The return of an old friend (Marantz M-CR603)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Excellent. Good to read the update Chebby. I could well be drawn back in this direction myself eventually as I enjoyed the '610 when I had it.

I sort of see it as a big, beautiful stereo 'radio' with FM (via roof aerial), DAB, internet radio and AirPlay (for iOS BBC iPlayer Radio and all of my ripped iTunes content etc.)

The fact that it can play CDs too and has an excellent amp built in are real bonuses.

I don't need masses of power for my (90dB) Audio Notes, nor for my taste in [moderate] volume levels, nor for the room size.

I'll admit the Quad was (is) very good, but probably a mistake and an impulse buy after almost a year of bad health at the time.

I was shocked when the fault started happening (the only item of my hi-fi to have ever failed) and - irrationally maybe - can't bring myself to listen to it again. 'Tainted' goods despite being repaired and tested.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Someone somewhere is chewing their nails off at the thought of you pairing a microsystem with a street price of £300 to speakers whose original RRP was double that. Be interesting to know how you feel the sound compares to the Quad when you've had a few days to settle in.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Quite. Well you won't hear a complaint from my corner, I've always rated the 610 since I first heard it, and I assume the 611 is business as usual. I've only ever heard it mated with my dad's Q-Acoustics 2010s, I'm sure they can be bettered but for the price it's a match made in heaven. I even sort of get along with the much-hated Marantz smartphone app, although its ancient GUI, barely updated on iOS since the days of the iPhone 4, is desparately in need of a refresh.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Someone somewhere is chewing their nails off at the thought of you pairing a microsystem with a street price of £300 to speakers whose original RRP was double that. Be interesting to know how you feel the sound compares to the Quad when you've had a few days to settle in.

I used to be one of the finger chewers but no more. A mate of mine runs a Linn Klimax (with Katalyst) using Linn Katans on the end. He loves them and won't change. They sound immense.

That's at least £15k worth of kit with £1k speakers. I no longer believe the price=quality hype. I believe my lug 'oles.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

The speakers were £750 when I bought them but are still just simple, chipboard, vinyl wrap cabinets with very simple paper, Vifa drivers and foam surrounds (eek!). They are 'Handmade In Denmark' according to the badges on the front. The most important thing for me is that they perform well in corners and close to walls which is where they are. They are such an easy and comfortable listen without being at all dull.

As for the Quad, I am not running away with the idea that it was so 'special'. It not only shared it's 'engine room' (TI LM3886 power amp modules) with Arcam's A18 and the A19 and the 1st generation Solo Music, BUT also with the bargain basement Cambridge Audio Azur 350A and 351A amplifiers (before we get all carried away with it's credentials as 'chip bud' with various Arcams!)

All I know about the Marantz M-CR6nn amplifiers is that they are Class D/digital amplifiers and sound absolutely fine despite Class D's status among audiophiles being akin to "something I found on my shoe" even though the technology is mature! But some Audiophiles are still having CD vs Digital debates without realising ... 1. That CD is digital and 2. You are allowed to have both.

As for unlikely Marantz M-CR6nn pairings ...

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/marantz-m-cr603-a-compact-solution-packed-with-performance

... "I finally settled on the PMC GB1 speakers (normally used on the rear channels of my surround system) for most of the testing. That’s a pair of speakers selling for over £1500, yet the Marantz system proved more than capable of both driving them and making them sound rather special."

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Perhaps the finger-chewers should buy nail clippers and use the time they save to buy hi-fi based on how much they enjoy it instead of whether it follows any particular out-dated 'rules'.

Amen to that. Ignore the hype, enjoy the music.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
How does the finish of the M-CR611 compare to the M-CR603?

Am I right in thinking that when the 610 replaced the 603 the newer model looked and felt more "plasticky" (if there is such a word).

It's difficult to find a bad word about the MCR611.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
How does the finish of the M-CR611 compare to the M-CR603?

Am I right in thinking that when the 610 replaced the 603 the newer model looked and felt more "plasticky" (if there is such a word).

It's difficult to find a bad word about the MCR611.

A friend of mine still has a 610 with a pair of B&W 686's under her telly and uses it with the TV and also Airplay and Internet Radio. It's quite a remarkable sound for such a small unit and has been excellent value.

I find myself constantly wrestling with whether expensive hifi stuff is really worth it when you can hear stuff like that for not much more than £600.

I have actually, regularly, been tempted to sell up all my Linn stuff and net the cash and go 'back' to something like a simple Marantz PM6006/NA6005 setup and really wonder how much of a difference there would actually be?

Wonder what people's views of that mad idea would be?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
I have actually, regularly, been tempted to sell up all my Linn stuff and net the cash and go 'back' to something like a simple Marantz PM6006/NA6005 setup and really wonder how much of a difference there would actually be?

Wonder what people's views of that mad idea would be?

I have done this, either when a piece of kit either had to be mothballed for a while, or a component had to be sent back for repair....requiring the use of a much cheaper component.

Initially, the cheaper component sounded good enough for me to ask this very question....but over time, I found the detail, involvement and excitement was missing, which had me counting down the days until I had the better kit in situ again. It was the switching back that hammered home how much I was missing.

Other views may vary.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I have done this, either when a piece of kit either had to be mothballed for a while, or a component had to be sent back for repair....requiring the use of a much cheaper component.

Initially, the cheaper component sounded good enough for me to ask this very question....but over time, I found the detail, involvement and excitement was missing, which had me counting down the days until I had the better kit in situ again. It was the switching back that hammered home how much I was missing.

Other views may vary.

I must admit it's extremely tempting CNo - the stuff I have is fabulous, no doubt, but I often mull over whether it's that much better than a budget setup.

I guess the way to test it would be to home demo them side by side.

Out of interest - what did you 'downgrade' to and from?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

Other views may vary.

I must admit it's extremely tempting CNo - the stuff I have is fabulous, no doubt, but I often mull over whether it's that much better than a budget setup.

I guess the way to test it would be to home demo them side by side.

Out of interest - what did you 'downgrade' to and from?

- Arcam AVR300 standing in for the AVR350.

- A&R A60 instead of my AVR600 for 2 channel and TV

- Arcam DV79 replaced my Magik DS for a while

- When my main system (DS/AMS35/Refs) was mothballed, I used Linn Karik/Numerik + Kairn/LK100 + MA 852s)

IMO. It is very easy to take your system for granted, once you've owned it for a while.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I probably wouldn't forgoe proper grown up hifi for an all in one such as the Marantz but I can see the attraction of simplicity, price and versatility. The OP has sensitive speakers so the lack of power doesn't matter so much.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
drummerman said:
I probably wouldn't forgoe proper grown up hifi for an all in one such as the Marantz but I can see the attraction of simplicity, price and versatility. The OP has sensitive speakers so the lack of power doesn't matter so much.

Hmm. I wasn't so much thinking of an all in one but rather a combo further up the Marantz hierarchy such as PM8005/NA8005. I already have MA Silver 1's which would party with those two

I reckon I could claw back about £6k net. Is the 'grown up' that much better? That's the question. Money isn't the objective by the way; just the issue of whether expensive hifi is that much 'better' than the more populist, less expensive stuff at the higher end of, say, Marantz offerings?

I am struggling with it if I am honest.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Paulq said:
drummerman said:

Hmm. I wasn't so much thinking of an all in one but rather a combo further up the Marantz hierarchy such as PM8005/NA8005. I already have MA Silver 1's which would party with those two  

I reckon I could claw back about £6k net. Is the 'grown up' that much better?  That's the question. Money isn't the objective by the way; just the issue of whether expensive hifi is that much 'better' than the more populist, less expensive stuff at the higher end of, say, Marantz offerings? 

Only one way to find out :)

I would have thought marantz es HD Amp1 would have been a more appropriate starting point for the OP.

Still ...

Paulq said:
drummerman said:

I reckon I could claw back about £6k net. Is the 'grown up' that much better? That's the question. Money isn't the objective by the way; just the issue of whether expensive hifi is that much 'better' than the more populist, less expensive stuff at the higher end of, say, Marantz offerings?

I've pondered this too. Something like the Innuos Zen and KEF LS50 wireless seemed mighty tempting earlier this year. But I had so much legacy stuff and I actively dislike mixing computing products with audio. For me the music is an escape from that, so to need a keyboard or even an iPad is offputting.

Besides, proper hifi doesn't need rebooting in my experience - just the stylus needs a clean! Hence a rearranging of components and new speakers, and hopefully I'm sorted for a few years. I still fancy that Innuos though if I get fed up with playing live CDs!

Have also downgraded to old DVD player when previous CD player was repaired, and old Mission bookshelf speakers when new terminals were needed on my old Sonus fabers. Just like Cno says, you marvel that it works at all at first then begin to realise what's missing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. Aside from the DS, or possibly the DSM, I don't find that Linn gives good VFM....but it's all about preference. If I was downgrading, it would be to the Active LS50s with a Sneaky or Magic DS.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
FWIW. Aside from the DS, or possibly the DSM, I don't find that Linn gives good VFM....but it's all about preference. If I was downgrading, it would be to the Active LS50s with a Sneaky or Magic DS.
Not a Linn Kiko system?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
CnoEvil said:
Not a Linn Kiko system?

The LS50s are just too talented.

David has said, that the Active LS50s (which I've yet to hear - but hope to soonish), are a step up again....which will make them seriously talented.

ATM I think that Kef have set the right tonal balance with their speaker range. The sound is detailed and fun, but not forward or analytical....but need good amps to bring this out, especially as you go up the pecking order.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have an ex-demo set of PM6006/NA6005 available at a local dealers for just shy of £500 that I am sorely tempted to push the button on and set it up with the Silver 1's for a week or so. Worst case, if I decide it ain't worth it, I have a cracking little bedroom system there.

I nearly did it last night but after a couple of glasses of wine, good decisions are not made....

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Paulq said:
I have an ex-demo set of PM6006/NA6005 available at a local dealers for just shy of £500 that I am sorely tempted to push the button on and set it up with the Silver 1's for a week or so. Worst case, if I decide it ain't worth it, I have a cracking little bedroom system there.

I nearly did it last night but after a couple of glasses of wine, good decisions are not made....

Button pushed....delivery this week. Plan is to set it up and run A/B with Linn system and see how I feel.

Paulq said:
Paulq said:

Button pushed....delivery this week. Plan is to set it up and run A/B with Linn system and see how I feel.
Should be fun! Could've got a used Sneaky for similar outlay, but maybe not enough power?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Should be fun! Could've got a used Sneaky for similar outlay, but maybe not enough power?

Yeah plus I need the inputs. It's a gamble but a cheap (ish) one at least. As I said earlier the worst that can happen is I admit defeat and miss the Linn stuff so I get a great bedroom/office system. At best I avoid the need for therapy and step away from 'expensive is best'. *biggrin*

manicm

tino said:
CnoEvil said:
Not a Linn Kiko system?

The Linn Kiko seems great value - just add your network, but at 2k you can still acquire a reasonable lifestyle/compact system with better sound. Not to say it's bad, but there's better value. I suspect Naim's forthcoming little Atom will run rings around it, albeit a bit more expensive when you add speakers.

manicm

drummerman said:
Paulq said:
drummerman said:

I reckon I could claw back about £6k net. Is the 'grown up' that much better?  That's the question. Money isn't the objective by the way; just the issue of whether expensive hifi is that much 'better' than the more populist, less expensive stuff at the higher end of, say, Marantz offerings? 

Only one way to find out :)

I would have thought marantz es HD Amp1 would have been a more appropriate starting point for the OP.

Still ...

Well he was, wasn't he? But he decided to pocket half the cash when the newer Marantz was giving him the same enjoyment as the old one. A good meal is a good meal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts