The ultimate shoot out?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I was at the event on Saturday too. Here is my take on things. Again, I must stress that this is my opinion.

Best 4K LCD was the Panasonic. Superb picture, but noticed a bit of clouding/backlight uniformity issues. Sound not as good as the Sony. Nothing major though.

2nd Best 4K LCD - Sony X9005B, due to superb sound, very low input lag, no issues with backlight uniformity/clouding. Netflix 4K built in.

Worst performing LCD's in my opinion were the Samsungs due to processing, high input lag and clouding, especially on the curved Samsung screen.

Best non 4K TV was the Panasonic ZT65 Plasma.

Finally 4K OLED LG - Vincent did mention that in his opinion, the Samsung 4K OLED is better due to how the OLED technology is employed in the screen when compared with LG. However with regards to OLED, not much is known about longevity of the panels at this stage. More worringly so was how the OLED handled some dark scenes from KIll Bill 2 and the Dark Knight Rises. On the Dark Knight Rises, the picture appeared too dark and the Kill Bill 2 scene could hardly be seen on the OLED 1

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
sound10 said:
Worst performing LCD's in my opinion were the Samsungs due to processing, high input lag and clouding, especially on the curved Samsung screen.

Did you notice any clouding on the HU7500 (the flat Samsung)?

Hi bigboss, the flat Samsung had a uniform backlight and I saw no clouding on it either.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
14327758515_e11c344596.jpg

:cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

sound10 said:
Hi everyone, I was at the event on Saturday too. Here is my take on things. Again, I must stress that this is my opinion.

Best 4K LCD was the Panasonic. Superb picture, but noticed a bit of clouding/backlight uniformity issues. Sound not as good as the Sony. Nothing major though.

2nd Best 4K LCD - Sony X9005B, due to superb sound, very low input lag, no issues with backlight uniformity/clouding. Netflix 4K built in.

Best non 4K TV was the Panasonic ZT65 Plasma.

Finally 4K OLED LG - Vincent did mention that in his opinion, the Samsung 4K OLED is better due to how the OLED technology is employed in the screen when compared with LG. However with regards to OLED, not much is known about longevity of the panels at this stage. More worringly so was how the OLED handled some dark scenes from KIll Bill 2 and the Dark Knight Rises. On the Dark Knight Rises, the picture appeared too dark and the Kill Bill 2 scene could hardly be seen on the OLED 1

:cheers:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
When I attended last year's shootout they also had a fabled "9.5 gen" 6090, sat alongside a VT65, a ZT65, and a Samsung F8500.

It was clear that the Kuro still trumped the Panasonics and Samsung in terms of MLL. In fact, in this regard, the distinction between the Kuro and VT/ZT was as noticeable as the distinction between the ZT/VT and F8500.

The ZT/VT and F8500 handled motion a little better than the 6090, but I walked away firmly convinced of one thing -- if you own a Kuro, keep it.

The Kuro is at least as good as current models, even if different televisions offer small advantages and disadvantages relative to the competition. And as broadly concluded, we'll be in the TV wilderness for at least a few years, due to OLED pricing and issues with 4K content delivery.

It's testament to Pioneer that they produced a TV five-to-six years ago that other manufacturers still can't better in conclusive terms.

T

theflyingwasp

Didn't pioneer sell the patents to panasonic aswell as many of the same engineers who worked on the kuro jumped ship to panasonic when pioneer called it quits with TVs.

also on YouTube Steve withers is talking to the head of panasonic France and he says the ZT may have been possible 5 years ago but it would have been at least 10grand.

also to any moderators reading this it is becomming almost impossible to post anything on this farce of a forum using any I-product .fix it out!!!!!!!!!! |(

theflyingwasp said:
Didn't pioneer sell the patents to panasonic aswell as many of the same engineers who worked on the kuro jumped ship to panasonic when pioneer called it quits with TVs.

Yes they did, but Panasonic never confirmed that they actually used the patents.

also to any moderators reading this it is becomming almost impossible to post anything on this farce of a forum using any I-product .fix it out!!!!!!!!!! |(

Disable rich text before typing. Solves the problem on my iPad.

T

theflyingwasp

Also BB sooner or later the kuro will end up in guest bedroom but to hell with leaving it in your old house ,*** to Asda and throw up a 50inch Polaroid it's to good to be left to 99% of the population that would not appreciate it.

I agree with series1boy tho a calibration would do no harm.

D

Deleted member 2457

The write up is here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/result-201406013793.htm

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
The write up is here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/result-201406013793.htm

I guess this means I have the best TV going and just sit back and enjoy it. I will hopefully keep my Panasonic for the full 5 year warranty, no faults permitting.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
My LX5090 did one thing better than my VT - you didnt get the blurring of faces in movement - posterisation. That is because of the way the panel moved the image

Apart from that I think the VT is better in every way from movement to down right accuracy of the image produced.

I bought one of the last 5090's available in the country - means nothing but I dont think the VT is any less black - in fact I think its at a splitting hairs level - side by side maybe noticeable and if the VT is calibrated to 2.2 gamma then it will look worse than the Kuro calibrated to 2.2 gamma for sure.

This is what strapped might have seen.

What the VT does is give far more controls to allow for a an accurate BT1886 calibration - you cannot do this on any Pioneer as you have no gamma controls. You do have 10 point white balance on the KRP's and they should defianately be calibrated by all owners.

Its the clarity and cleaness of the image you can get from the VT that amazes me. If it didnt have the few flaws - 1 main one for me it would be a perfect screen

Kuro great TV to still be considered a comaprison though after all the years

T

theflyingwasp

Apart from the ever on going black level debates with most tvs .the kuro is 5-6 years old there must be a lot of others performance factors that push the kuro down the list.excellent black level but........

What I do know is that the KRP-500A was superior to LX5090, which was even noted by reviewers at the time:

http://www.avforums.com/review/pioneer-500a-krp-500a-kuro-plasma-tv-review.25#sectionAnchorRundown

Yes, the ZT may have surpassed the Kuro overall, but for me personally, I would prefer the Pioneer over Panasonic because I know that superior components have been used to make the TV, and Pioneer's support has been exemplary (it's a moot point now really, since plasmas are disappearing altogether).

I had a little chat with Vincent regarding calibration. He finds BT.1886 a little washed out, since even with Panasonic VT / ZT and its famed blacks, the gamma tops out at 2.35 according to BT.1886 formula. And he targets gamma 2.4 with lower end of the greyscale aligned to 2.1-2.2.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I read vincents comments on bt1886 on a webpage where a lot of calibrators were asked about it.

Without sounding offensive i think he has done something wrong. Unless he runs contrast really high and that alters things cant see it as its the 0ire measurement that affects the curve.

My bt 1886 is mostly 2.4 gamma except roughly 30ire and down where it rises a bit to stop black crush.

This rise in gamma you control with the black level in the.software.

Power at 2.4gamma crushes detail.

I had forgot 1 other major flaw.the kuro didnt have thats grey vertical bars noticeable in very white scenes - thats.another major flaw against the VT.

I know the krp was better - better blacks better controls 10 point white balance, also by getting some noisey elements outside the box may have given a cleaner image than the 5090 Makes sense to me with what i know now.

I

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I havent spent enough time with my Dads ZT to check but i have a feeling bonding the screen to the glass might solve this problem - part internal reflection issue.

Not sure if other size vt has it or if its just where its.more difficult to manufacture the larger screen with exacting precision without costing too much.

My cousin has it on his 65vt as well so its not a fault.with my screen exclusively.

One those things notice every now and then on normal tv. Very very rarely on blu ray - very rarely opportunity to see it in 99.9% content.

I think it might be result having glass flush with bezel rather than recessed on older style display, or maybe trade off for being so thin.

If bright light shines on the back of the ZT you can see it on the screen

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ellisdj said:
If bright light shines on the back of the ZT you can see it on the screen

That happens with my GT too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigbernardbresslaw/14340090551/

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ellisdj said:
Must be where they are so thin - I assume you have yours in front of a window as well same as my Dad

It was only when the sunlight shone direct;y onto the back of the tv, then came through the small ventilation holes onto the screen as dots.

The sunlight was just creeping through a small gap at the side of my curtains, I've now blocked it, and no more problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts