The return of an old friend (Marantz M-CR603)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That little marantz amp with the wood looking cheeks looks cute. Measured 60w/110w 8/4ohm at 1% THD on a German site - Ishiwata involvement too so it should be good. Still not sure how this would stack up against something like a BelCanto or Cyrus. Good functionality.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
That little marantz amp with the wood looking cheeks looks cute. Measured 60w/110w 8/4ohm at 1% THD on a German site - Ishiwata involvement too so it should be good. Still not sure how this would stack up against something like a BelCanto or Cyrus. Good functionality.

Indeed. USB B input on the back too, something Marantz couldn't somehow bring themselves to include on the 603/610/611.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
The new Arcam Solo Music retails at 1300, maybe consider it discounted too. No USB B though.

Thanks. Not used USB B since 2011 which is why i'd forgotten the M-CR603 didn't have one.

If I do sell the Quad after it's repaired, then the Marantz HD-AMP1 will represent an upper limit of what I am prepared to spend to replace it. (£649 from some shops I think.)

The lower limit will be an M-CR611, or Yamaha R-N602.

Despite the dealer replicating the fault, Quad might not find a problem and send it back. Then it'll be a 'doorstop' as far as I am concerned because I will not sell an item I know (and a dealer concurs) to be faulty. I don't know where I stand then. Hopefully the warranty will cover a refund if that happens.

chebby said:
manicm said:
The new Arcam Solo Music retails at 1300, maybe consider it discounted too. No USB B though.

Thanks. Not used USB B since 2011 which is why i'd forgotten the M-CR603 didn't have one.

If I do sell the Quad after it's repaired, then the Marantz HD-AMP1 will represent an upper limit of what I am prepared to spend to replace it. (£649 from some shops I think.)

The lower limit will be an M-CR611, or Yamaha R-N602.

Despite the dealer replicating the fault, Quad might not find a problem and send it back. Then it'll be a 'doorstop' as far as I am concerned because I will not sell an item I know (and a dealer concurs) to be faulty. I don't know where I stand then. Hopefully the warranty will cover a refund if that happens.
I think you are being unduly pessimistic about them fixing it. They have had lots of practice over the years!

I do understand the feeling though. We had an issue with a groundwater drain running the wrong way at our new house, and no one seemed to believe me despite buckets emptied to demonstrate. Then a worker said you must be right because the arrows point the wrong way (it has a built in slope, as nobody bothered to explain). A bit like having speakers wired out of phase - they work but not properly!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Whilst reading some more about the Marantz PM6006 I found it uses the same Crystal CS4398 DAC as the Quad Vena and Marantz HD-DAC1 DAC/Headphone amp.

It is also becoming apparent how liked the PM6006 is (by actual customers as well as 'experts' and paid reviewers).

I might try the loan of a demo unit if my dealer can arrange.

The PM6006 internals look very neat with the digital bits all housed in their own metal box and a nicely shielded transformer.

I did - briefly - contemplate the more 'respectable' Rega Brio (I had the 1996 version for 11 eleven years) but then remembered all the Rega hum related threads and other QC issues in recent years. Then I saw the price! (That was the bucket of cold water I needed!) Frying pans and fires came to mind.

I need those two optical connections on the PM6006 and don't want to get into outboard DACs, so no more 'purist', analogue amps will be considered.

The M-CR603 is still here doing a sterling job whilst my Quad is on 'sick leave' and anything I try out will have to best it by a fair margin.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Bit strange all this. You moved up re. speaker quality and keep going down in price on amps?

I'd expect the 6006 to sound in the mould of previous Marantz budget amps ... lovely musical and easy flowing, good punch and spacious, somewhat soft at frequency extremes. Not a problem with small speakers but it may be with larger ones.

It could work but I'd look a bit further up. Perhaps the HP Amp 1.

manicm

drummerman said:
Bit strange all this. You moved up re. speaker quality and keep going down in price on amps?

I'd expect the 6006 to sound in the mould of previous Marantz budget amps ... lovely musical and easy flowing, good punch and spacious, somewhat soft at frequency extremes. Not a problem with small speakers but it may be with larger ones.

It could work but I'd look a bit further up. Perhaps the HP Amp 1.

Yeah the HD AMP1 - few but substantial universal praise for this deceptive looking cutie.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Yeah the HD AMP1 - few but substantial universal praise for this deceptive looking cutie.

:) It's why it's on my list as I mentioned last Saturday ...

chebby said:
Part of me is seriously contemplating selling the Quad on it's return and buying a new Marantz amp (PM6006 with it's two optical inputs maybe), or even the latest M-CR6nn iteration! (With a bit of extra cash the Marantz HD-AMP1 looks amazing.)

It's been a week since the Vena was sent back to Quad (after dealer managed to replicate fault). But here I am, not bothered, and still grooving along nicely without it! (I'm not quite sure what that says.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Quad have repaired my Vena and my dealer has had it playing, without fault, for two days in the shop.

I have asked them to get details of the repair from Quad (as none were sent), so I can be confident - when selling it on to someone else - that the fault won't re-occur.

It's been really enjoyable (and relaxing) using my old M-CR603 for the past three weeks, so I have decided to get either the latest version of it (M-CR611), or the Marantz PM6006 (with it's two optical inputs and DAC) once I have rid myself of the Quad.

What the heck? I might just sell the thing and pocket the money, or buy a camera :) (It's just possible my M-CR603 was the best built and best sounding M-CR6xx out of the three versions.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Hi Chebby,

How would you say the MCR611 compares with the MCR603?

Give me a chance :) Just finished dusting and packing away '603 and now downloading firmware to '611. (Estimated 12 minutes left.)

I am assuming the same performance.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As I thought ... excellent. Every bit as good as the '603.

Done a few tweaks.

Turned on 'Source Direct'.

Turned off 'Automatic Standby'. (Quad Vena had auto standby and it couldn't be switched out. Annoying sometimes.)

Made sure 'Network Control' is on. ('Network standby' on '603). Stays connected to network when in standby.

Set GMT then summertime.

Auto-scanned for FM stations and reordered and programmed favourites. Same with internet radio stations.

Tested AirPlay from iOS. Now listening to a two hour Trevor Nelson 'Rhythm Nation' programme from iPlayer Radio. Sounding very good indeed.

Set colour to blue and dimmed one stop :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well pleased for you *drinks* I assume it sounds much like the 610, which Ive always highly rated for its price. Plus it's one of the few recent hifi products I can actually speak about with any degree of knowledge regarding its sound!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
More importantly, anyone auditioning the '611 should engage 'Source Direct'. (Press DBB/Tone and then toggle with up/down arrows until 'Source Direct' then select it and toggle to 'On' and press 'enter'.

The device has all the tone controls flat (and DBB off) by default but Source Direct is also off by default too. It makes a difference.

I know it's there because of my long experience of the '603 but people with a phobia of instruction manuals (or who have an aversion to playing with settings) might never find it.

Toggling 'Network Control' to 'On' is important too.

If used, this setting would probably cancel out 99 percent of any negative comments regarding start-up times if those people could just have been bothered to RTFM rather than 'squeal' about a [non-existent] 'fault'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts