The ultimate shoot out?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
simonlewis said:
bigboss said:
Vincent thinks the next 3 years or so will be a low phase for TVs. With plasma gone and OLED not yet fully matured, you will have only LED to choose from. He isn't holding his breath for the upcoming flagship Panasonic AX900, as it employs an IPS panel.

So where does the leave you bb or haven't you decided yet, it is a lot of info to take in and would probably leave me very confused you could buy something cheaper to tied you over for the next couple of years something like the samsung HU7500.

At the moment, I'm keeping my Kuro. If I have to buy a 4K TV, it would be Samsung HU7500.

smiley-smile.gif

T

theflyingwasp

bigboss said:
Vincent thinks the next 3 years or so will be a low phase for TVs. With plasma gone and OLED not yet fully matured, you will have only LED to choose from. He isn't holding his breath for the upcoming flagship Panasonic AX900, as it employs an IPS panel.

thats actually quite sad news,people spending £1000s on new current tvs with no better picture quality than your 5-6 year old kuro .after all we are talking about picture quality here not all the smart features rubbish no one uses.if I was in the market for a new tv I'd be going with the 65inch VT65 by the looks of things that will keep all the videophiles happy for quite a while.

D

Deleted member 2457

So what was the verdict on the LG OLED again? Because I quite like that.
What was it like next to the Panasonic plasma? Was one winning outright or not? Ta

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
The LG OLED was far superior to Panasonic in displaying blacks, but suffered with motion, displaying blue and white, and DSE.

:cheers:

There was an interesting discussion about manufacturers as well (informally):

Panasonic - Great Engineers. Committed to improving technology. But the higher management isn't really interested in TVs, and so the quality of components has taken a hit in recent years. Panasonic wants to get out of TV business, and concentrate on appliances and hair dryers.

Sony - Great at listening to feedback and making improvements, but increasingly, investment into R&D is dwindling. They didn't know their TVs were amongst the best for gaming, until a couple of months ago!

Samsung - Have some good Engineers. Big R&D investment but doesn't always listen to feedback. They know their TVs will sell regardless. Not interested in plasma.

LG - Is only competing with Samsung. Doesn't know what constitutes a good TV. Does not provide much calibration control, and doesn't listen to feedback.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
There was an interesting discussion about manufacturers as well (informally):

Panasonic - Great Engineers. Committed to improving technology. But the higher management isn't really interested in TVs, and so the quality of components has taken a hit in recent years. Panasonic wants to get out of TV business, and concentrate on appliances and hair dryers.

Sony - Great at listening to feedback and making improvements, but increasingly, investment into R&D is dwindling. They didn't know their TVs were amongst the best for gaming, until a couple of months ago!

Samsung - Have some good Engineers. Big R&D investment but doesn't always listen to feedback. They know their TVs will sell regardless. Not interested in plasma.

LG - Is only competing with Samsung. Doesn't know what constitutes a good TV. Does not provide much calibration control, and doesn't listen to feedback.

Not too good is it!

Just want to add; Crampton and Moore arranged the shootout, and were present throughout the day. It was refreshing to see retailers taking active interest. Panasonic Leeds, Harrogate and Doncaster stores also belong to them. Even reviews online seem very positive. I would wholeheartedly recommend them for TV purchase.

D

Deleted member 2457

I can see me keeping my Panasonic for a long time.
:)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting review of your day bigboss, thanks for all your effort to pass on what you saw to the rest of us. :cheers:

hope you enjoyed it

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I found the LG didn't show enough detail in the dark scenes compared to the ZT although It did have deeper blacks, there was a hint of blue in the dark sky's and some red tint and didn't display the blacks as they should in a calibrated picture.

Because I'd left early, Vincent has emailed me confirming the ZT had won overall!

so any body with a top end kuro, panasonic or Samsung plasma, then don't go out and rush to by a new tv. The new OLED and 4k LEDs are not there yet. Give it a couple of years and more content... Hopefully!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Just want to add; Crampton and Moore arranged the shootout, and were present throughout the day. It was refreshing to see retailers taking active interest. Panasonic Leeds, Harrogate and Doncaster stores also belong to them. Even reviews online seem very positive. I would wholeheartedly recommend them for TV purchase.

BB did you enjoy the calibrated picture, were you impressed?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:

I've been saying the same since Panasonic ended plasma production and it seemed the F8500 would be Samsung's last high end plasma.

Resolution is important, but we're reaching a point at which higher resolutions offer incremental rather than dramatic improvement, unless we're talking really big screens or projectors.

I still maintain that native contrast is the most important aspect of image quality, and the foundation of a good picture. There's no getting around the fact that self emissive pixel technology always betters edge or backlighting in this regard.

theflyingwasp said:
bigboss said:

thats actually quite sad news,people spending £1000s on new current tvs with no better picture quality than your 5-6 year old kuro .after all we are talking about picture quality here not all the smart features rubbish no one uses.if I was in the market for a new tv I'd be going with the 65inch VT65 by the looks of things that will keep all the videophiles happy for quite a while.

The videophiles are in a minority. Plasma's demise was due to all the misinformation spread by retailers to push LCD, saying plasma is old tech. So most manufacturers including Pioneer moved out early. Panasonic persisted for few more years, with Samsung and LG. But even Panasonic concentrated more on plasma than LED lit LCD sosuffered the same fate. Samsung and LG just aren't interested in plasma at all. The market shift is mainly steered by the consumers than the manufacturers. So the majority won't complain, as they've been fed with the information that LED is superior to plasma.

D

Deleted member 2457

I can't seem to find any other feedback on other forums! Anyone seen any?

D

Deleted member 2457

So it looks like Panasonic could produce quite good 4K TVs then? Excited to see their better ones.

T

theflyingwasp

bigboss said:
theflyingwasp said:
bigboss said:

The videophiles are in a minority. Plasma's demise was due to all the misinformation spread by retailers to push LCD, saying plasma is old tech. So most manufacturers including Pioneer moved out early. Panasonic persisted for few more years, with Samsung and LG. But even Panasonic concentrated more on plasma than LED lit LCD sosuffered the same fate. Samsung and LG just aren't interested in plasma at all. The market shift is mainly steered by the consumers than the manufacturers. So the majority won't complain, as they've been fed with the information that LED is superior to plasma.

so where does that leave people like us? It seems to be that if you have a decent size plasma stick with it.if not well try and get a plasma because everything else is well for the moment pointless unless you're just a casual consumer who just wants a new tv because their old one packed in.

T

theflyingwasp

What tv does Vincent have?,in fact does anyone know what tv the top calibratrers have? When Steve withers calibrated my 2 tvs back in October he still has his pioneer kuro that he tinkers with every now and then aswell as a dedicated home cinema projector set up for movies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts