The WHF Film Club

Page 117 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
What happened to the (unwritten) rule of the presenter of the choices giving the first impressions? I did my part last month...

only you, me & BBB have confirmed we've watched the film.

I think we should continue as a place to discuss and recommend films we've watched, as I suggested above. I think it's the only way it can continue, aand possibly thrive.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I think we should continue as a place to discuss and recommend films we've watched

That's something I'd be interested in, having only just found this thread thanks to a mention elsewhere - or even just discussing films and cinema in general. Having a restricted set of members who were committed to watching a particular film in a given time frame looks difficult, especially with recent releases where several members might be fighting over disc hire from the same supplier! I guess (having not read all the way through) that that's what you've already discovered.

I'm pleased to have discovered somewhere new to discuss films. Tonight's viewing will be Nuri Bilge Ceylan's latest, Winter's Sleep. I'm looking forward to this, having been pretty stunned by each of his previous four films.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No spoilers.

Watched the Criterion Bluray release of David Fincher's The Game tonight, not for the first time, as I've watched it many times over the past few years. Oddly though, tonight seemed different, but I don't know why. It seemed to make more sense, and the similarities to Fincher's other films Se7en and Fight Club were very apparent. I'd never realised how similarly menacing the score for The Game is to Se7en's - I never really knew who did the score for The Game, but watching it tonight I could tell that it was done by Howard Shore (who did Se7en). Various scenes in The Game have a very similar feel and ambience to some scenes in Fight Club too. All this just makes me love the film more, despite its fantastical ending, and a bit of artistic license along the way. Great nearfield 5.1 mix on the Criterion release which draws you further into the movie, almost to the point of being there, accurately conveying the various surroundings of each scene.

The Criterion release is highly recommended for fans of David Fincher.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
I'm pleased to have discovered somewhere new to discuss films. Tonight's viewing will be Nuri Bilge Ceylan's latest, Winter's Sleep. I'm looking forward to this, having been pretty stunned by each of his previous four films.

I'm not familar with any of his films, so it's certainly a name I'll be looking out for in the future.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I think we should continue as a place to discuss and recommend films we've watched

That's something I'd be interested in, having only just found this thread thanks to a mention elsewhere - or even just discussing films and cinema in general. Having a restricted set of members who were committed to watching a particular film in a given time frame looks difficult, especially with recent releases where several members might be fighting over disc hire from the same supplier! I guess (having not read all the way through) that that's what you've already discovered.

I'm not sure that was the probelm, as a lot, if not all of the recommended films were not new releases. I think like with most things in life, people just lost interest. We also lost a couple of important members, so the group was smaller than at the beginning, so less people = less conversation.

I don't want this to become a place where we just talk about the latest blockusters, if it does, I'll be gone. The criteria still remains the same, Indie and Foreign Language films are the ones we're interested in.

I watched a Scottish film called 'Shell' last night, but after waking up stupidly early on Saturday morning, I fell asleep before the end. Will complete my viewing later.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I don't want this to become a place where we just talk about the latest blockusters, if it does, I'll be gone. The criteria still remains the same, Indie and Foreign Language films are the ones we're intersted in.

Suits me. For me, it's 'good films', which is often the same thing, although occasionally even a blockbuster is worth talking about (Inception and Gravity being two recent examples).

Saw Shell last year. It was interesting, and well made overall with some decent performances. I can't remember enough details to say much more about it. Hopefully my memory will be refreshed when you come back with your comments after fnishing it.

I think an open membership works better with any online 'club', as people's interest and availability (freedom from 'real-world problems') inevitably waxes and wanes.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm not familar with any of his films, so it's certainly a name I'll be looking out for in the future.

Do. I've been really impressed. He manages to tell stories which creep up on you and go in unexpected directions, knowing exactly what detail to reveal at which point. Another director who does this - even better, in my opinion - is Iranian Asghar Farhadi (About Elly, A Separation, The Past). I'd find my jaw frequently dropping with the brilliance of the story-telling and the emotional power wrought from everday situations. Ceylan is a similar type of story-teller, and the digital photography in Climates particularly was also stunning.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just finished watching 'Shell'. I liked it, though it's not exactly a fun-filled rollercoater ride for the whole of the family kind of movie.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a purchase, but when it returns to Film 4, it's definitely worth watching.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
I've been really impressed. He manages to tell stories which creep up on you and go in unexpected directions, knowing exactly what detail to reveal at which point. Another director who does this - even better, in my opinion - is Iranian Asghar Farhadi (About Elly, A Separation, The Past). I'd find my jaw frequently dropping with the brilliance of the story-telling and the emotional power wrought from everday situations. Ceylan is a similar type of story-teller, and the digital photography in Climates particularly was also stunning.

When I read your post earlier, 'A Separation' sounded familiar, but I couldn't think why. Just checked in my DVD draw, and I have it, bought a few months ago in a charity shop for a pound. *smile*

I tend to buy nearly all the foreign language films I see at car boots and charity shops, which is why it didn't register straight away.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
I'm regularly made envious by your cheap-as-chips car boot/charity shop finds, and now is another occasion! Have you watched it yet? If not, you're in for a rare treat.

Well, just to make you a little more envious, a year or so ago, I won a boxful of DVDs for £35 at a local auction. These weren't the usual rubbish you regularly see, they were classic foreign language and cult classics, including many Criterion rarities. I think I listed them on this thread somewhere, but I'm struggling to find exactly where.

Anyway, enough of my boasting. No, I haven't got around to watching 'A Separation' yet, but from what you have said, and from the reviews I have read, it does look a great film.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'll keep an eye out for that, David.

One recommendation from me, Kurosawa's 'The Hidden Fortress' is on Film 4 on Saturday at 12.50am, well worth watching, especially to see how much it influenced the original Star Wars movie.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick note on Cronos. As others may know it's part of a loose trilogy of fairy? Stories by Guillermo del Toro.

Ive yet to see THE DEVILS BACKBONE, which is the ghost story.

We all like Pans Labyrinth which is the fairy/fantasy story.

Cronos is his vampire film, but most definitely not in a conventional Dracula type way. GdT has done it in his own unique style and I thought it's one of the best films I've seen for a while. I need to watch Devils Backbone.

i always make sure I watch GdT s interviews, his enthusiasm, knowledge and imagination are fantastic to witness.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'd seen Cronos before and liked it, but I was never sure how good it was. Having watched it again, I still wouldn't describe it as a great film, but it's most definitely watchable, it just doesn't blow me away.

I've seen The Devil's Backbone, and from memory, I think I preferred it to 'Cronos', you certainly won't be disappointed.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Sorry I haven't managed to contribute recently. Have watched a few fillums but it's been a bit frantic here. Might calm down at the end of this week, if so I'll be back.

It would be good to keep this thread going if possible.

I need to find time to watch 'A Separation', not sure when though.

Did anyone watch 'The Hidden Fortress' the other night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts