The WHF Film Club

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
On Film4 over the next week, watch out for Troll Hunter, The Host and The Hidden Fortress too Ben.

Also Red Hill looks interesting.

I've seen Troll Hunter. Definitely worth a watch but overall I thought it better in concept than execution. The rest look interesting, thanks for the heads up. I will try to set them to record tomorrow. Please post any time there's interesting film4 movies coming up, I don't get as much time to trawl the listings these days.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
On Film4 over the next week, watch out for Troll Hunter, The Host and The Hidden Fortress too Ben.

Also Red Hill looks interesting.

I've seen Troll Hunter. Definitely worth a watch but overall I thought it better in concept than execution. The rest look interesting, thanks for the heads up. I will try to set them to record tomorrow. Please post any time there's interesting film4 movies coming up, I don't get as much time to trawl the listings these days.

Will do Ben.

The Host is a Korean language b movie, not to be taken too seriously. It's not great, but better than Troll Hunter, and definitely worth watching.

The Hidden Fortress was the inspiration for the original Star Wars movie, and definitely worth watching.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The Hidden Fortress was the inspiration for the original Star Wars movie

Among many other influences, Joseph Campbell's monomyth most notably.

I've been away, so a belated Merry Christmas to other members (and anyone else reading this post)!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Sightseers is on at 9pm on film4 on Boxing Day, quirky, dark British humour, well worth a watch.

I didn't like it at all Ben.

I had a couple of chuckles, but on the whole, it barely raised a smile on my face.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Just Mr Duncan to go then. :poke:

Has anyone heard from him recently?

I've seen him contributing to other topics on the forum.

Too busy posting to watch films then. :)

Sorry, watched it today. There was prosecco involved though.

So everyone's watched it?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
Sightseers is on at 9pm on film4 on Boxing Day, quirky, dark British humour, well worth a watch.

I didn't like it at all Ben.

I had a couple of chuckles, but on the whole, it barely raised a smile on my face.

Oh dear! Can't win 'em all!

Shame, I was convinced I'd like it, but it became obvious quite quickly, that I wouldn't. I think I was being generous with the two chuckles, it was more like two semi-smiles.

It has been deleted.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
So who wants to be the first to discuss the film?

I think it was JD's choice wasn't it, so it should be him. Saying that, we could be waiting for a while, so if you fancy kicking off Mike, feel free.

I'm going out soon, but I'll join in later.

John Duncan

Will be a little while before I can enter full discussion as am at the inlaws where the use of electronic devices is frowned upon in company (I am having a little private sit down :-|) but suffice to say I am feeling quite smug because I *loved* it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Will be a little while before I can enter full discussion as am at the inlaws where the use of electronic devices is frowned upon in company (I am having a little private sit down :-|) but suffice to say I am feeling quite smug because I *loved* it.

Tzameti 13 or the private sit down...? :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've seen 13 Tzameti a couple of times, though I didn't get round to watching it again this time.

Considering the obviously low budget, I think it's a great film. The tension during the game scenes is palpable, and although I didn't really like the ending, it only took the edge off my enjoyment of the film, rather than ruining it for me.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I watched Spanking The Monkey today, and within seconds of turning it on, I knew I'd seen it before.

Really good film, with a taboo subject matter, but well worth watching.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen that film but I assume the subject matter is obvious. If you like that sort of taboo film then Choke is well worth a watch. Features the excellent Sam Rockwell, being excellent.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
I haven't seen that film but I assume the subject matter is obvious. If you like that sort of taboo film then Choke is well worth a watch. Features the excellent Sam Rockwell, being excellent.

I don't think the subject matter is the same, Spanking The Monkey is mainly about the relationship between a mother and her son, though there is the occasional, but thwarted attempt at STM.

Choke does look quite entertaining though, so will keep an eye out for it.

If you like a film with taboos, then Visitor Q has every taboo, and much much more. :O

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Ha, Visitor Q really does sound out there, added to the lovefilm list!

Be very careful with who you watch it with, it's definitely the most shocking film I've ever seen.

I spent most of the film with my mouth wide open. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just watched Red Hill, and I can honestly say, I wish I hadn't. It's so bad, it's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts