The XTZ A100-D3 - Avoid or not?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hi jef...Good to hear your experience of the XTZ...

You mentioned 'difficult' speakers..... I wondered what speakers you were using?

In the UK there is the option to demo at home for much longer...Did you not have this facility or maybe you borrowed the amp from someone else?

jef_dk3 said:
Hi there fellas.

Surfing around I found this thread. I'm in search of an integrated amp these days, and, among others, I have tried the XTZ A100D3 at home for a couple of days (I'm currently demoing a Vincent SV-236MK and a Naim Nait XS).

Don't be fooled guys, there is no way you can find this sound and these features unless you spend considerably bigger money. The build quality is out of this world (for the money) and the sound is amazing. Total control, really tight low end and highs that won't hiss no matter where the volume is. I also found the built-in dac really decent and the overall sound to be that of a really more expensive amp. It managed to drive my difficult speakers with ease.

Now, what I didn't find particularly effective is that Class A thing. The only thing that happens when you switch to class A is the amp running hot within minutes. I tried hard to hear a difference, but didn't manage to, at least not within the two days I had it home.

One thing I did miss was a second set of speaker inputs to enable biwire. But that's minor I suppose if you take a look at the price again.

I will most probably not buy it since I decided to go up in money for my amp, but if my limit was 1000 euros there would not be a second thought about which amp to buy.

Hope that helps

A

Anonymous

I got the amp from the local dealer who offers all his products for a short demo at home.

My speakers are AudioSpectrum Artemis, not so popular in UK I guess. They are mid priced (1500 euros) but they demand you give them a good amp, but boy do they sing when you do!

The XTZ did the trick, remarkably better than I anticipated.

And to be honest, I don't feel the Vincent or the Naim do the trick really better than the XTZ. I mean, sure they sound better, but you really have to search for the difference, and for double or triple the price I'm not sure they're worth it.

Nooby said:
Hi jef...Good to hear your experience of the XTZ...

You mentioned 'difficult' speakers..... I wondered what speakers you were using?

In the UK there is the option to demo at home for much longer...Did you not have this facility or maybe you borrowed the amp from someone else?

A

Anonymous

Thanks jef... I have not come across your speakers. Good to know the XTZ compares favourably with the much higher priced kit and you have illustrated the law of diminishing returns as has been discussed recently.
smiley-cool.gif

dedier

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully no one will mind me bumping this, I do need some info.

I have my own thread where I tried to find an amp/DAC/bass management for my home audio. I've been searching for a unit like this for half a year now. XTZ might be it but for decent subwoofer integration I would need to know what exactly is being sent through the SW out?

Preferably lowest frequencies will not be duplicated (sent to both mains Left and Right and the subwoofer). Also, it would be far better not to have the whole signal being sent to subwoofer.

Imagine this; you could run your system entirely in A-Class, 2x50 being enough for everything above 80Hz in monitors and the active sub would amplify everything below itself. Let's say that 100Hz is the cut off frequencie and then you adjust it with active sub knobs exactly where you want it. You stop asking bookshelf monitors to reproduce the lowest frequencies making their life easier and healthier and you make the self-amplified sub do the heavy lifting. You find a perfect sweet spot for the sub and you're that close to full range sound.

Of course, I did try to contact XTZ via e-mail, but didn’t get any reply. Spec sheet doesn’t show this info.

If the starter of the thread did in fact buy the XTZ perhaps he would be the wiser. Perhaps even Ricard can pop in.

Thanks for all the help you can provide.

rainsoothe

Hi. I think XTZ don't make the A100D3 anymore, and they're working on a new amp. The A100D3 was my go-to suggestion for budget stuff, but as I recommended it to another forum user, he tried purchasing it and XTZ sent him an e-mail with the above information. It's out of stock. Maybe something has changed, but...

dedier

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Hi. I think XTZ don't make the A100D3 anymore, and they're working on a new amp. The A100D3 was my go-to suggestion for budget stuff, but as I recommended it to another forum user, he tried purchasing it and XTZ sent him an e-mail with the above information. It's out of stock. Maybe something has changed, but...

Thank you rainsoothe! I am aware of that, I have a chance to buy a second hand one. Do you perhaps know what is the frequency cut off in the sub out connection?

Do you know something about the new amp, will it be as affordable, is there any talk around the forums on the subject?

TRENDING THREADS