The Linn DS / DSM thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nopiano,

There is a thread running on the Linn forum at the moment which may be of interest. The OP asks whether the Sneaky is still worth buying and the responses are quite positive!

daveh75

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
I have run a Cat 5 cable from the router to behind the HiFi , and now I see some folks suggest a ‘switch’.  Do any of you DS users use one, and what does it cure or improve?   I’ve never used one before, and I thought it was like a block or gang for mains, just a way to get 5 outlets where you had only one. 

Up until now, I’ve only streamed wirelessly...

Any other tips?  I’ve installed Linn Kazoo, but how to you rate the alternatives?

I've been beaten but I also urge you to get a switch
Thanks Andrew, Paul and Pedro.  I’ll doubtless follow the crowd but I’m still not sure why I need one if the modem router has enough sockets.  Does it isolate the signal maybe? 

Linn’s useful ‘docs’, which I had not looked at for ages, show a basic system wired direct, but once you add a NAS they show a switch too!

The switch helps all the devices see each other on the local network and send/recieve data to each other.
You only require a cheap unmanaged switch
I don't know if you have a Nas but you will need one for that also imo.

What do you think a Router does?

I'd advise not using a switch unnecessarily (e.g unless you actually need one to provide extra ports to h/w multiple devices)

And I'd wager there's snake oil/audiophool ******** behind the recommendation to add a switch..

When it comes to networking, particularly for the uninitiated the KISS principal is best IMO

Pedro2 said:
Hi Nopiano,

There is a thread running on the Linn forum at the moment which may be of interest. The OP asks whether the Sneaky is still worth buying and the responses are quite positive!
Thanks, Pedro, I’ve found that now and posted a comment! I’ve been reading all about SO, which is an unexpected bonus, though my speakers aren’t on the list.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Thanks, Pedro, I’ve found that now and posted a comment! I’ve been reading all about SO, which is an unexpected bonus, though my speakers aren’t on the list.

Space Optimisation - now that is a Black Art
regular_smile.png

To be honest I have never fully understood how it works and my attempts at setting it up have usually ended up with me having the worst sounding system it's possible to have. As a result, I just turn it off and am lucky that I enjoy the sound I have anyway.

Let us know how you get on when you receive it.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Kubs said:
Hi nopiano - how are you getting on with the Linn Sneaky?
Hi Kubs, unfortunately the ebay courier DPD failed to collect it from where the seller dropped it off, so I’m still waiting!  I’m reading pages about Kazoo, Kinsky, and NAS thingies.  How do you find your Synology, as that’s one of the favoured brands?

(Meanwhile I sold my old Sonus fabers and the buyer is delighted.  He’s an experienced audiophile with a Beard valve amp, Oracle turntable and Koetsu pickup)
Hi nopiano. I bought my Nas drive around 6 years ago and it hasn't let me down since - I haven't even set up a failover drive, wish is recommended as it's very common for a hard drive to die ... I guess I've been luck but I'm secretly wishing it does so I can burn all my CDs again .... There's something satisfying about that :)
Anyway, I'm sure the Nas can do loads more but I only use it as a music storage vehicle with Logitech music server running.
The set up was pretty straight forward and something I enjoyed working through, although I was without kids back then so I probably wouldn't want to go through it all again and maybe opt for a plug n play device such as an Innuos.
I've recently bypassed the SBT and plugged the nas, using usb directly to my dac. I use DS Audio to access my music. It's basic and sometimes clitchy but it will do for now as my next step is to try out another method .... As mentioned above, Innuos , auralic, roon, linn etc. Some of the recent threads here I'm ready with interest.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I also use a Synology NAS (115j). Bought it off Amazon about 6 months ago. It works fine but I don’t put huge demands on it as most listening is done via Spotify and Radio that are both built into the Linn (Radio needs Tunein and setting up in Konfig).

One thing to note is that you’ll need a media sever running on your NAS and Kazoo will only work with some. I use one called minim server (free) which is basic but does the job no frills. I believe that Asset can also run on Synology NAS but it appears to be a bit of a pain to install. Asset is good, however and comes from the DB poweramp stable.

Regarding Linn Space, as Paulq mentioned above, it’s a weird and wonderful black art. There’s a guy on the Linn forum who is a Space ‘master’ and travels across Europe and the States setting up Linn owners’ systems. Nice work if you can get it!

personally, I do use it to tame some of the excessive bass in our living room that muddies mid range details. You have to be careful though as applied too enthusiastically and you suck the life out of your music. Great fun messing with it though if you’ve got an hour or two to spare and you don’t mind comparing the same 3 tracks over and over again! Enjoy...

Well, it was very easy to get up and running. Plugged in the cat 5 cable, then the mains. iPhone had Kazoo in readiness and it remembers my Qobuz login.

Less sure about accessing various different file types in iTunes, (tried Kinsky on laptop) but that’s not a priority. Not much time to listen so far but sounds very good. Was quickly enjoying the music, not listening to the kit. I think that’s a good sign!

I can see that measuring room and speakers for SO will take a bit of time and patience!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Well, it was very easy to get up and running.  Plugged in the cat 5 cable, then the mains.  iPhone had Kazoo in readiness and it remembers my Qobuz login.  

Less sure about accessing various different file types in iTunes, (tried Kinsky on laptop) but that’s not a priority.  Not much time to listen so far but sounds very good.  Was quickly enjoying the music, not listening to the kit.  I think that’s a good sign!

I can see that measuring room and speakers for SO will take a bit of time and patience!  
Good job.

When you have had time to assess it properly, a longer report on what you think of it's SQ would be great.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Well, it was very easy to get up and running. Plugged in the cat 5 cable, then the mains. iPhone had Kazoo in readiness and it remembers my Qobuz login.

Less sure about accessing various different file types in iTunes, (tried Kinsky on laptop) but that’s not a priority. Not much time to listen so far but sounds very good. Was quickly enjoying the music, not listening to the kit. I think that’s a good sign!

I can see that measuring room and speakers for SO will take a bit of time and patience!

Glad to hear it's all going smoothly, enjoy

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:

Nice one - the ease of initial setup is one of Linn's strengths. If you haven't done so already make sure you update (via Konfig) to the latest release of Davaar as there's been a recent release to enable Roon integration. That's equally as easy - it does it for you.

Enjoy listening to music in a wonderful way - I really hope you like it and look forward to hearing your verdict after a bit of time.
regular_smile.png

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
I have a sneaky feeling it's almost majik. But having not owned any Linn gear myself, it's probably not akurate
Have you reached the Klimax of your comic talents...or does it get better than this.

Pedro2 said:
Hi Nopiano,

How’s the sneaky sounding?
I have to say I’m delighted with it, though I’ve only had about four hours listening so far. I cannot easily attribute any particular sound to it, though on Qobuz - my main source - it does sound very good. I have the CD quality subscription and I guess the streams I’ve listened to so far definitely sound as good as a good CD. That may seem a bit underwhelming, but I guess it’s what it should be. (A trial of the hi-res level service doesn’t seem available, and I’m not ready to splash over £300 on a years worth. Am thinking I’ll check if I can buy and then downgrade if not convinced)

I thought the Chromecast was amazing, but that was perhaps amazing for a little puck that cost just twenty quid. This is more like a serious Hi-Fi system, and reminds me a bit of upgrading an amp - where everything is just more spacious, tangible, characterful - like all the musicians are having a good night! I’ve enjoyed a chunk of a Rossini opera I wouldn’t ordinarily listen to.

Haven’t yet worked out if I can put it on standby from the Kazoo app. It seems odd not to be able to. Otherwise it seems easy to use, as a source.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
[Haven’t yet worked out if I can put it on standby from the Kazoo app. It seems odd not to be able to. Otherwise it seems easy to use, as a source.

You can. In Kazoo, at the very top of the screen where you see the device name and tap/click on it (I am assuming it's just called 'Sneaky' but you may have renamed it). You'll then get a drop-down box with a number of menu items including the new Linn Labs application along with an option to 'Turn All Systems Off'.

Each listed Linn Networked device can also be turned off individually if you have more than one but if you only have the Sneaky then either option will do the trick for you.

Hope that helps.
regular_smile.png

Paulq said:
nopiano said:
[Haven’t yet worked out if I can put it on standby from the Kazoo app. It seems odd not to be able to. Otherwise it seems easy to use, as a source.

You can. In Kazoo, at the very top of the screen where you see the device name and tap/click on it (I am assuming it's just called 'Sneaky' but you may have renamed it). You'll then get a drop-down box with a number of menu items including the new Linn Labs application along with an option to 'Turn All Systems Off'.

Each listed Linn Networked device can also be turned off individually if you have more than one but if you only have the Sneaky then either option will do the trick for you.

Hope that helps.
Super, thanks, Paul. Yes, it’s called Main Room on my screen and exactly what you describe is there. I’d seen similar in the other App. Like all these things it’s easy when you know...!

Thanks again.

Incidentally, I read last night that Majik and Sneaky had the same DAC, back in the day. That may be different now there are newer “architectures”, but it maybe explains why the Sneaky got such strong reviews early on. I think it was bit of a sleeper, though the list price crept up to, I think, £1015 before it was discontinued last year.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Super, thanks, Paul. Yes, it’s called Main Room on my screen and exactly what you describe is there. I’d seen similar in the other App. Like all these things it’s easy when you know...!

Thanks again.

Incidentally, I read last night that Majik and Sneaky had the same DAC, back in the day. That may be different now there are newer “architectures”, but it maybe explains why the Sneaky got such strong reviews early on. I think it was bit of a sleeper, though the list price crept up to, I think, £1015 before it was discontinued last year.

No worries at all I am glad it helped. Just in case you are not aware you can rename the device in the Konfig app if you want to.

I had actually heard that about the Sneaky DAC and although I have never listened to one I have read many appraisals of it in that its price is in no way representative of its quality. I am a huge fan of Linn's Majik range and think they are incredible value for what they cost, even more so second hand, so if they share attributes then that means you have got a hell of a piece of kit for very little outlay.

Enjoy the music!
regular_smile.png

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
All the DS models except the Sneaky (i think it's because it doesn't have a modular design), has had the Dynamik power supply upgrade, which was reasonably significant.

The Sneaky is still excellent, but has been a little bit left behind...but its amp is better than you'd expect.

I'm glad you are enjoying it....it's a nicely musical bit of kit, that is quite at home in an expensive system. I preferred it to my Karik Numerik, which as you know, was a pretty highend piece of kit in its day.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just had an e-mail to say that my Akurate has been upgraded by Linn and is ready for collection! At last ....,. it’s only taken about 6 weeks.

Will collect it later today and get first impressions tonight. Will post thoughts in the week when I get chance. Looking forward to discovering whether the reviews so far are correct (I.e. significant improvement in SQ) or whether it’s been over-hyped.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Just had an e-mail to say that my Akurate has been upgraded by Linn and is ready for collection! At last ....,. it’s only taken about 6 weeks.

Will collect it later today and get first impressions tonight. Will post thoughts in the week when I get chance. Looking forward to discovering whether the reviews so far are correct (I.e. significant improvement in SQ) or whether it’s been over-hyped.

Hi Pedro2

That's taken an eternity so 10/10 for your patience. I am really keen to hear your thoughts as I know you will give an unbiased opinion. The general view on the Linn forum is that it's a night and day difference but that lot would claim toast tasted better if it was made in a Linn toaster
wink_smile.png

I actually sold my ADSM yesterday. It's a long story and I am taking a bit of time to decide what to do next - that includes a Meridian demo next Friday after which I'll decide whether to go that way or get a new ADSM with Katalyst (or another option). Linn just made it ridiculously complicated to get my last one done so I am actually reluctant to invest any more money with them unless I am sure of the sonic benefits.

Enjoy your evening ( I am sure you will).
regular_smile.png

Pedro2 said:

Wow, congratulations, it should be terrific. I know what Paul means about the hype though. I consider myself pretty open minded about tweaks, but directionalIty of mains cables, and firmware upgrades changing the rhythm I find hard to swallow (Linn forum).

Pedro2 said:

Wow, congratulations, it should be terrific. I know what Paul means about the hype though. I consider myself pretty open minded about tweaks, but directionalIty of mains cables, and firmware upgrades changing the rhythm I find hard to swallow (Linn forum).

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello - what's a good price for a second hand linn Akurate ds 2 with exakt links (whatever that is)?

I've seen one for £2500 ... It means buying blind though (what could possibly go wrong).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
Hello - what's a good price for a second hand linn Akurate ds 2 with exakt links (whatever that is)?

I've seen one for £2500 ... It means buying blind though (what could possibly go wrong).

Not sure...maybe others can help.

There is not a lot to go wrong with a DS...but personally, I'd rather buy Used/Ex-Dem from a Dealer, if spending that sort of money...so should get some kind of warrenty/back up. Chances are, it will have been a unit they sold and will know the owner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts