The quest for audio nirvana that is hifi / the enjoyment of music for musics sake

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I’ve thought a lot about this recently.
Before I start, I have never heard music sound so amazing, as I do now, and so my upgrades so far I have to deem an out and out success.

But I am wary of the fact, that when I think about it, I never enjoyed music more than when I listened as a kid with a tape recorder, and a mono radio.
And in all honesty, I was the most involved in my music when I first had my PC connected to a budget NAD amp and some JPW mini monitors...and sat less than a metre away.

The downside I see from the quest for higher fidelity is in fact that on the one hand I am increasing the quality of one listening situation, to the detriment of all others...

I no longer feel satisfied with my headphones and the laptop, unless the DAC is connected.
I get irritated with music at friends houses, where before I could just enjoy.
And in pubs, and bars, I don’t go “Hey I like this song”, I think “Bloody hell those speakers are bad”

The one saving grace is I still enjoy my mp3 player, with mp3s… And that’s only because the headphones I use, are perfect for the job…Not too revealing, and comfortable…

Ho hum.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm the same, whereas I never used to consider it when I was a kid/teenager, I now listen to hifi as much as the music unless I'm totally kippered of course. Having said that when I was younger I used to listen while doing other stuff, now I get a huge amount of pleasure sitting listening either with other people or on my own. People always comment on the system when they come round which kid of supports all the effort I've put into it.

It started at Uni when a mate bought a Marantz CD )£450), a Musical Fidelity B1 amp and Tannoy DC2000 speakers. That was my introduction I suppose although my dad had decent kit from Pioneer, Sansui and AE. From then on I was hooked and sometimes round at friends' places quite honestly the sound quality is shocking and it disturbs me that others can find it fulfilling.

Ho hum

John Duncan

I said this a while back - I listen to music on my iPod, or on the iMac in the kitchen - no analysis. I enjoy less music on the big stereo, because I'm more analytical - it's about the sound as well as the music. Horses/courses.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm at work, pre-Year 9 lesson, listening to Steely Dan via the Mac/iPod, and yes it's more "enjoyable", than at home. As you say John, less need or opportunity to focus on the detail the "big stereo" offers when sat a few inches from the computer's speakers.

And this simultaneously flummoxes, vexes and ultimately amuses me. Last night, after the Portugal/Germany game, (me and my German Dad really enjoyed that one!), I put a few records on and spent too much time trying to decide how "accurately" Chrissie Hynde's voice was presented and whether the soundstage presented by a Neil Young record was fulsome enough. Ridiculous, reductive stuff.

Time to get back to the music.

John Duncan

The way I've just re-set up my stereo, I can get best of both worlds - speakers are now either side of a small sofa facing longways down the room. When I sit in the armchair opposite them, all the imaging's there and I can watch the music - "ooooo look the triangle's over there" - but when I sit on the sofa between the spekers, all the imaging goes, bit of the treble's lost, but it's about listening to music again, and is damn fine.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

This is your 'Matrix' moment. Take the red pill, or the blue one? Do you want to live in ignorant bliss, or do you want to know the sometimes painful reality of everything?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
But I am wary of the fact, that when I think about it, I never enjoyed music more than when I listened as a kid with a tape recorder, and a mono radio

fr0g Sign you are getting old

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles:
Fr0g:But I am wary of the fact, that when I think about it, I never enjoyed music more than when I listened as a kid with a tape recorder, and a mono radio

Tell me about it. I used to go to a quiet room and record the top 40 in silence. Then listen back on a tape recorder... one of the mono brick type.

John Duncan

I think I still have the tape of the theme from Van der Valk done like that.....

Course, this explains the realissue - nostalgia. We can make our systems sound as high fidelity as we like, but will never recreate the thrill of hearing Joni Mitchell for the first time (played on a Sony music centre in a mate's room in halls 24 years ago), primarily because we're not playing Canasta all day instead of going to lectures, fuelled by beer, Digestives (hob nobs hadn't been invented) and, um, other stuff.

Am I wrong?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I think I still have the tape of the theme from Van der Valk done like that.....

Course, this explains the realissue - nostalgia. We can make our systems sound as high fidelity as we like, but will never recreate the thrill of hearing Joni Mitchell for the first time (played on a Sony music centre in a mate's room in halls 24 years ago), primarily because we're not playing Canasta all day instead of going to lectures, fuelled by beer, Digestives (hob nobs hadn't been invented) and, um, other stuff.

Am I wrong?

Exactement! Imagine listening to Ghost Town by the Specials on a good system now. Would that recreate the era, the clothes, the vibe when you first heard it?? Apologies to Ska haters, but you get my point.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Or, for ska-haters, c.1981 Whitesnake albums. Brilliant then (sic), absolute rubbish now.
I suppose I should have mentioned Nirvana (as it's in the title) but they still sound great on cd!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
You see for actual music, I still listen to much of what I did when I was young...

I used to love OMD - Architecture and Morality is still a fantastic album.

I used to listen to Madness... Still do from time to time...
The Cure, The Specials, Aha(Yep!) and many others... still can enjoy...
Still love Genesis, and Marillion, and Rush etc.
Then got into metal, and I still love Slayer, Metallica, faith No more Sepultura, Morbid Angel!
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in chains,etc ALL excellent still.
Then got into electronica, and I still love The Orb, Orbital, Banco Da Gaia, Boards of canada!
Now I listen to alot of Post Rock... Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, EF, My Exit Music...

I rarely change my mind on music I like...
(Although inexplicably I had most of the Magnum albums, and I find them unlistenable now.)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
fr0g:Lost Angeles:
Fr0g:But I am wary of the fact, that when I think about it, I never enjoyed music more than when I listened as a kid with a tape recorder, and a mono radio

Tell me about it. I used to go to a quiet room and record the top 40 in silence. Then listen back on a tape recorder... one of the mono brick type.

Yes i hold my hand up to that one - Sunday afternoons have never been the same ! - did you ever try to live edit the top 40 by guessing when the DJ was going to start talking. Darn annoying when you stop recording too early and for once he decides to let the track fade out........

A

Anonymous

fr0g:... I no longer feel satisfied with my headphones and the laptop, unless the DAC is connected. I get irritated with music at friends houses, where before I could just enjoy. And in pubs, and bars, I don't go "Hey I like this song", I think "Bloody hell those speakers are bad" ....

That is one hell of a post bud. These are the simple facts I hate to admit every single day. Reading this felt like looking at the mirror. Regarding the above scene, my wife has gotten used to my obvious change in expressions and the 'expected comments' that usually follows, she kinda stopped yelling - "Will you just shut up and listen!"

Think I need help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts