The WHF Film Club

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
My job involves a lot of reading and some people who do it say they can't read fiction for pleasure as a result. Does your professional interest affect your personal enjoyment of films in any way?

For better or worse, I spent many years being taught how to read a film and worked through countless books and articles explaining how and why films are put together in particular ways.

As a result, I simply don't watch films in the same way any more. I find most narrative cinema pretty dull, to be honest. Suspending disbelief is difficult because you're always conscious of the intent behind filmmaking practices and narrative approaches.

On the other hand, knowledge of stylistic ancestries and legacies can be highly rewarding and has opened up films I wouldn't previously have enjoyed.

I guess the short answer is that studying and teaching my subject has spoilt my enjoyment of some films, but enhanced my enjoyment of others.

You win some, you lose some...

Beyond that, watching films for fun can feel a bit like a busman's holiday.

I'm guessing you're not reading fiction in your job, but there's probably a limit to the amount of print you'd like to pass before your eyes.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Ben and others, I'm not sure if you have Sky, but I've just found some channels called Showcase/Showcase 2, and recently they've shown some very old films that you might like.

Metropolis, and Nosferatu were both shown recently, and a film called The Cabinet of Dr Caligari is on on Friday afternoon.

Just a little heads up, though you're probably aware of them already.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Showcase used to be available on Freesat and broadcasts a lot of German expressionist films. I'm not sure why they're so hot on German expressionism, but it's good that a channel screens so much early cinema.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've bought music from this company in the past, and I noticed that they have some obscure world cinema/arthouse titles that might be of interest to some of you.

http://www.mrbongo.com/pages/film

They also sent me the following for money off etc.

** 15% OFF ALL ORDERS **
Before 24.12.13. Enter the code 'XMAS02' at the checkout to claim

** FREE MR BONGO TOTE BAG **
When you spend over £30

** FREE UK DELIVERY **
Order by 20.12.13 for Christmas Delivery

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the link BBB.

I had a quick browse and I'll likely buy Susana. A few other titles might suit my more revolutionary moods.

If you've bought from them before, what's the DVD quality like?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Thanks for the link BBB.

I had a quick browse and I'll likely buy Susana. A few other titles might suit my more revolutionary moods.

Never heard of it before but available on Lovefilm so have added it to the list, sounds good.

I see they have a Cuba boxset with Soy Cuba on it, have you seen that before?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
My job involves a lot of reading and some people who do it say they can't read fiction for pleasure as a result. Does your professional interest affect your personal enjoyment of films in any way?

For better or worse, I spent many years being taught how to read a film and worked through countless books and articles explaining how and why films are put together in particular ways.

As a result, I simply don't watch films in the same way any more. I find most narrative cinema pretty dull, to be honest. Suspending disbelief is difficult because you're always conscious of the intent behind filmmaking practices and narrative approaches.

On the other hand, knowledge of stylistic ancestries and legacies can be highly rewarding and has opened up films I wouldn't previously have enjoyed.

I guess the short answer is that studying and teaching my subject has spoilt my enjoyment of some films, but enhanced my enjoyment of others.

You win some, you lose some...

Beyond that, watching films for fun can feel a bit like a busman's holiday.

Interesting. I have some similar feelings myself, albeit I imagine to a lesser extent. I think sometimes I kind of miss the youthful enjoyment of simple cinema. What are the examples of recent-ish narrative cinema you have been impressed by?

Also, as someone who has invested a fair amount of time and money on AV equipment, do what extent do you find PQ and SQ influence your enjoyment of a film?

I'm guessing you're not reading fiction in your job, but there's probably a limit to the amount of print you'd like to pass before your eyes.

No, not really, certainly not of the artistic rather than merely dishonest kind. I don't have much time to read at the moment but reading stuff for a living doesn't put me off, but I've heard a surprising number say it does.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
Thanks for the link BBB.

If you've bought from them before, what's the DVD quality like?

I've only ever bought records from them I'm afraid, but they're a good little company/shop, and if you're at all worried about the quality, give them a bell.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Interesting. I have some similar feelings myself, albeit I imagine to a lesser extent. I think sometimes I kind of miss the youthful enjoyment of simple cinema. What are the examples of recent-ish narrative cinema you have been impressed by?

Good question. To be honest, "narrative cinema" is dodgy phrasing on my part, since the overwhelming majority of films have a narrative of some description. (Unless we're talking about experimental filmmakers such as Stan Brakhage.)

BenLaw said:
Also, as someone who has invested a fair amount of time and money on AV equipment, do what extent do you find PQ and SQ influence your enjoyment of a film?

I couldn't begin to answer this question properly without an essay length response. We'd be getting back into definitions of immersion.

I'd say that I'm invested in films first and foremost. I wouldn't watch a film I didn't like because it made my AV system shine. At the same time, I'd rather watch films I love with the best possible AV presentation.

If you're asking whether attention to AV presentation is a distraction from watching a film, I'm sure he answer is yes to some degree; but then other factors are probably just as intrusive.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hopefully everyone will have watched it by the end of the weekend.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've watched "Mulholland Drive" and liked! :grin:

It's the next movie to watch isn't it...? :?

i've read some critics analisys after and got really happy with miself, and my untherstanding of the film! Didn't quite got all the details but got the big pic!

:cheers:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I've watched "Mulholland Drive" and liked! :grin:

It's the next movie to watch isn't it...? :?

i've read some critics analisys after and got really happy with miself, and my untherstanding of the film! Didn't quite got all the details but got the big pic!

:cheers:

Glad you enjoyed the film. The details are really interesting, which is why Mulholland Drive lends itself to repeat viewing.

I think we should wait until we've discussed Tzameti before saying more about Mulholland Drive, though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Well I've seen it before on a couple of occasions, so if everyone has seen and is ready to discuss it, feel free.

Expat Mike and JD need to confirm don't they? I'm losing track. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS