The Linn DS / DSM thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
newlash09 said:
but I got locked out of my vinyl vs digital thread. Iam seriously considering the Linn majik DS, in no small part due to Cnoevil's recommendation. I understand that the competition at this price is from the Naim nd5xs. But it doesn't have room optimisation. Any other streamers I should also be auditioning at this price. Though iam mostly sold on the Linn already :)

Don't get me wrong, it's after all your hard earned cash, but if I remember correctly you still haven't heard your current system...
Are you really considering an upgrade already?

Oh, please let me be your friend :p

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah you are right. I still haven't heard my new system. Should be by first week of next month all going well.

Actually even if it all sounds good to me, there will always be the nagging doubt that it could get better, with a better source. I would have been content with my setup , if the Yamaha wxc-50 costed anywhere near the Linn :)

But that is how this hobby is I guess. Iam just thinking aloud about my next upgrades, and seeing what options are available. And yeah I might just shelve the whole upgraditis once I hear my system too :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The moon neo ace has a amplifier section that I don't really need, but will have to pay for it too.

The linn's look interesting because of their sound quality as well as their space optimisation tech. I could do the same thing in a more cumbersome way. Digital out from Yamaha wxc-50 to a mini-dsp to a dac. But the Linn looks like a neat solution. That is why iam not too keen on the Naim at the moment. Thanks.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Yeah you are right. I still haven't heard my new system. Should be by first week of next month all going well.

Actually even if it all sounds good to me, there will always be the nagging doubt that it could get better, with a better source. I would have been content with my setup , if the Yamaha wxc-50 costed anywhere near the Linn :)

But that is how this hobby is I guess. Iam just thinking aloud about my next upgrades, and seeing what options are available. And yeah I might just shelve the whole upgraditis once I hear my system too :)

my system isn't as good as yours and there are times when I think about upgrading then I just put some music on and thien I think " no it's fine as it is " hopefully you will do the same at least for a little while*biggrin*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Your well intended post is very well accepted and I agree with everything you've said. Music is all that matters. Since i haven't listened to it yet. I just keep thinking about improving it all the time. Hopefully once I sit down and listen, maybe I will forget this whole upgrade itch. Which is actually a sensible thing to do :)

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
I've started to read this thread with interest ... I'm on page 2 at the moment. Can I ask, what feels like, a silly queation - can a linn ds be used as a preamp into a pair of active speakers or does it have to be a dsm.? My intention is to only control the active speakers and nothing else will be used as a source .... Music fed from a nas drive .... ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
Hi, I've started to read this thread with interest ... I'm on page 2 at the moment. Can I ask, what feels like, a silly queation - can a linn ds be used as a preamp into a pair of active speakers or does it have to be a dsm.? My intention is to only control the active speakers and nothing else will be used as a source .... Music fed from a nas drive .... ?

I think (and this would need to be confirmed by a dealer - or check on the Linn Forum), that they can be used as a Pre, only so far as controlling volume is concerned.....well I seem to remember the MDS can....this is what it says on their website:
"On-board volume control allows direct connection to a power amp"[/list]
https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/network-music-players/majik#majik-ds

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Since this seems to be an 'ask Cno' session, I think I will have a go.

The Majik DS has absolutely no inputs of any kind, so it pretty much lives or dies on what it can do itself. So my question is...

What can it actually do? I know it will stream from your network, stream Spotify or Tidal, but does it have radio of some kind, how about Bluetooth or Airplay?

Anything else I am missing?

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks cno - I had reached a similar conclusion but reading other reviews and specs I was also led to think I needed a dsm to enable the control of active speakers.

I'll keep reading the thread :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
Since this seems to be an 'ask Cno' session, I think I will have a go.

The Majik DS has absolutely no inputs of any kind, so it pretty much lives or dies on what it can do itself. So my question is...

What can it actually do? I know it will stream from your network, stream Spotify or Tidal, but does it have radio of some kind, how about Bluetooth or Airplay?

Anything else I am missing?

I will do my best, but as a tech luddite.

- There are no Inputs, for that you need a DSM

- It has a free 3 month trial with Tidal (or at least did)

- Here's what it says about Spotify: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/SpotifyConnect

- It can stream internet radio

- It gives Space Optimization: https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/space-optimisation

- It also has Songcast: Which is an open source application that allows you to send any audio from your computer to your Linn DS player and get better sound from your music services and web pages.

- It needs to be hard wired....but can be used with those thingys that plug into the wall

- Re Airplay, I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eaR_ZvNUWQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZdoOa5VvJ8

Personally, I have yet to hear a more musical digital source, including DCS....which for me is the priority. For others, practicality may be more important.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
That is mostly pretty clear, just a few further thoughts...

Do the streamers have internet radio onboard? Ie is that a function of the unit itself? I will look up the details but if you use this function, some actual user feedback would be good.

If I can stream musuc from the net, Spotify at the present time, listen to a bit of (internet) radio and have Airplay for very occasional use, that covers everything for me, bar one thing.

Is there any way of getting TV sound from a Skybox or similar onto a Majik DS? Any workarounds?

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
I have another question ... Is there a difference between a Akurate Exakt Dsm and a
Akurate dsm?
(I know I'm being lazy and all of this is searchable)
Appreciated as always.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:

Do the streamers have internet radio onboard? Ie is that a function of the unit itself? I will look up the details but if you use this function, some actual user feedback would be good.

If I can stream musuc from the net, Spotify at the present time, listen to a bit of (internet) radio and have Airplay for very occasional use, that covers everything for me, bar one thing.

Is there any way of getting TV sound from a Skybox or similar onto a Majik DS? Any workarounds?

I have onboard Radio Stations, with favorites like Paradise Radio, pre set up.

- If looking for a Media Hub, you should look at a Sneaky DSM, which has digital Inputs, including HDMI. I organized this for a friend, who happens to be a local Priest.

I wrote about it here: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/devine-inspiration

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

I have onboard Radio Stations, with favorites like Paradise Radio, pre set up.

- If looking for a Media Hub, you should look at a Sneaky DSM, which has digital Inputs, including HDMI. I organized this for a friend, who happens to be a local Priest.

I wrote about it here: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/devine-inspiration

More silly questions.

I can see that the Sneaky DSM is more versatile, including power amps (un needed) but does not have a display, neither does it have Space Optimisation. Any issues to consider there?

What about sound quality, is there much of a difference?

Realistically, I do not really need the 'hub' functions so a Majik DS would probably be a better bet. About 3 or 4 times a year I get the urge to play TV through my stereo speakers, any thoughts about a work around?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
More silly questions.

I can see that the Sneaky DSM is more versatile, including power amps (un needed) but does not have a display, neither does it have Space Optimisation. Any issues to consider there?

What about sound quality, is there much of a difference?

Realistically, I do not really need the 'hub' functions so a Majik DS would probably be a better bet. About 3 or 4 times a year I get the urge to play TV through my stereo speakers, any thoughts about a work around?

- IMO. You don't really need a screen, as you can see exactly what's going on with whatever device(s) you are controlling it with.

- I think to properly set it up, you need a non Apple product (but you can control it from one)....but this is worth checking.

- Soundwise (IMO) The Sneaky DSM version is a little better than the DS version, mostly due to the more powerful amp. The Majik DS is a decent step up in SQ (in no small part to the Dynamic Power Supply) and would certainly be my choice if the Media Hub is not a priority.

- As for a work around, the only thing I can think of, is using Songcast from a Laptop.

I know you will not buy one, without hearing it....so you would need to check with the dealer what is, or is not possible.

Linn regularly updates its software, thus increasing its versatility.

If you hear one, let me know - whether good or bad.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I will be moving house in the next month or two so I have decided to update my system. For the time being 99% of my listening is on Spotify, to my ears (and way of listening) the improvement to be gained from using Tidal is insufficient to compensate for a clearly inferior service. Should Spotify ever go lossless I will probably pay for that, the catalogue and interface is way better than Tidal or anything else.

Given this, I realise that Spotify is a sub-optimum format and for that reason I had decided to keep my expendature modest, I was thinking of the Oppo Sonica, the Cambridge CXN, both new or a used Unitiqute 2, all available around £800. Given the source, I considered this sufficiant.

I have, however, been somewhat intreagued by the hype surrounding the Linn players, and before giving them a go, I thought it best to work out which model would be best for me. For a Variety of reasons, the Majik DS seems to be the most obvious solution, so, when I can, I plan to try it against the Sonics to determin whether or not Linn's 'legendary' musicality is worth the extra £1000.

fu140

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I had a 2008 Majik DS with Dynamik power supply feeding a Musical Fidelity M3i. Due to a new addition to the family I don't get chance to listen as much as I'd like. So because of this and the desire to tidy things up, I sold them both along with a Denon AVR and purchased a Cambridge Audio CXR200 to do everything. This has the same streaming module as the CXN and a big, HiFi amplifier section (1.8 kW transformer!!!). Anyway, to my ears, it sounded considerably better than the Majik/M3i combo. Yes the amplifier section probably made a big difference but everything sounded better. Instrument separation and bass control being the biggest changes. So my advice would be to listen to a CXN first, and the warrnaty is a big plus with a new unit.

The Majik DS has since been improved so this may no longer be the case for a new model. Just my experience!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
fu140 said:
So my advice would be to listen to a CXN first, and the warrnaty is a big plus with a new unit.

Listening to alternatives is always good advice....though, as you said, it's possible that it was the M3i that you didn't like (in combination with the DS). The only way to know for sure, would have been to listen to the MDS through the CA amp (which is a very different sound to the MF one).

I'm glad you found the sound that suits you.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Before buying a Majik DSM, I listened to Naim streamers and at the time owned a Logitech Squeezebox Touch (+ Audio GD Dac). IMO the Linn outperformed the equivalent Naim as well as the squeezebox. How (I hear you say)?

The Linn just seemed to present the music in a more ‘natural’ way. There’s no full-on assault on your ears and I would suggest giving some time when auditioning as they do not set out to impress with any over emphasis of sound.

If you don’t mind buying second hand, you can also save money by purchasing kit that is generally reliable with some upgrade options from Linn.

I now have a set up that has few boxes (Linn streamer/ pre amp with pair of active speakers) but sounds great. I can listen for hours without fatigue and the system also allows us to enjoy high quality sound from multiple sources (TV, DVD, internet radio, NAS, Spotify etc).

One footnote here; Linn introduced Spotify Connect several months ago and we make big use of it ( rarely listening to FLAC on the NAS). It sounds great and although FLAC is slightly superior, it’s just not worth the effort most of the time. I’m currently holding out for Spotify CD quality to become available but Tidal and Qobuz do tempt me on occasions!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that, interesting.

My thoughts on sound quality, in a general sense.

I rather like a positive presentation, perhaps a bit on the lively side. I really liked the presentation of early '80s Naim product but very much 'went off' the brand during the 'olive' era when I found them to be unpleasantly relentless.

I believe that modern Naim gear has backed off somewhat from this presentation, still energetic and rhythmic, but much easier to live with. Functionally speaking the Unitiqute 2 would suit virtually all my needs and is available, used, for around £800, about £1000 less than the price of a used Majik DSM so you can see my dilemma.

Although I use radio a fair amount, I use Spotify, for virtually all my music listening and this is my primary requirement, it is occasionally fun to stream something from a hand held and it would be nice, on occasion, to have TV sound through the system, but that is really all I need, the whole 'media hub' thing of the DSM is overkill.

As you have probably gathered, I am leaning very strongly towards a 'qute as being a very cost effective solution but I remain intreaged by the Linns 'musical' reputation.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
Thanks for that, interesting.

My thoughts on sound quality, in a general sense.

I rather like a positive presentation, perhaps a bit on the lively side. I really liked the presentation of early '80s Naim product but very much 'went off' the brand during the 'olive' era when I found them to be unpleasantly relentless.

I believe that modern Naim gear has backed off somewhat from this presentation, still energetic and rhythmic, but much easier to live with. Functionally speaking the Unitiqute 2 would suit virtually all my needs and is available, used, for around £800, about £1000 less than the price of a used Majik DSM so you can see my dilemma.

Although I use radio a fair amount, I use Spotify, for virtually all my music listening and this is my primary requirement, it is occasionally fun to stream something from a hand held and it would be nice, on occasion, to have TV sound through the system, but that is really all I need, the whole 'media hub' thing of the DSM is overkill.

As you have probably gathered, I am leaning very strongly towards a 'qute as being a very cost effective solution but I remain intreaged by the Linns 'musical' reputation.

Pedro2 has described the sound well....to me it sounds more like a really good TT.

Naim definitely has a more upfront sound....but (for me) it just didn't present Piano (as an example) naturally. If you are doing a head to head, bring some solo piano to check this out.

You can tailor the sound with your choice of speaker (and to some extent amp)...and I know I'm teaching my Granny to suck eggs....but at least you are starting the chain with a refined and musical source. It's a bit like mixing the 80s Naim 42/110, with the LP12/Ittock/Asak of that time (with its mid range bloom)....which I owned and liked (but not mixed with other components).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Amp and speakers will be my Adam floorstanders, I really would prefer not to have to change these, I don't want to get into all that.

They are pretty transparent though lacking in low bass, given my musical taste not a huge issue. The ribbon tweeter, is superb so two of my pet hates, speaker induced bass 'bloat' and ragged dome treble are entirely absent.

It really is all about 'engagement', will I get more from a Linn over, say, a Naim and will it be worth the extra cost, only one way to find out I suppose. This thread has been helpful in clarifying which models I need to compare, so that is good.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
Amp and speakers will be my Adam floorstanders, I really would prefer not to have to change these, I don't want to get into all that.

They are pretty transparent though lacking in low bass, given my musical taste not a huge issue. The ribbon tweeter, is superb so two of my pet hates, speaker induced bass 'bloat' and ragged dome treble are entirely absent.

It really is all about 'engagement', will I get more from a Linn over, say, a Naim and will it be worth the extra cost, only one way to find out I suppose. This thread has been helpful in clarifying which models I need to compare, so that is good.

From my knowledge of Adam and your preference in speakers, I think the match with Linn would work well (as in giving you what you're looking for ie. accurate musicality, that is engaging , without being boring)....but might highlight what I see as the downside of the Naim sound...but that is speculative.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts