Newbie to vinyl

Eric Bradford

Sep 4, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I’d like to be able to play some old vinyl and I’m interested in:
1. Any recommendations for a relatively low priced turntable.
2. Will I need an amp and speakers or could I play directly through my Bose SoundTouch 10’s

I’m not an audiophile so won’t need top end sound quality.

Thanks

Gray

Welcome to this forum Eric.

Answer to your questions:

1) State your maximum budget - and you will get recommendations.

2) You don't need an amp and speakers.
Your speaker(s) have an aux input.
That would accept the output from the (necessary) phono preamplifier.
That preamp is sometimes built into the turntable - but it can be a standalone box.

If you really want to do your vinyl justice, you would need an amp and speakers....and a fairly large overall budget.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I’d like to be able to play some old vinyl and I’m interested in:
1. Any recommendations for a relatively low priced turntable.
2. Will I need an amp and speakers or could I play directly through my Bose SoundTouch 10’s

I’m not an audiophile so won’t need top end sound quality.

Thanks
As regards playing though bose soundtouch, there a are number of turntables on the market from the likes of Sony, Audiotechnica and a few other makes that are Bluetooth.

Last edited:

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
As regards playing though bose soundtouch, there a are number of turntables on the market from the likes of Sony, Adiotechnica and a few other makes that are Bluetooth.
Just had a quick search of Audiotechnica Bluetooth turntables they range from £200-£500 all very much at the budget end of the turntable market, even Argos sell them.

Last edited:

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Where speakers have a wired aux input option (as OP Eric's have) it should always be chosen in preference to Bluetooth from a turntable....surely?
To be fair I didn't even realise soundtouch 10 had a 3.5mm aux input. Not au fait with Bose even though we sold them for years. I work in the warehouse never see products out of the box🤣

Reactions: Gray

daveh75

Where speakers have a wired aux input option (as OP Eric's have) it should always be chosen in preference to Bluetooth from a turntable....surely?

If it saves the cost of a phono preamp, given the op has requested relatively low cost suggestions, is not an audiophile and the decidedly lo-fi nature of vinyl to begin with, I'm not so sure.

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Gray

If it saves the cost of a phono preamp, given the op has requested relatively low cost suggestions, is not an audiophile and the decidedly lo-fi nature of vinyl to begin with, I'm not so sure.
True, if he sticks to playing his old collection.
But if he starts paying the ludicrous price of new vinyl....the cost of a phono pre will seem like a bargain.

And, any TT with BT out, must have a built-in phono preamp anyway.

Reactions: Wagtail

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
True, if he sticks to playing his old collection.
But if he starts paying the ludicrous price of new vinyl....the cost of a phono pre will seem like a bargain.

And, any TT with BT out, must have a built-in phono preamp anyway.
A couple of the Audiotechnica turntables have usb out too. So all bases covered for a Soundtouch 10

Reactions: Gray

Oxfordian

No idea on Budget for this but both Rega and Pro-Ject have 'all in one' turntable packages, priced at £1000 and £1600 respectively.

Having said that there are probably ways of putting together a system from different brands for less than the price of the Rega, just need the OP to indicate how deep the pockets are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts