The WHF Film Club

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
11.6 wasn't half as good as it could've been.

I read that a "made for tv" version of the story was released two years earlier, and that was worse than the film that you watched.

I read something about that too, though it would've had to have been pretty bad to be much worse.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Watched 'Lucy' last night. Ummmmmm.......ummmmh. First half was pretty good, then...........Ummmmh....ummmm.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Richard and Mike, have you watched Ex Machina yet?

Also David mentioned watching it, and I'm not sure if Strapped didn't mention it also.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm not sure if Strapped didn't mention it also.

I own Ex Machina. I only watched it once, sometime during the summer.

I'll try to give it another spin, though I'm pretty busy at the moment and deep into The Wire on BD.

Did you get any further with Breaking Bad, or are you preoccupied by your "special box?" *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
Did you get any further with Breaking Bad, or are you preoccupied by your "special box?" *smile*

I'm actually a bit preoccupied with watching films, as my Sky subscription ends today, my Now TV movies voucher ends in early January, and my free trial with Amazon prime ends in mid-January.

The quality of available movies on Amazon Prime and Now TV is quite poor, but we've found a few to watch.

I'll be back to Breaking Bad soon.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
After the film fest that has been 2015, I'll be watching less films in 2016. Partly because I have the first series of True Detective to watch, and also the whole of the X Files on Blu (never seen them before, so will be interesting!).

I reckon if I watched films as frequently from Jan-Sept as I have done for this last quarter, I'd be finishing 2015 on about 750/800 movies! I just need some time to do other stuff, which is a combination of music listening, book reading, and self improvement, as I'm creeping closer to 50... :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Richard and Mike, have you watched Ex Machina yet?

I have just watched Ex Machina.

BBB did you nominate your films for next month?

I think it's Richard's turn, as you chose Ex Machina, and I chose The White Ribbbon.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Likewise BBB! And to everyone else too.

Just revisiting A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - beautifully shot. I can't remember the last time the Americans came up with something this original...maybe Donnie Darko?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry that, as predicted, I haven't been able to be very involved in the club.

I did, however, happen to watch Ex Machina a few weeks ago, so I'll try to join in any discussion that happens.

Happy new year to you all, and may 2016 be a gloriously filmic year for you all.

ps: Is The Wire really available on BD? It wasn't even filmed in wide-screen, so I'd be amazed if there's a high-definition master out there. Delighted, but amazed.
pps: Don't watch Breaking Bad. Seriously. Just don't watch it. Or if you must, don't watch it with the expectation that it's going to be any good. That was my mistake.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Is The Wire really available on BD? It wasn't even filmed in wide-screen, so I'd be amazed if there's a high-definition master out there. Delighted, but amazed.

Here's David Simon on the aspect ratio change:

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

I missed the final season on DVD (things got busy and heard it was disappointing), and I've only watched seasons one and two on BD so far, but I'm content with what's been done.

Upping the resolution doesn't harm the aesthetic, and though the framing feels less claustrophobic, I'm not sure I'd return to the DVDs.

Purists be damned on this one. It's just as engrossing; the revised framing is carefully judged and never distracting.

If in doubt, dive in; the water's fine. *smile*

the scarletpronster said:
Don't watch Breaking Bad. Seriously. Just don't watch it. Or if you must, don't watch it with the expectation that it's going to be any good. That was my mistake.

"Greatest show ever" claims are unfounded, but Breaking Bad is always engaging. "Ozymanidias" is among the very best television episodes I've seen. It's stunningly good, and 47 minutes of profound emotional violence earned over five excellent series.

If Breaking Bad has a legitimate claim to greatness it's because the show's quality never dropped.

If approached expecting another Wire, Breaking Bad will likely disappoint. It's a very different show, despite ostensibly comparable subject matter, and it isn't as socially or politically revelant. Narrative events can stray toward the implausible, but there's an emotional and psychological consistency to character actions that helps to cut through this problem. And it's the characters rather than social or political insight that drive viewer investment. I'm more than fine with this.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
My nominations are

ASHES OF TIME. ((redux). It's a new edit of the film Ashes of Time, so I guess either would be acceptable. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ashes_of_time_redux_2008/?search=Ashes%2...

DOGTOOTH. Described as a black comedy with sex scenes / strong language. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1379182/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Mysterious Skin. Again described as adults only. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370986/?ref_=nv_sr_1

And because the use of colour was mentioned some weeks ago.

HERO. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've both seen and nominated Dogtooth in the past, so as much as I like it, I won't be giving it maximum points.

I'm pretty sure I've either watched, or partially watched Ashes In Time, so again, I won't be giving it maximum points.

Hero, I may or may not have seen, but as I'm not a massive fan of the 'Crouching Tiger' style of film, I'll not be giving this the max either.

My vote is:

Mysterious Skin - 4 pts

Ashes In Time (Redux) - 3 pts

Dogtooth - 2 pts

Hero - 1 pt

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well, I ended 2015 on 579 films. It wasn't a race or anything, just that my Letterboxd account tells me that. I don't think I'll be doing so much viewing this year though as I've previously stated - I want to concentrate on other hobbies/life aspects too. I'll still be doing a film a day though, sometimes two on days off, so will be back to around 400 (previous years have been between 400-450).

It's weird, as I can't imagine anyone watching only a couple of films a week - but then I suppose that's like someone else not understanding how I can go through a year without watching any more than one or two TV series.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've both seen and nominated Dogtooth in the past, so as much as I like it, I won't be giving it maximum points.

I'm pretty sure I've either watched, or partially watched Ashes In Time, so again, I won't be giving it maximum points.

Hero, I may or may not have seen, but as I'm not a massive fan of the 'Crouching Tiger' style of film, I'll not be giving this the max either.

My vote is:

Mysterious Skin - 4 pts

Ashes In Time (Redux) - 3 pts

Dogtooth - 2 pts

Hero - 1 pt

icould nominate replacement for Dogtooth & Ashes if you prefer.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
My vote:

Mysterious Skin - 4 pts

Dogtooth - 3 pts

Ashes In Time - 2 pts

Hero - 1 pt

I have seen Hero before, and have been meaning to revisit it, so not too worried about which wins.

The way you were talking about doing things other than watching films, I thought you were indirectly letting us know that you wouldn't be returning, so I'm glad you now are. Welcome back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts