The return of an old friend (Marantz M-CR603)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My Quad Vena is en-route to Quad for repair under it's 2 year warranty. (Intermittent but persistent distortion on left channel developed recently.)

Meanwhile old Marantz M-CR603 unboxed to 'step-in'. (Last used on 28th August 2015.)

It's very good!

I was expecting a few weeks of 'make-do-and-mend' performance in the Quad's absence, but this is way above expectation :)

(The Marantz never 'met' my AN AX-Twos - they were bought after it went in the cupboard - so this is new territory.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I realise that the sense of relief gained (by not sitting there dreading when the next bout of distortion will kick-in) has probably relaxed me and made listening enjoyable again for the first time in weeks.

At least I am not going to sit here missing the Quad while it gets repaired.

Hi chebby enjoy your old new marantz....I was also reunited with an old technics sc-ch505 midi system that I bought back in 1995.....I had gave it to my sister in law around 1998 as I started getting into the hi-fi thing....she no longer needed it's services so returned it to me and I've passed it on to my son...I can't believe it all still works...cd drawer/check....radio /check....electronic eject on the cassette decks.....yes cassette deck /check....digital db output meters /check and it all sounds rather nice and cuddly.lol.

It doesn't seem so long ago that once a week there were threads here about what speakers to pair with the Mrarantz. It was bit of a giant killer in its day and I'm sure you are delighted to have it back!

Shame about the Quad. I thought their reliability ills were history now they are made in China, rather than from an RS parts bin like the old days. That said, my Marantz sacd player seems to be skipping on the odd discs, so maybe something needs realigning.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
It doesn't seem so long ago that once a week there were threads here about what speakers to pair with the Mrarantz.

Anything within reason, so long as they are an easy load and you don't intend to replicate live concert levels!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
How does it compare with the Quad now you've had a couple of hours to reaquaint yourself with the Marantz?

It's been two days since I took the Quad back to the dealer.

The Quad is now 'tainted' as far as I am concerned, so i'll probably sell it after it's repair/replacement and get something else instead.

manicm

What will you be looking at Chebby? In a few months time I'm also looking at selling my entire setup, except my TV, and going the new Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 route - from WHF's review and the recent price drop it just looks a steal at the price, and has everything I'd ever need except for 4k which I don't. Still, I have to explain spending 1.5k to the wife.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
What will you be looking at Chebby? In a few months time I'm also looking at selling my entire setup, except my TV, and going the new Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 route - from WHF's review and the recent price drop it just looks a steal at the price, and has everything I'd ever need except for 4k which I don't. Still, I have to explain spending 1.5k to the wife.

I've read some good things about the Marantz HD-AMP1.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
The HD-AMP1 seems great, but what source would you pair it with? It has digital inputs + usb stick/pc, but no bluetooth or airplay streaming,

With the Quad i'd been using an AEX (at first) and then an ATV3 for AirPlay. The ATV3 is more flexible given that I can also use it for iPlayer Television/Amazon Prime/4oD etc. via their respective iOS apps and not just for audio.

The AEX now lives upstairs purely as a network extender.

The HD-AMP1 has two optical inputs which is plenty. I don't need Bluetooth.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just received an e-mail from my dealer to say they have managed to replicate the left channel fault and are now sending it off to Quad asap.

Phew! That removes any lingering doubts about my 'elimination' process (swapping speakers, swapping cables, trying all digital/analogue sources etc.)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In all fairness, the two were not world's apart in RRP nor power so personally I wouldn't be to surprised at your findings.

Marantz were able to supply them dirt cheap in the end because they probably sold gazillions (compared to Quad) and their product renewal is much more frequent than Quads

I think you may be surprised once you step up a level or two. It won't sound 'three times better' but will probably do the speakers more justice. I know form/function factor is of over riding importance to you so I'll refrain from suggestions.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I had an MCR-510 paired with Dali Zensor 3's and really liked it very much. Considering getting something similar for my daughter.

On a similar note when I was ampless in between selling my Arcam Solo and buying my new Roksan kit I resurrected my old Nad C320BEE into my main system and it sounded very very good indeed.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
knaithrover said:
I had an MCR-510 paired with Dali Zensor 3's and really liked it very much. Considering getting something similar for my daughter.

On a similar note when I was ampless in between selling my Arcam Solo and buying my new Roksan kit I resurrected my old Nad C320BEE into my main system and it sounded very very good indeed.

From your signature I can see that you and I both own integrated amps built around the Texas Instruments LM3886 power amp modules. (Quad Vena, Arcam A18 and A19 and some others.)

The original Arcam Solo Music also used an LM3886 amplifier too. (But not in the Arcam Solo-Mini oddly enough.)

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
knaithrover said:

From your signature I can see that you and I both own integrated amps built around the Texas Instruments LM3886 power amp modules. (Quad Vena, Arcam A18 and A19 and some others.)

The original Arcam Solo Music also used an LM3886 amplifier too. (But not in the Arcam Solo-Mini oddly enough.)

I never knew that, I must say, good as it was my Arcam Solo Music wasn't a patch on my A19 (or my A85 for that matter). The A19 imo is a brilliant amp for the money

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about the repaired/replaced Quad Vena returning one day.

Since Tuesday evening the relief and relaxation brought on by not constantly waiting for an intermittent fault to suddenly re-emerge is lovely.

Regardless of it's performance (relative to the Quad) I have been caught up agan in that sense of fun that I first had in March 2011 when I brought the Marantz home.

In some ways I think I bought the Quad to celebrate the end of a major health event that lasted 8 months rather than as a planned upgrade. (I replaced a lot of other things including furniture and computers at the same time.)

Up until the last few weeks/couple of months (when the Quad fault emerged) I had never given the Quad a thought. It sounded great, it worked well with the new Audio Note speakers at the time (the real 'stars' of the upgrade) and satisfied me on grounds of size and connectivity.

Despite any repair/replacement I am going to be very suspicious of the Quad when it returns. I expect to be sitting there forever listening for the fault again rather than 100 percent enjoying the system like I am now in it's absence.

Part of me is seriously contemplating selling the Quad on it's return and buying a new Marantz amp (PM6006 with it's two optical inputs maybe), or even the latest M-CR6nn iteration! (With a bit of extra cash the Marantz HD-AMP1 looks amazing.)

Maybe i'll give in to the over-bulky Yamaha/Onkyo 2ch digital receivers discussed in another thread recently.

I've decided against any used options though. (At least this fault occurred within warranty so i'm not left with a faulty amp I can't sell.)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you buy a new or used Monitor Audio A100 amplifier. Compact, great sounding, digital optical input and built in Airplay. Recently you could find them for £129-£149.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I have mixed feelings about the repaired/replaced Quad Vena returning one day.

Since Tuesday evening the relief and relaxation brought on by not constantly waiting for an intermittent fault to suddenly re-emerge is lovely.

It sounds like your mind has already been made up and who can blame you. If you're always going to have that niggling concern at the back of you mind I can see how it could effect your listening pleasure.

chebby said:
With a bit of extra cash the Marantz HD-AMP1 looks amazing.

Ohh yes. It looks lovely in silver too. Plus coming from such a large and reputable company as Marantz (aren't they owned by Pioneer or Panasonic which can only be a good thing) you can rest assured that long life and reliability will all part of the package.

I suspect that you would never be totally satisfied with a full size amplifier as its looks would always bug you at some level. The HD-AMP1 looks perfect for your seems though.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
tino said:
I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you buy a new or used Monitor Audio A100 amplifier. Compact, great sounding, digital optical input and built in Airplay. Recently you could find them for £129-£149.

I had one of these and liked it. Then I bought a marantz pm6005 for my living room. I know it's all personal, but the marantz for me was so much more enjoyable of a listen that I sold it and ended up with 2 marantz amps. The term budget amp is not what it used to be

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts