play, whether they're actually a retail outlet for them, or whether they're just dealing with returns and service. XTZ did get in touch with us a long time ago about a dealership, but various issues were a little cloudy.

Again, I'm not having a go/judging or anything, just taking part! :)

T

the record spot

Hi David - I wasn't suggeting that FH were avoiding the DSRs, but I can think of some who do.

One I asked a couple of months back regarding the Harman HK990 replied to my email to say "sorry, but we can't help you out here".

I had asked would it be possible to buy, try the amp at home and return if it didn't make for a good fit with the rest of my system - not unreasonable as the shop is about 400 miles from me. The precise point of the DSRs is to cover distance purchases like this and by doing so, they're flouting the legislation (they do say you can return the items unused within 14 days, but they must be unused - it's the unused bit that's the problem). So, I'll just hand over £850 - their current price for the amp - and take it on the chin if I don't like it. Baloney. When I pointed out the DSRs gives the retailer as much protection as the buyer...no reply. Their loss.

I should point out that dealers like The Home Cinema Centre have the whole service thing nailed nicely. I ordered the HK990 from there, but had to cancel collection when my work contract didn't come through in time. The amp had already arrived in stock however, but they took it with good grace and understood my situation. As ever, I can't recommend those guys enough.

And hence why the refreshing manner that XTZ treats its potential customers is a winner with me too. The fact they use Audio Sanctum as the one and only outlet is nether here nor there now, the "Buy and Try" philosophy is sound. A three week home loan, money back and you're done with it, or you buy and they'll send you out a brand spanking new one. More power to their elbow and anyone else who walks a similar mile.

A

Anonymous

Hi max.... This has my interest too as I hope to upgrade in the next few weeks. Hopefully you are still going ahead.

The set up seems a little strange....no land line phone, an apparent domestic address
smiley-surprised.gif
so I'm setting about finding how the process works.

I guess the guy in Mansfield is some kind of coordinator working from home?

Need to find out where the product is shipped from and how the warranty will work if they don't have a physical base here in the UK.

maxflinn said:
with a bit of luck i'll be ordering one in the next week or two, a full review will follow :)

A

Anonymous

to quote another poster describing said amp in a different thread.

I heard it, didn´t like it. Too bright for me and not so musical to my ears. XTZ is the same as Advance Acoustic, just different logo, thats what i been told.

hmmm, the same as advance acoustic? (couldn't turn off the italics there)

A

Anonymous

The speakers are better than the amps, the xtz 99.26 is a really good "budget" speaker.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Ive noticed the casing on the XTZ amp to be very similar to some casings used on some Andavnce Acoustics...as for the inside I have no clue. Only heard Advance acoustics amps. the low level entry models not so good but not bad sounding either.but the one that impressed me was one that has 2 twin potenciometers. really detailed and strong sound.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
LoFi Heroes said:
The speakers are better than the amps, the xtz 99.26 is a really good "budget" speaker.

Max will be feeling better by the minute. :(

It´s all about opinions right, i´m sure he be fine
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Re the assertion on the other thread that XTZ and Advanced Acoustics are one of the same with different badges......

Anyone know if this is correct and how might we tie these two together if it is true?

WHF gave the AA amp a fairly rubbish review in 2008.

Personally I don't like these clever little marketing ruses of ID changing, whatever the product and think it should be made illegal unless the facts are disclosed to the consumer
smiley-yell.gif

I don't want to put the cart before the horse so will have to reserve judgement, but many other reviews have waxed lyrical about the XTZ amp
smiley-undecided.gif

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
LoFi Heroes said:
CnoEvil said:
LoFi Heroes said:

smiley-smile.gif

It's like Clint Eastwood once said, "opinions are like a*s**oles, everybody has one". :)

very good :)

anyway i've changed my mind, my marantz is more than good enough for me, a fella has to watch that upgraditis ;)

T

the record spot

For info: Advance Acoustics are a French company while XTZ are Swedish. Doesn't preclude collaboration but they make no mention of it.

A

Anonymous

Mi info is: Both are built in the same fabric in china by a chinese company called Tonewinner. They use the same boxes, but not sure on the insides. This is what they say on lots of swedish forums. Don´t take it as gospel though.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
CnoEvil said:
LoFi Heroes said:
CnoEvil said:
LoFi Heroes said:

smiley-smile.gif

It's like Clint Eastwood once said, "opinions are like a*s**oles, everybody has one". :)

very good :)

anyway i've changed my mind, my marantz is more than good enough for me, a fella has to watch that upgraditis ;)

fair enough mate, seeing as though theres barely any reviews anywhere and noone has heard one, i wouldnt bother either

A

Anonymous

just for the record folks, i'm not buying it because i don't really need it ( there's plenty of things i do need) not because i've got spooked, though if i do decide to get one in the future i'll be doing my homework..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts