The Vinyl Experiment.

I've not had my turntable long, after having a very long break from owning a turntable.

after listening to a friends Gyro SE, i thought i'd experiment with vinyl again. I've bought a turntable, tore it apart, built it back up again, covered it in vinyl wrap,experimented with mats,setup,damping, but more importantly, i've bought myself a dozen or so new albums on vinyl, most of which i already own on CD, some i own on Cassette also.

i've given the vinyl thing a good try out now, probably 100 hours of listening, and my overriding thought is that it has been a very worthwhile investment.

the turntable i have is a pretty old Rotel RP3000, from the 1970's. no flashy arm, nor a flashy cart either, but what it does with vinyl is fantastic, so much so, that i keep wondering what i'd have to buy to see significant gains?

the reason i bought this particular deck was, to experment with, to see if vinyl worked for me, and it does, it was cheap, and direct drive, with speed adjustment which i wanted after having a poor experience with a previous Dual turntable.

so my thoughts are now... i'm going to continue to buy vinyl, and look at making a significant upgrade to the turntable when i have enough vinyl to justify it.

what are your thoughts on a next step upgrade, and why? what sort of money gets you into the top 10% of performance without having to sell your house? lol.

FanthorpesHiFi

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Bigfish,

What amps & speakers are you running?

There are some very good value for money entry level decks out there at the moment from Rega and Pro-ject ranging from £200ish upwards.

The Debut Carbon at £325 is excellent value for money.

Dave

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I've not had my turntable long, after having a very long break from owning a turntable.

after listening to a friends Gyro SE, i thought i'd experiment with vinyl again. I've bought a turntable, tore it apart, built it back up again, covered it in vinyl wrap,experimented with mats,setup,damping, but more importantly, i've bought myself a dozen or so new albums on vinyl, most of which i already own on CD, some i own on Cassette also.

i've given the vinyl thing a good try out now, probably 100 hours of listening, and my overriding thought is that it has been a very worthwhile investment.

the turntable i have is a pretty old Rotel RP3000, from the 1970's. no flashy arm, nor a flashy cart either, but what it does with vinyl is fantastic, so much so, that i keep wondering what i'd have to buy to see significant gains?

the reason i bought this particular deck was, to experment with, to see if vinyl worked for me, and it does, it was cheap, and direct drive, with speed adjustment which i wanted after having a poor experience with a previous Dual turntable.

so my thoughts are now... i'm going to continue to buy vinyl, and look at making a significant upgrade to the turntable when i have enough vinyl to justify it.

what are your thoughts on a next step upgrade, and why? what sort of money gets you into the top 10% of performance without having to sell your house? lol.

Stay with the whole direct-drive 'thing' and get a nice Technics SL12100/SL1200. With your tweaking/modding instincts this will be a good platform for future arm upgrades like those possible with Origin Live for instance ...

http://www.originlive.com/tonearm-options-extras/tools-accessories/technics-armboard.html

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FanthorpesHiFi said:
What amps & speakers are you running?

There are some very good value for money entry level decks out there at the moment from Rega and Pro-ject ranging from £200ish upwards.

Bigfish likes direct drive and enjoys the speed adjustment ...

bigfish786 said:
... it was cheap, and direct drive, with speed adjustment which i wanted after having a poor experience with a previous Dual turntable.

Also, I am not sure what his amp and speakers have to do with the choice of another turntable. (Unless you just asked out of idle curiosity in which case my apologies.)

Whatever you decide to do in progressing your system bear in mind that when it comes to vinyl the best 'bangs for your bucks' comes from investing in a really good cartridge and, as previously posted, a good tonearm.

When it comes down to it the turntable does presicely that, it rotates, the tonearm / cartridge that is mounted to it is going to make the biggest difference.

Be very careful if going down the Technics sl1200 route as many are trashed ex- DJ kit (although having said that they are extremely well built).

I have a Leema Pulse Amp, powering some lovely Focal Chorus 826v speakers.

my choice of next/upgrade turntable does not neccessarily have to be direct drive, nor does it have to be new. what i would like is a piece of kit that takes the sound to the next level, with rock steady speed.

the choice out there is immence.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
into my 5th week now with a Gyrodec SE with RB303 & Benz Micro Ace - IMO way better than the RP6 (which was very good too) which it replaced, biggest thing for me was the depth of the imaging - absolutely fantatsic.

It may be the some of all parts though as I am using a valve amp & SS phono stage

a Gyro SE is definitely on my shopping list, but it may be some time before i can sneak one in the house. don't get me wrong, the Mrs would love one as well, but i need to take her on holiday first, and i also want to replace my car, and buy a road bike... etc,etc.

TRENDING THREADS