The ultimate shoot out?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
I forgot to add one important thing; I noticed Panasonic ZT showing a speckled pattern in the blacks during the TDKR scene. This wasn't consistent, and showed up in some more scenes. Anybody else noticed it?

Nope, not on mine.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
I forgot to add one important thing; I noticed Panasonic ZT showing a speckled pattern in the blacks during the TDKR scene. This wasn't consistent, and showed up in some more scenes. Anybody else noticed it?

Was that from a normal viewing distance or up very close?

HDTVfan said:
bigboss said:

Up very close. I think I saw it from a normal viewing distance as well, can't be sure. Definitely not there on others.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:
bigboss said:

Up very close. I think I saw it from a normal viewing distance as well, can't be sure. Definitely not there on others.

It's dithering, Panasonic use this as part of the panel drive system i think to obtain the spectacular black levels these sets can achieve. It usualy can not be seen from normal viewing distances.

T

theflyingwasp

Will stick the dark knight rises on next and have a look see,just watched land of the lost and vanilla sky.

T

theflyingwasp

Just spent a good 15 mins on the dark knight rises definite dithering on various scenes .we are talking almost nose to screen here tho,as for normal viewing angles nothing.you can't even see the black bars in dark scenes.

Must have seen this film 20 times the IMAX scenes still bring a tear to the eye!

T

theflyingwasp

It may be long wait and to be honest I really don't care what technology or company wins in the next gen race .to see hopefully my favourite films in 75/85 inch screen in 4/8k with absolute zero black level and at 48/60 fps is going to be something to behold and by the time avatar 2 comes out for home viewing we might be almost there - imagine 20 years from now -

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
There is a live streamed Shootout coming up in the USA soon, hosted by Value Electronics this will be it's 10th year. All the major players willl be there, including leading calibrators in the world of AV, DNice, Kevin Miller, David Mackenzie.

The Shootout is hosted by the owner of Value Electronics Robert Zohn, who's is also highly respected in the world of AV and a excellent host. There is also a real time message/conversation board running along side the live feed for questions or just to talk to each other in real time.

I will keep you all informed of the dates etc as it is run over two days.

Here is a sample of previous shootouts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqTlDmHjaR0

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Just watched the dark night and only displayed noise and dithering is when I stand really close to the screen which is normal. When sat 3 metres away, then nothing absolute black, no noise or anything.

When I was at the shoot out, everybody got up and close to the TVs so they could see them in the right viewing angles, well for the LEDs any way. The ZT and OLED you could see from all angles and they looked fantastic. If too close though to these sets, then yes you would see noise and dithering.

T

theflyingwasp

To the guys who went to the shootout

all of the tvs at the shoutout playing the same content together was there really a big diffrence in all these tvs ?.i mean the dark knight rises for example when playing that really dark scene in which bane breaks batmans back did the ZT or the OLED etc immediately grab your attention or was it pointed out to you what was the best image.

at last years hd shootout in America the calibrators themselves even said they were nitpicking the flagship sony,Samsung,Panasonic and LG were all excellent picture quality.

T

theflyingwasp

Before I hooked up the ZT I wish I'd plonked it next to the GT on a makeshift stand and played the same content just to see what I was paying for .

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks ever so much for that input bigboss as it was good reading there :)

I am at the moment saving for a 4K TV though and will wait untill next year probably befor finding out as to which one to be buying.

4x x normal HD, gotta be a winner..... the Tv's will probably keep getting better and cheaper, hopefully :clap:

buzz_lightclick

An interesting detailed write up Big Boss. I just wondered what you were hoping to improve from your Kuro in the first place if you went along with the mindset of perhaps changing to one of the TVs (or one like them) on display? Now it appears you've decided to keep your KRP because Vincent said the later batch were unofficial 10th gen and that's what you've got so now your suddenly happy with it? Oh, and he also said Kuro still has the best blacks? I guess it was 4K that got you thinking of changing?

Personally, the only thing I'd change my 500-A for would be a 600-A :grin:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
Now it appears you've decided to keep your KRP because Vincent said the later batch were unofficial 10th gen and that's what you've got so now your suddenly happy with it?

I'm sure that the good doctor who wrote an excellent report about Saturday's shootout is more than capable of speaking for himself, but your comment seems less than charitable. My impression is that bigboss has seen for himself that good though the new TVs are, they are still not a signicant improvement over the seemingly timeless excellence of his Pioneer 500A plasma. You clearly missed bigboss's post, page 5 number 7 of this thread, where he said:

bigboss said:
theflyingwasp said:
Excellent report BB would like to see a calibrated panasonic ST60 next the ZT65 ,watching kick ass 2 just now quite simply phenomenal picture .are you still not swayed by the ZT?

It's a superb TV, but I don't think it offers much more than what my Kuro is currently offering.

buzz_lightclick

Son_of_SJ said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Now it appears you've decided to keep your KRP because Vincent said the later batch were unofficial 10th gen and that's what you've got so now your suddenly happy with it?

I'm sure that the good doctor who wrote an excellent report about Saturday's shootout is more than capable of speaking for himself, but your comment seems less than charitable. My impression is that bigboss has seen for himself that good though the new TVs are, they are still not a signicant improvement over the seemingly timeless excellence of his Pioneer 500A plasma. You clearly missed bigboss's post, page 5 number 7 of this thread, where he said:

bigboss said:
theflyingwasp said:
Excellent report BB would like to see a calibrated panasonic ST60 next the ZT65 ,watching kick ass 2 just now quite simply phenomenal picture .are you still not swayed by the ZT?

It's a superb TV, but I don't think it offers much more than what my Kuro is currently offering.

Well, I guess you clearly missed my first sentence where I praised his "interesting detailed write up"

No, I didn't miss the quote about the ZT65, but from what I've read previously (perhaps you've missed this), he wouldn't consider a Pansonic TV in any case due to their reported reluctance to fix any screens issues under warranty.

I was under the impression he was more interested in 4K Led TVs (correct me if I'm wrong).

I just wanted to know what he hoped to gain over the Kuro in the first place, and it seemed, from his report, that once he was told by Vincent that the 500A is still ahead in some areas, then he decided that it was good enough to keep, for now.

I must emphasise that I found the report very interesting and helpful.

The reason is straightforward; I'm planning to move shortly and am in the process of selling my house. There's a good chance I'll have to rent it out instead, fully furnished. In that case, I'll have to leave my Kuro behind. Then what's my next option? I'm still debating whether I should replace the Kuro with a cheap TV instead before renting it out (which will be a waste of money when I sell the house next year and the buyer doesn't want it).

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:
The reason is straightforward; I'm planning to move shortly and am in the process of selling my house. There's a good chance I'll have to rent it out instead, fully furnished. In that case, I'll have to leave my Kuro behind. Then what's my next option?

Ah ok, that makes sense. Perhaps I didn't make my initial point so well. I was curious of your initial motivation (in how you were looking to improve on the Kuro or what you were hoping to gain) and the reason for your change of heart (decision to keep it). But I think I understand now.

If you have to leave your Kuro behind, then you could always get another one 2nd hand, a mint condition 500-A sold on ebay yesterday for £920! :)

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
14327758515_e11c344596.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts