The WHF Film Club

Page 118 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I haven't seen it Mike, it's possible that thescarletpronster may have.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

For those of you with Sky, I've just noticed that Sky Arts are now showing some good films occasionally. They're currently showing 'Hidden', which is excellent, and well worth watching, and as I'm writing, we're about to see the big shock, surprise scene.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
For those of you with Sky, I've just noticed that Sky Arts are now showing some good films occasionally. They're currently showing 'Hidden', which is excellent, and well worth watching, and as I'm writing, we're about to see the big shock, surprise scene.

BBB, this movie is called simply 'Hidden' ? (I can't think of it )

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Alantiggger said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

BBB, this movie is called simply 'Hidden' ? (I can't think of it )

It's this one, Mr Tigger.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387898/?ref_=nv_sr_1

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

After 'Hidden (Cache) was shown the other day, I noticed Sky Arts had another film by Michael Haneke on tonight, and I think it's repeated again soon. It's called 'Funny Games', and is definitely not for the feint-hearted, or for those that require a happy ending, but it's compulsive viewing, and definitely worth recording/watching. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Haneke has made many good and great films, so if you like 'Hidden' and 'Funny Games', you should definitely try 'The Piano Teacher' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254686/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_6

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
It's a great film, Mike, but if you do watch it, make sure you watch it until the end of the credits.

Is this post-credit reveal truly enlightening, or is Haneke still f*cking with us? I think the puzzle is a purposeful distraction in any case. Hidden is really a film about middle class guilt and postcolonial inequality (though without giving too much away, I guess you could argue that the "reveal" offers a trace of optimism and, in this sense, solving the puzzle remains true to the film's political aims).

It's been suggested that Funny Games US was one big joke at the audience's expense, since it's essentially a shot-for-shot remake (even though Haneke claims he was speading the message).

Mike, I'd likewise recommend The Piano Teacher, which is notably unpolitical for a Haneke film. It's worth watching for Huppert's performance alone.

On the subject of political cinema, a couple of upcoming BD releases might be if interest:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Borom-Sarret-Limited-Format/dp/B0133E8EGQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1440721099&sr=1-1&keywords=borom+sarret

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medium-Masters-Cinema-Format-Blu-ray-x/dp/B00YA458YU/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1440721135&sr=1-1&keywords=medium+cool

The former is a landmark in African film and counter-cinema and engages with similar issues to Hidden (French colonialism and inequality). The latter is a perhaps overlooked 1970s Hollywood gem.

If you like Hidden and Funny Games, you might also be interested in Tout Va Bien, one of Godard's most explicitly political films. Like several Haneke films, Tout Va Bien asks the spectator to reflect on their position. Don't let the sausage factory setting put you off!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly I'm no BigBern, but I watched this film a few months ago. I have no idea what you like, but I found it interesting and worth a watch. It's one of those films which attempts to hold an uncritical camera eye to its characters' actions, which can make for an uncomfortable watch at times, but not excessively so, and it's ultimately sympathetic. If you've got easy access to it, I'd certainly say it's worth giving it a couple of hours of your time, but if you'd have to spend lots of money to get a copy, maybe not unless it really is your type of thing.

I've just managed to get hold of Fireworks Wednesay, the first feature by Asghar Farhadi (of A Separation, etc - see above) so will watch that at the weekend. Looking forward to it. Have also recently caught up with Arietty - unfortunately in its dubbed version - the Studio Ghibli take on The Borrowers. It was utterly, utterly charming. I'm still feeling fuzzy from the charm. The only thing which marred it was the English-language title song, which featured someone who didn't seem to be able to sing or write lyrics well. Other than that, wonderful.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ooh, I hadn't noticed this new page of posts. Interesting discussion of Haneke. I enjoyed Caché a lot. I read it the same as Strapped: 'a film about middle class guilt and postcolonial inequality.' Don't remember a 'reveal' at the end of the credits, although I watched all the way through, expecting something awful to happen, because the tension is unbearable (it's the school pick-up scene, isn't it?). Funny Games was a tougher watch, and I've never had the stomach to face The Piano Teacher, although I will try it one day. I can also recommend Code Inconnu, which is one of those films that stares the characters in the face while they go through trying experiences. Tough, but an extraordinary performance by Juliette Binoche - possibly more so than her performance in Caché, which is pretty good itself. The White Ribbon is also worth watching, and his best film, to my mind, is Amour, which is extraordinarily moving, and again with two astonishing central performances.

Interesting to see that the BFI are releasing those two Sembené films - I've been trying to track down some of his films for a while. I recently read Mark Cousins's The Story of Film, having watched the TV series based on it a couple of years ago. I'm not particularly keen on his writing or his analysis, but the good thing about it is that he's trying to show how film as an art form has developed, using an equal focus world-wide, not giving bias to American or European cinema. So I've learned a lot about film-makers I know little or nothing of. I'd recommend it (book or TV series) as a good education on world-wide cinema.

BigBern, I've been meaning to ask you, with your Japanese connections, I guess you're quite au fait on Japanese cinema. I'd like to tap into that some time, as I've been entranced by a lot of Japanese cinema I've seen over the past couple of years, from 'masters' such as Ozu, Naruse and Mizoguchi to various contemporary films. Previously I was only really aware of Kurosawa and the anime of Miyazaki and other Studio Ghibli directors, plus oddities I saw when I was in my teens such as Woman of the Dunes and Imamura's 9-hour The Human Condition. Ozu particularly has been a revelation to me; do you know his films, and those of Naruse and Mizoguchi? Ikiru is one of Kurosawa's earlier ones that I haven't seen, unless it's the one about the alcoholic doctor and the gangsters. I think that was called Drunken Angel, perhaps that's the English equivalent of Ikiru.

Got hold of two films I love - Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and the Coens' Miller's Crossing - on blu-ray, so will be watching those over the weekend, along with Fireworks Wednesday and The Homesman (Tommy Lee Jones). That is if I can find time in amongst the cycling, rugby etc.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just a quick response as I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment. I think you know more about Japanese cinema than I do, so I wouldn't/couldn't steer you in the direction of any particular director, but I could recommend a few films I like.

I did have the Ozu - Noriko Trilogy box set, and I can't say I disliked any of the films, I just wasn't wowed. Don't get me wrong, they are great films, I just couldn't see myself watching them again, so I sold the set.

I've got several old Japanese films on my PVR, and I'm pretty sure 'Floating Clouds' is amongst them, so hopefully I'll find time to watch a Naruse film soon.

Ikiru is the story of a man who has done the same boring office job all his life, and discovers that he has cancer and only has so long to live. I still haven't returned to it, but I will, as I was really enjoying it.

I think you have an excellent knowledge of cinema, and I only wish you'd found us earlier, then the flm club might still be going. I also think you and Strapped would have lots to talk about, and you could have some seriously good in-depth discussions.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just to update. I've now finished watching 'Ikiru', excellent, and the Mikio Naruse films I have on my PVR are 'When A Woman Ascends The Stairs', 'Floating Clouds', and 'Late Chrysanthemums'.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Mike, I'd likewise recommend The Piano Teacher, which is notably unpolitical for a Haneke film. It's worth watching for Huppert's performance alone.

I watched this film a while back - I think it was because you had recommended it to the club.

strapped for cash said:
On the subject of political cinema, might be if interest:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Borom-Sarret-Limited-Format/dp/B0133E8EGQ/...

is a landmark in African film and counter-cinema and engages with similar issues to Hidden (French colonialism and inequality).

I will keep this in mind. It may well interest some of my French friends.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I think you have an excellent knowledge of cinema, and I only wish you'd found us earlier, then the flm club might still be going.

You're too kind. I'm not sure about that, I just love cinema and have tried to use the time while I've been ill and stuck at home to watch as many films as I can.

I'm not sure I could have been much use to the original film club concept, which meant everyone had to have watched the same film in order to take part. But would you be interested in trying a different type of film club? It's one I was part of on another forum a few years ago. Basically we discuss a different topic each month. Someone suggests a topic they want to discuss and volunteers to introduce it on such-and-such a date. Then we just all chip in as we want. That doesn't entail anyone necessarily having seen a particular film (and definitely not during the current month), and seemed to work quite well with the other club. It's essentially what we're doing at the moment, plus every month we focus on a particular topic.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Will look out for Ikiru, as it's been a few years since I've watched any Kurosawa film. According to my DVD hire history, a few months ago I watched When A Woman Ascends the Stairs and Late Crysanthemums (and also Sound of the Mountain and Flowing), but I'm struggling to remember much about the last three. Not because they weren't excellent films, but just because my memory's not what it could be, and they are somewhat similar in tone, low-key domestic/socio-economic dramas. When A Woman... I remember best. It was excellent, but just slightly melodramatic for my tastes in places. I started watching Floating Clouds, but by that stage I'd watched too many black-and-white Japanese dramas over the few weeks, so I stopped after half an hour. Will dig it out again at some point. My favourite was the one set in a poor geisha-house about the struggles of the women who lived/worked there. I think that was Flowing, although I can't remember for sure.

Watched Baron Munchausen yesterday afternoon. That's a fine film, and no mistake. I loved it on release, even though it got quite a panning, mostly because of the budget problems. There's a fascinating documentary about the problems of making the film on the disc. Gilliam is always an excellent raconteur when it comes to the hell of making his films. Then I watched The Homesman in the evening, which was very well made, well acted and quite shocking in places. It's very much a companion piece to Tommy Lee Jones's previous film, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - a slow, downbeat and moody western, although this time a period piece rather than contemporary. Well recommended.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
I'm not sure I could have been much use to the original film club concept, which meant everyone had to have watched the same film in order to take part. But would you be interested in trying a different type of film club? It's one I was part of on another forum a few years ago. Basically we discuss a different topic each month. Someone suggests a topic they want to discuss and volunteers to introduce it on such-and-such a date. Then we just all chip in as we want. That doesn't entail anyone necessarily having seen a particular film (and definitely not during the current month), and seemed to work quite well with the other club. It's essentially what we're doing at the moment, plus every month we focus on a particular topic.

I'll be honest, the discussion part is the part I struggle with, so I'm not sure that'd be for me. I like watching all sorts of films, but I struggle to retain details, so I feel I can't really add to the discussion process.

My original idea for the film club, was to use it as a way of recommending films I'd seen, and to have films recommended to me, and the way it is at the moment, it's kind of doing that; though I would like to see more activity on the thread, and a little more discussion on some of the films too.

Strapped is a busy man, and I'm not sure how often he visits the forum these days, but he's incredibly knowledgeable about cinema, and also very intelligent, and I do think you two could have some seriously good discussions. Let's hope he returns here soon.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

@ thescarletpronster

As we've been on the subject of Japanese cinema, I thought I might recommend some of my favourite Japanese films, both vintage and more recent. I'm sure you'll be familiar with some, but hopefully not all. I'll warn you, both Gozu and Visitor Q push the boundaries of taste, and are definitely not for everyone.

Onibaba http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058430/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Yojimbo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055630/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Survive Style 5+ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430651/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Gozu http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361668/

Visitor Q http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290329/?ref_=nv_sr_1

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is a film for this thread. I watched The Infidel last week, after a promising start it fizzled out to a safe, predictable comedy.

I was hoping for something a bit edgier like Four Lions, but I suppose David Baddiel is never going to be Chris Morris.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I watched The Infidel last week, after a promising start it fizzled out to a safe, predictable comedy.

Yeh, I found the same. There were a couple of funny lines (and I liked the Richard Ziff character), but overall it plumped for Brit-comedy-drama-by-numbers. I hoped for something more edgy too.

Thanks for the list, BigBern. The only one I know of those is Yojimbo. I must admit feeling a bit tentative about watching any of Takashi Miike's films, after all he's supposed to be the goriest director around, isn't he? One film I do have and still haven't summoned up the stomach to watch, although I'd really like to see it, is Audition.

Have just remembered Kitano Takeshi, some of whose films I really enjoyed. An old flatmate was a big fan, so I saw most of his films up to Brother when we lived together. Must dig a few out and watch them again.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
a way of recommending films I'd seen, and to have films recommended to me, and the way it is at the moment, it's kind of doing that; though I would like to see more activity on the thread, and a little more discussion on some of the films too.

That's pretty much what I'm interested in. But having room for discussion more than simply 'this is good' / 'this is rubbish' is what I like.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I struggle to retain details, so I feel I can't really add to the discussion process.

I don't retain details well either - see upthread about the Naruse films I've seen - but I just give my impressions, what something reminded me of, what I felt, what impressed me, etc. And I like reading other people's opinions and the details they remember, as it deepens my appreciation.

Perhaps if we few just keep buggering along, more will come along/come back. I only found this thread a few weeks ago because you mentioned it in the turntable section. Maybe more people will.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
If that is the ethos of the group, then perhaps I could add some value. However I will explain my starting position, to allow any of the existing 5 members to object if needed.

I too would be looking at the club as an educational exercise - I haven't watched many films all the way through in recent months (the last time I went to the cinema, was to watch Django Unchained - but that is not the type of film the club is interested in). There are several reasons including the fact that living near Toulouse, my mind is elsewhere on the long Summer evenings, plus most of the films available on free TV (or at the cinema) are in French, and to date watching a whole film in French, taxes my mind too much during those Summer evenings.

However I know that I have to improve my grasp of spoken French, so I would be interested to make the effort during the coming months to watch more films in their entirety (although if the film is in english, that would be a bonus). Also some french films can have complex plots, so the opportunity to discuss them with the group, could help my understanding.

My concerns are that I do not have a list of films to recommend on day 1, and that some of the french films that I recommend, may turn out not to be available through online distributors, and that this may be an issue for other club members.

The above was my rationale for joining the club. I can say that the exercise has been educational, in that i have enjoyed learning about different film types, film movements, filmcraft, directors etc, and discussing the various monthly films. I have also built up a collection of dvds to watch, plus many recommendations regarding films, from the other club members. I think that one of the interesting consequences of being a member, is that I have been exposed to many new films (plus ideas and recommendations), that would never have entered my field of vision otherwise . Key to this experience was the presence of Strapped, who was able to introduce the academic perspective into the discussions, so I hope that he returns. It does sound as if the Pronster, maybe blessed with similar academic knowledge as well.

It is clear that the original operation of the club, ie nomination, vote, detailed discussion, has proved unworkable in the long term, so we will have to think of a different operation for the future. Taking on board the comments by BBB and the Pronster about recommendations and discussion, maybe one member each month should propose the main topic for the next month, and propose their list of 5 films related to that topic (plus a sentence or two explaining why they proposed each film), and then leave it to the other members to watch (and discuss) those films if they wish. There would be no compulsion that everyone watches the same film. We can still continue to include alerts regarding future films on TV, plus discussion and recommendation of other films, just as at present.

I agree with the Pronster, that we need discussion to be more meaty than just saying "I watched this film and liked it", but it is unrealistic to expect a thesis about every discussion topic.

Anyway these are just a few ideas, so it will be interesting to hear how everyone else feels about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts