The WHF Film Club

Page 116 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I haven't watched Cloud Atlas, so I can't comment on that, but I can't say any of the violence in Tyrannosaur upset, or revulsed me. If you are going to make a gritty, real life drama, then it does have to have to be realistic, and unfortunately, the situations shown in the film are the reality of many people.

I cannot say for certain that we've become inured (I like that word) to violence in film, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if we all have, considering the extreme violent images we're exposed to on TV and in films. Saying that, I would hate to see more censorship of films.

John Duncan

No I'm not saying I found the violence in Tyrannosaur upsetting either, but compare the reaction to the horse's head in Godfather in, what, 1974, with that of the dog in this - former shocking, latter meh (generalising).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Duncan said:
No I'm not saying I found the violence in Tyrannosaur upsetting either, but compare the reaction to the horse's head in Godfather in, what, 1974, with that of the dog in this - former shocking, latter meh (generalising).

Times have just changed, I guess. I'm trying to think of the first really violent scene I ever saw, and I really can't remember when, or what it was. I do remember the first time I saw a naked lady in a film *smile*, and I do remember the first horror film I saw too.

Some people really don't like horror films, but I find the violence in them almost comical really, and the harder they try to shock, the less shocked I am. To this day, I still can't watch the throat cutting scene in 'An American Werewolf In London', but the rest of it doesn't even make me blink. 'Audition' and 'Antichrist' have some stomach turning scenes, and I doubt anyone could watch them without feeling disturbed.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have now watched Tyrannosaur.

I got the sense that for most of the film, you had two people on journeys going in opposite directions, but with nevertheless similar features.

At the start, both Joseph and Hannah used crutches to help them cope with life: Joseph used alcohol, and Hannah used religion (it was never clear if Hannah had historically used alcohol). When Joseph reached the "last straw" moments, he usually reacted with "heat of the moment" violence. In contrast, Hannah would react by using praying and a cup of tea, to control her "heat of the moment" emotions.

But as the film progressed we saw Hannah start to lose her self control, and start to use alcohol as a crutch as well. In contrast Joseph started to drink tea more, and also to control his urges for heat of the moment violence. Several times it seemed that Joseph was about to wade in with the baseball bat, and beat the m***e from the yob across the street, but each time he pulled back, and walked away.

Nevertheless it did come as a shock near the end, to discover that Hannah had snapped, and used in the heat of the moment violence, to kill her husband. In contrast, even though Joseph had stopped resorting to violence in the heat of the moment, he was still left with the urge to use violence in a planned, calculated manner to dispense justice (ie waiting till everything had calmed down, then going and killing the dog).

At the end of the film, we were left with the impression that Joseph had come to terms with his nature, done his time for killing the dog, and maybe was now on the path to a better future. Hannah was still paying for her crime, but one got the sense that she had started to relax her self control (think of the change in hairstyle), and maybe she had found someone (Joseph) to help her with her future when she left prison.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I try not to watch the films too early in the month, as I forget everything by the time discussion starts. I know I should make notes, but I never do.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've seen it before, it's definitely watchable, just don't watch it expecting another Pan's Labyrinth.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
I try not to watch the films too early in the month, as I forget everything by the time discussion starts. I know I should make notes, but I never do.

I thought I'd remember more about 'Tyrannosaur', but the few months inbetween watching and discussing left me unable to add to the discussion. I remembered the the basic storyline, just not enough of the details.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

JD

I think it's your turn to nominate next month's film, and you can choose either 3 or 4. If you're not ready to choose, I can take this turn, then you can go after me. Up to you.

And a reminder to all to watch 'Cronos' by the end of the weekend if possible.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

JD, Mike and David, have you watched Cronos yet?

JD, thought of your film choices yet?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
Would I be right in assuming the FC has had it.

I fear it has. I've tried my best to keep it going, but there is just not enough enthusiasm for it anymore.

Maybe we could continue it as a place to recommend films, and talk about the films we've seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts