The WHF Film Club

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oscar history is littered with injustices and mediocre award winners.

The ceremony represents the industry's efforts to demonstrate that it's doing something important, rather than paying people to pretend to do stuff.*

This is why issue films do well come awards season. They really don't need to be great as films.

* It wasn't so long ago that we referred to "actors" as "players."

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I should say that over the last year or so I've been trying to balance my DVD books by getting rid of roughly as many discs as I purchase.

I try to approach BD buying methodically. I'll always buy classic films I love on BD, even if the transfer is so-so. I'm happy just to watch the film at the correct speed.

I rarely buy new films, unless they relate to something I'm researching, and I'll usually wait for a hefty price drop. I can't recall the last new film I was itching to see, or that I thought was genuinely great. Perhaps I'm already too set in my ways...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Sorry to interupt, but I've just finished watching a Claude Chabrol film, La Femme Infidele.

I enjoyed it, and being quite typically French, the ending has left me thinking.

John Duncan

I'm currently struggling through Les Trois Frères which was recommended to me by somebody at work. It appears at first glance to be The Hangover with added misogyny, casual racism and general stupidity, but I'll let you know how it pans out...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
A FNW film I haven't seen.

I'll admit to being surprised by that.

And the word I was looking for earlier to describe the ending, was ambiguous.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I preface by saying I thought this was a good film, well acted and enjoyable (although not in the fun lovin' sense). I did, however, find it problematic. It seems to me two things have to be present truly to be gripped by the centre of the film: (i) belief in what was going on, or at least the willing suspension of disbelief, and (ii) investment in (at least one of) the characters.

Sorry for the delay, I have been sidetracked by a non-working PC. I think BenLaw sums it up fairly.

I found large parts of it to be unbelievable, and I struggled to be too bothered whatever the outcome for the young man. And then near the end, just as I started feeling pleased that he had won, he was killed off by the brother. It seemed so senseless to me.

Still I presume it was some moral comment that sinners cannot be seen to benefit from their sins - after all he had stolen the train ticket, then murdered several other contestants.

Overall I found this to be the least enjoyable of the four nominated films so far.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
:)

Do you want to choose your 3 films to nominate soon Mike?

OK

I have chosen 3 films based on the following criteria:

1 - I have not yet watched the films, but two have been on my to watch list for a while

2- All the films were controversial when first released

1 - Pan's Labyrinth

2 - V for Vendetta

3 - Empire of the Senses by the director Nagasaki Oshima. Potentially interesting on two fronts, it sounds like it explores sex and the descent into madness, but in a different manner to The Piano Teacher, and BBB has stressed that there is a lot of good Japanese films that rarely get seen by people in the UK.

I shall be interested in how the voting goes. :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm conflicted. Pan's Labyrinth is brilliant but I might prefer to choose something I've not seen before. V for Vendetta sounds like just my sort of thing but I'm wary of the fact Natalie Portman is in it. The description of Senses doesn't entirely grab me.

I'm going to go V (3pts), Senses (2pts), Pan's (1pt).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
:)

Do you want to choose your 3 films to nominate soon Mike?

OK

I have chosen 3 films based on the following criteria:

1 - I have not yet watched the films, but two have been on my to watch list for a while

2- All the films were controversial when first released

1 - Pan's Labyrinth

2 - V for Vendetta

3 - Realm of the Senses

I own 2 of them, though I have only seen Realm Of The Senses the once, and I never get sick of seeing Pan's Labyrinth.

I know nothing at all about V For Vendetta.

I'll delay my vote until the others have voted.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
The description of Senses doesn't entirely grab me.

It's based on a true story I believe, but it does contain some graphic sex. Very graphic.

John Duncan

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
The description of Senses doesn't entirely grab me.

It's based on a true story I believe, but it does contain some graphic sex. Very graphic.

In which case:

1. In The Realm of the Senses
2. Whatever...

More seriously, ITROTS would be first choice because I haven't seen it, Pan's Labyrinth would be second because, although I've seen it, I'd watch it again like a shot, 3. VfV also seen but not so interested in revisiting.

Sorry for my sporadicity (want to talk more about Tzameti), have been off radar being diagnosed with a bilateral inguinal hernia. I cannot recommend googling for images of this condition, particularly at work.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Duncan said:
I cannot recommend googling for images of this condition

I really wish I'd listened to that advice. :O

Best wishes John.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I won't let curiosity get the better of me. Hope you're fighting fit as soon as possible, JD. That doesn't sound like fun.

We'll have completed one full round soon, at which point I think I'll have to withdraw from Film Club.

Apologies. I'm struggling to find the time to watch and comment on the films. And since my workload shows no sign of abating, I think a new member should step in. (I'm sure others will be interested.)

With that in mind, I probably shouldn't vote on the latest recommendations. I've seen all three films, so I guess I could comment on the final choice. However, I think it makes most sense to bring someone new on board at the end of a full cycle.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I understand if you feel you just don't have the time Strapped, but it'll be a shame to lose your undoubted knowledge and intelligent input.

There may be someone who has been looking in and wants to join, but if not, I'd be perfectly happy continuing with just us 5 and keep a place open for you should your work load lessen.

I know JD mentioned Clare Newsome before, so I guess she's a possible candidate.

Just a specific point on Mike's 3 films, I can't see why you can't vote, even if you have seen all 3.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My votes as far as the 3 films go are:

Pan's 3

Realm 2

V 1

I too have a problem with Natalie Portman, though I liked her acting when she was younger. She's just grown up to be an annoying adult somehow.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I make that ROTS 7, PL 6 and VFV 5, with Outlaw and Strapped still to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS