The ultimate shoot out?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to say i could not make it due to illness in the family, looking forward to hearing the attendees thoughts on this event (hope you people enjoyed the demo material).:)

Right, just got back!

The TVs present were (from left to right):

Samsung UE65HU8500 4K (curved)

Panasonic AX802 4K

Sony 65X9005B 4K

Samsung UE65HU7500 4K (flat)

LG 1080p OLED

Panasonic 65ZT65

For the rest of the article, I’ll mention the TVs as Samsung 4K flat / curved, Sony 4K, Panasonic 4K, LG OLED and Panasonic ZT. I was sat on the first row in the centre, about 8 feet from the TVs. WE also had a chance to walk around and look at the TVs more closely.

1) 4K vs 1080p

We started with comparing Netflix 4K (House of cards) on the Samsungs and the Sony. Panasonic did not support Netflix 4K.

Pictures were quite sharp, but not eye popping as you would expect with 4K. On comparison with House of cards season 1 on blu-ray (the opening credits are the same in season 1 & 2) on the LG and Panasonic ZT, the pictures were very similar. I couldn’t appreciate the difference 4K brings. According to Vincent, this was mainly due to 4K compression that Netflix employs. We also compared a less compressed 4K clip on 4K TVs with the same clip in 1080p on 1080p TVs. 4K was a bit sharper, more noticeable when you walk closer. Where 4K really shone was with a demo clip of food. Absolutely stunning!! The images just popped out.

All 4K TVs upscaled 1080p content and SD content quite brilliantly, and the pictures were compared to those on 1080p TVs.

Overall, I do not think there’s much to differentiate between 4K and 1080p TVs. Lack of 4K content make 1080p TVs an attractive bargain at the moment. The advantages of 4K are definitely there, when there’s enough content and provided it’s not compressed too much.

2) Blacks

Plasma and OLED had a clear advantage over LED. All 4K TVs struggled with displaying true blacks. The black bars on top and bottom looked dark grey on LED. OLED was the best, with proper black. It made even the plasma look average! Amongst the LED TVs, Panasonic displayed the deepest black, followed by Samsungs. Sony disappointed the most. What Sony does though, is when there’s a pure black screen, it switches the LED off. So pitch black looks blacker on the Sony compared to others, as long as there’s no other picture to display.

They played a clip from TDKR, where Bane breaks Batman’s back. LG was the best, followed by Panasonic ZT, Panasonic 4K, Samsungs and Sony in that order.

They then played a clip from Kill Bill vol. 2 where Uma Thurman is buried. There were occasional flickers of light when she used to switch the torch on. LG was proper black, and it managed to show the detail when the light was switched on, but I thought it was too dark. Panasonic ZT displayed detail the best, followed by Panasonic 4K and Sony. Samsung’s algorithm got confused and was simply flicking the screen between black and grey, and was unable to show any picture at all. Vincent said this was amongst the most difficult pictures to show on TV in general and is quite rare.

Vincent did mention that Panasonic has always brightened the shadow detail by gamma tracking and deviated from reference compared to Kuro.

According to him, the Panasonics have not reached the black levels of the Kuro. In fact, the last batch of Pioneer KRP plasmas had a 10th generation Kuro panel which was blacker than even the 9th generation Kuro! My Kuro probably has the 10th generation panel, as I ordered the very last batch.

One thing to add: the differences between the TVs in blacks were very apparent in perfectly dark environment. When they switched the lights on (even when dim), the differences rapidly diminished and in bright light, it was very difficult to spot (except on OLED). Also, in presence of more colours on the screen (including black and white chequered pattern), the difference between blacks gets significantly smaller.

3) Whites

This is where LEDs had a clear advantage over plasma as well as OLED. Samsung flat was the whitest, followed by Samsung curved, Panasonic 4K, Sony, Panasonic plasma and LG in that order. Plasmas made after 2009 energy regulations had Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) built in, which cannot be switched off. That’s why Panasonic ZT suffered. LG was quite interesting. Theoretically, it should be able to display perfect whites as it’s the most energy efficient, but Vincent thinks LG has employed ABL to prevent the OLED from burning in.

They then played a clip showing snow. The results were similar to the white test pattern. LG showed a reddish tinge to snow, especially on bottom right. It was quite distracting.

If you view the TVs on their own without comparing, you won’t mind the whites of plasma. Also, in presence of more colours on the screen (including black and white chequered pattern), the difference between whites gets significantly smaller.

4) Colour

As a rule, if you have a perfectly black canvas, colours will show better. LG was the best here, but it struggled a bit with blues, with a purplish tinge. This is because LG employs a WRGB panel as opposed to true RGB panel of Samsung. Panasonic ZT was glorious in displaying colour, followed by the Samsungs, the Panasonic and the Sony in that order.

They played a clip from Life of Pi. Overall, the OLED and plasma was better than LED, but the difference wasn’t much. All the TVs were beautiful to look at.

5) Motion

They played a test pattern from AVS HD (like the one below) which was scrolling from right to left of the screen.

00001mplssnapshot293520.png

The 4 vertical lines in each group get closer as they go down. The longer they remain distinctly separate, better is the motion. Initially, all motion processing in the LED and OLED was switched off. Plasma did not need any motion processing.

Panasonic ZT showed all the 4 distinct lines all the way down to 1080. This was followed by the Samsungs, which went down till 600, then the Panasonic 4K at 500, the Sony at 350 and LG at 300. I was quite shocked with how poorly the LG performed.

With motion processing switched on to standard, the Samsungs went down all the way to 1080, Panasonic 4K to 1000, Sony to 900 and LG to around 700.

In motion interpolation detection pattern (where a black and white chequered box was moving around the screen on a blue and white (smaller) chequered background), the Samsung was the best, even better than the Panasonic ZT.

4K LED and OLED employ sample and hold motion processing, which the Panasonic employs impulse. Sample and hold is prone to flicker.

To compensate for this, Sony and Samsung employ black frame insertion. When activated, Samsung was better. Sony is meant to be superior here, but it dims the image which cannot be compensated enough. Black frame insertion introduces flicker which apparently has got better since last year.

They played a football clip. Panasonic was clearly the best with motion and panning shots. LG looked very attractive with beautiful images, which made motion problems more difficult to spot. LEDs suffered from some judder, but I thought they were eminently watchable.

6) Screen uniformity

They showed a grey screen. Panasonic ZT was perfectly uniform. Samsung flat was amazingly uniform too, followed by curved. Vincent says Samsung moved the power from the back of the panel away about 2 years ago, which has paid rich dividends. Samsung TVs from series 7 upwards have the most uniform panels amongst all LED TVs. Due to the curve, the corners did not look uniform in the Samsung 4K curved. Panasonic and Sony displayed quite significant clouding, with Sony being worse. LG was actually the worst, with bad DSE.

7) 3D

The manufacturers aren’t interested in 3D much. In fact, on 2014 models, there’s no dedicated 3D button on the remotes of Samsung, Sony and LG. We did not use 3D glasses, but saw some patterns (vertical and horizontal scanning). Samsung and Sony showed the pattern perfectly well, followed by Panasonic 4K. Interestingly, Panasonic ZT cannot do full HD 3D which was very apparent on the patterns. This is because they preferred gradation to resolution for better picture quality at the expense of resolution. Samsung plasma (F8500) preferred resolution to gradation.

They then showed a clip from Wall-E. Sony and Panasonic 4K displayed it the best. Samsungs showed judder playing 24p 3D clip, because they do it at 60p (which is what they use in South Korea). They aren’t interested in correcting this for other countries. You can eliminate judder by motion interpolation. This gives the picture a “soap opera” effect. The pictures looked very real with no judder. I actually preferred it, but I was in the minority in the group today. Vincent prefers judder to soap opera effect.

8) Gaming

Vincent measured input lags on some TVs in front of us. Sony has the best input lag amongst LEDs (around 30-35ms in game mode), followed by the Panasonic 4K and then the Samsung. LG was average. Panasonic plasma, on paper showed an input lag of 44.5ms but that was because of impulse processing, and the device is designed to read from sample and hold processing. Vincent thinks the real input lag is likely to be closer to 20-24ms. Also, there’s no dedicated game mode on Panasonic, so you can fiddle with other processing to get far better pictures than the LEDs.

9) Viewing angles

All LEDs suffered from drop in picture quality when you beyond 60-70 degrees on either side, while plasma and OLED were perfect even in extreme angles.

So, in conclusion (my opinion):

1) Panasonic ZT plasma is the best buy overall

2) LG OLED showed the best pictures by a significant margin, but the technology isn’t mature yet.

3) Amongst 4K TVs, I thought Samsung flat was the best, due to screen uniformity, accurate rendition of whites and better motion control. It was better than the curved due to screen uniformity. Also, the reflection on the curved Samsung is far more distracting that the flat TVs.

4) Panasonic 4K had the deepest blacks amongst the 4K TVs, but I didn’t like the clouding. However, Panasonic 4K won when we voted our choices.

5) Sony was surprisingly poor overall. It had the best sounding speakers though.

6) No TV is perfect. Choose according to which features are important to you.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Right, just got back!

The TVs present were (from left to right):

Samsung UE65HU8500 4K (curved)

Panasonic AX802 4K

Sony 65X9005B 4K

Samsung UE65HU7500 4K (flat)

LG 1080p OLED

Panasonic 65ZT65

For the rest of the article, I’ll mention the TVs as Samsung 4K flat / curved, Sony 4K, Panasonic 4K, LG OLED and Panasonic ZT. I was sat on the first row in the centre, about 8 feet from the TVs. WE also had a chance to walk around and look at the TVs more closely.

1) 4K vs 1080p

We started with comparing Netflix 4K (House of cards) on the Samsungs and the Sony. Panasonic did not support Netflix 4K.

Pictures were quite sharp, but not eye popping as you would expect with 4K. On comparison with House of cards season 1 on blu-ray (the opening credits are the same in season 1 & 2) on the LG and Panasonic ZT, the pictures were very similar. I couldn’t appreciate the difference 4K brings. According to Vincent, this was mainly due to 4K compression that Netflix employs. We also compared a less compressed 4K clip on 4K TVs with the same clip in 1080p on 1080p TVs. 4K was a bit sharper, more noticeable when you walk closer. Where 4K really shone was with a demo clip of food. Absolutely stunning!! The images just popped out.

All 4K TVs upscaled 1080p content and SD content quite brilliantly, and the pictures were compared to those on 1080p TVs.

Overall, I do not think there’s much to differentiate between 4K and 1080p TVs. Lack of 4K content make 1080p TVs an attractive bargain at the moment. The advantages of 4K are definitely there, when there’s enough content and provided it’s not compressed too much.

2) Blacks

Plasma and OLED had a clear advantage over LED. All 4K TVs struggled with displaying true blacks. The black bars on top and bottom looked dark grey on LED. OLED was the best, with proper black. It made even the plasma look average! Amongst the LED TVs, Panasonic displayed the deepest black, followed by Samsungs. Sony disappointed the most. What Sony does though, is when there’s a pure black screen, it switches the LED off. So pitch black looks blacker on the Sony compared to others, as long as there’s no other picture to display.

They played a clip from TDKR, where Bane breaks Batman’s back. LG was the best, followed by Panasonic ZT, Panasonic 4K, Samsungs and Sony in that order.

They then played a clip from Kill Bill vol. 2 where Uma Thurman is buried. There were occasional flickers of light when she used to switch the torch on. LG was proper black, and it managed to show the detail when the light was switched on, but I thought it was too dark. Panasonic ZT displayed detail the best, followed by Panasonic 4K and Sony. Samsung’s algorithm got confused and was simply flicking the screen between black and grey, and was unable to show any picture at all. Vincent said this was amongst the most difficult pictures to show on TV in general and is quite rare.

Vincent did mention that Panasonic has always brightened the shadow detail by gamma tracking and deviated from reference compared to Kuro.

According to him, the Panasonics have not reached the black levels of the Kuro. In fact, the last batch of Pioneer KRP plasmas had a 10th generation Kuro panel which was blacker than even the 9th generation Kuro! My Kuro probably has the 10th generation panel, as I ordered the very last batch.

One thing to add: the differences between the TVs in blacks were very apparent in perfectly dark environment. When they switched the lights on (even when dim), the differences rapidly diminished and in bright light, it was very difficult to spot (except on OLED). Also, in presence of more colours on the screen (including black and white chequered pattern), the difference between blacks gets significantly smaller.

3) Whites

This is where LEDs had a clear advantage over plasma as well as OLED. Samsung flat was the whitest, followed by Samsung curved, Panasonic 4K, Sony, Panasonic plasma and LG in that order. Plasmas made after 2009 energy regulations had Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) built in, which cannot be switched off. That’s why Panasonic ZT suffered. LG was quite interesting. Theoretically, it should be able to display perfect whites as it’s the most energy efficient, but Vincent thinks LG has employed ABL to prevent the OLED from burning in.

They then played a clip showing snow. The results were similar to the white test pattern. LG showed a reddish tinge to snow, especially on bottom right. It was quite distracting.

If you view the TVs on their own without comparing, you won’t mind the whites of plasma. Also, in presence of more colours on the screen (including black and white chequered pattern), the difference between whites gets significantly smaller.

4) Colour

As a rule, if you have a perfectly black canvas, colours will show better. LG was the best here, but it struggled a bit with blues, with a purplish tinge. This is because LG employs a WRGB panel as opposed to true RGB panel of Samsung. Panasonic ZT was glorious in displaying colour, followed by the Samsungs, the Panasonic and the Sony in that order.

They played a clip from Life of Pi. Overall, the OLED and plasma was better than LED, but the difference wasn’t much. All the TVs were beautiful to look at.

5) Motion

They played a test pattern from AVS HD (like the one below) which was scrolling from right to left of the screen.

00001mplssnapshot293520.png

The 4 vertical lines in each group get closer as they go down. The longer they remain distinctly separate, better is the motion. Initially, all motion processing in the LED and OLED was switched off. Plasma did not need any motion processing.

Panasonic ZT showed all the 4 distinct lines all the way down to 1080. This was followed by the Samsungs, which went down till 600, then the Panasonic 4K at 500, the Sony at 350 and LG at 300. I was quite shocked with how poorly the LG performed.

With motion processing switched on to standard, the Samsungs went down all the way to 1080, Panasonic 4K to 1000, Sony to 900 and LG to around 700.

In motion interpolation detection pattern (where a black and white chequered box was moving around the screen on a blue and white (smaller) chequered background), the Samsung was the best, even better than the Panasonic ZT.

4K LED and OLED employ sample and hold motion processing, which the Panasonic employs impulse. Sample and hold is prone to flicker.

To compensate for this, Sony and Samsung employ black frame insertion. When activated, Samsung was better. Sony is meant to be superior here, but it dims the image which cannot be compensated enough. Black frame insertion introduces flicker which apparently has got better since last year.

They played a football clip. Panasonic was clearly the best with motion and panning shots. LG looked very attractive with beautiful images, which made motion problems more difficult to spot. LEDs suffered from some judder, but I thought they were eminently watchable.

6) Screen uniformity

They showed a grey screen. Panasonic ZT was perfectly uniform. Samsung flat was amazingly uniform too, followed by curved. Vincent says Samsung moved the power from the back of the panel away about 2 years ago, which has paid rich dividends. Samsung TVs from series 7 upwards have the most uniform panels amongst all LED TVs. Due to the curve, the corners did not look uniform in the Samsung 4K curved. Panasonic and Sony displayed quite significant clouding, with Sony being worse. LG was actually the worst, with bad DSE.

7) 3D

The manufacturers aren’t interested in 3D much. In fact, on 2014 models, there’s no dedicated 3D button on the remotes of Samsung, Sony and LG. We did not use 3D glasses, but saw some patterns (vertical and horizontal scanning). Samsung and Sony showed the pattern perfectly well, followed by Panasonic 4K. Interestingly, Panasonic ZT cannot do full HD 3D which was very apparent on the patterns. This is because they preferred gradation to resolution for better picture quality at the expense of resolution. Samsung plasma (F8500) preferred resolution to gradation.

They then showed a clip from Wall-E. Sony and Panasonic 4K displayed it the best. Samsungs showed judder playing 24p 3D clip, because they do it at 60p (which is what they use in South Korea). They aren’t interested in correcting this for other countries. You can eliminate judder by motion interpolation. This gives the picture a “soap opera” effect. The pictures looked very real with no judder. I actually preferred it, but I was in the minority in the group today. Vincent prefers judder to soap opera effect.

8) Gaming

Vincent measured input lags on some TVs in front of us. Sony has the best input lag amongst LEDs (around 30-35ms in game mode), followed by the Panasonic 4K and then the Samsung. LG was average. Panasonic plasma, on paper showed an input lag of 44.5ms but that was because of impulse processing, and the device is designed to read from sample and hold processing. Vincent thinks the real input lag is likely to be closer to 20-24ms. Also, there’s no dedicated game mode on Panasonic, so you can fiddle with other processing to get far better pictures than the LEDs.

9) Viewing angles

All LEDs suffered from drop in picture quality when you beyond 60-70 degrees on either side, while plasma and OLED were perfect even in extreme angles.

So, in conclusion (my opinion):

1) Panasonic ZT plasma is the best buy overall

2) LG OLED showed the best pictures by a significant margin, but the technology isn’t mature yet.

3) Amongst 4K TVs, I thought Samsung flat was the best, due to screen uniformity, accurate rendition of whites and better motion control. It was better than the curved due to screen uniformity. Also, the reflection on the curved Samsung is far more distracting that the flat TVs.

4) Panasonic 4K had the deepest blacks amongst the 4K TVs, but I didn’t like the clouding. However, Panasonic 4K won when we voted our choices.

5) Sony was surprisingly poor overall. It had the best sounding speakers though.

6) No TV is perfect. Choose according to which features are important to you.

:cheers: Has it changed your decision on what TV you will buy?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Excellent report BB. You must have had a very big note pad or memory to remember all this :)

right decision, keep your Kuro because after today, I would be very disappointed if I purchased a 4k to replace your plasma.

BTW - where abouts were you sat in the room, at the front middle??

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Interesting it took me fifteen minutes to read that but worth it, i wish i could have gone now, i've been lusting over that 4K curved samsung tv, but now i'm not sure, i think i will keep saving and buy one next year.

BB did you say the curved samsungs suffered from reflections like plasma or a mirror because that would definately put me off.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Sat behind you in the middle in front of the barrier sat between a tall bloke with a red top on. I had a blue striped shirt with a bald head LOL..

i left just after the LG/ZT vs 4k with BLue ray test before lunch Had to at 12.30 to get back home..

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
simonlewis said:
BB did you say the curved samsungs suffered from reflections like plasma or a mirror because that would definately put me off.

The reflection itself isn't bad. Because of the curve, the reflection stretched with varying depth (due to the curve) which was disconcerting.

Okay thanks.

T

theflyingwasp

Excellent report BB would like to see a calibrated panasonic ST60 next the ZT65 ,watching kick ass 2 just now quite simply phenomenal picture .are you still not swayed by the ZT?

theflyingwasp said:
Excellent report BB would like to see a calibrated panasonic ST60 next the ZT65 ,watching kick ass 2 just now quite simply phenomenal picture .are you still not swayed by the ZT?

It's a superb TV, but I don't think it offers much more than what my Kuro is currently offering.

T

theflyingwasp

Many people including yourself are in the same position kinda in tv limbo at the moment ,stick with current flagships or go for current 4k models did that conversation come up .what would the experts do? Do you buy or do you wait?

Vincent thinks the next 3 years or so will be a low phase for TVs. With plasma gone and OLED not yet fully matured, you will have only LED to choose from. He isn't holding his breath for the upcoming flagship Panasonic AX900, as it employs an IPS panel.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Vincent thinks the next 3 years or so will be a low phase for TVs. With plasma gone and OLED not yet fully matured, you will have only LED to choose from. He isn't holding his breath for the upcoming flagship Panasonic AX900, as it employs an IPS panel.

So where does the leave you bb or haven't you decided yet, it is a lot of info to take in and would probably leave me very confused you could buy something cheaper to tied you over for the next couple of years something like the samsung HU7500.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:
bigboss said:
HDTVfan said:
Did Vincent use any of the Skyfall, Baraka or The Art Of Flight demos?

There was a Skyfall clip.

The Art Of Flight? :)

Yup, that was there, to show the whites. He said that it's one the best demo discs around. :)

It is a fantastic disc, ever since i seen it used in the US Shootout i was blown away by this one. Pleased he used it.

simonlewis said:
bigboss said:

So where does the leave you bb or haven't you decided yet, it is a lot of info to take in and would probably leave me very confused you could buy something cheaper to tied you over for the next couple of years something like the samsung HU7500.

At the moment, I'm keeping my Kuro. If I have to buy a 4K TV, it would be Samsung HU7500.

TRENDING THREADS