The Linn DS / DSM thread

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
For all Linn DS/DSM users out there. The Katalyst DAC architecture is now available for Klimax as well as Akurate models. It is also available as an upgrade for older models. I’ll probably bite the bullet on this one for my Akurate DSM v1 as reports on the latest Klimax rate it very highly. Just need a good excuse to spend the money. Paulq; are you considering?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
For all Linn DS/DSM users out there. The Katalyst DAC architecture is now available for Klimax as well as Akurate models. It is also available as an upgrade for older models. I’ll probably bite the bullet on this one for my Akurate DSM v1 as reports on the latest Klimax rate it very highly. Just need a good excuse to spend the money. Paulq; are you considering?

Hi Pedro2

Ironic that you should post as I saw it in the Linn email I received today.

I am very very tempted to upgrade to Katalyst but may also take the opportunity do so by offloading my ADSM and buying one of the new ones when released with Katalyst. That may seem overkill but am keen to change colour from silver to black so it's as good an opportunity as I will get and the net cost, either way, is likely to be very similar to what it would cost to pay for the upgrade (read: expensive).

If the sound improvement is as good as claimed then it makes the case for Linn streamers even more compelling. Wonder if we will ever see it dropped into the Majik line....

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paulq,

Never say never but the Majik Katalyst may be a long time coming. Who knows?

I see where you're coming from with the change to black; much prefer black to silver myself too. I must do a demo to compare with and without the Katalyst upgrade but if the reviews of the Klimax Katalyst are to be believed, the sound is superb. One review I read placed the streamer alongside or better than the top Linn turntable; more analogue-sounding than real analogue! I know we are talking about the model down in the pecking order but it's still going to sound very, very good.

Must admit that with all my past thoughts regarding speaker upgrades, I've no urge to move away from the Linn streamers. Don't know about you but the combination of Linn Akurate and the AE1a is top notch. My biggest problem is often one of dragging myself (+ better half) away from the music (especially late Fri and Sat!). If you do get a new Akurate or hear one, please let us all know how it performs and I'll do the same. Cheers!

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Reviving this thread as I want to read more about Linn streamers and don't want to have to Google every time :)

Hi Insider,

My Akurate v0 is currently residing with a Linn dealer. I have been told that it can be sent off to Linn mid June for an upgrade. Evidently Linn dealers fall into 2 divisions and only the Premiership ones can access the latest hardware upgrade immediately. A definite downside with Linn unless you’re near to a premiership shop, that is!

The top two layers of Linn streamers are now available with new DACs and associated kit (power supplies etc). You can get older streamers upgraded at a cost (see above).

Bad news is the cost and the wait. Good news is the reported sound quality from the latest spec from those that have had it done. I’ll provide my thoughts and impressions in a couple of months when my streamer returns.

One other thought. My Akurate DSM was bought 2nd hand off EBay. After the upgrade, it should be virtually like a new machine but at a fraction of the latest cost. Bagging a 2nd hand Linn streamer at a good price can be a very cost effective way into the land of Linn. I do find the cost of their new streamers (especially Akurate and Kilmarnock) to be quite prohibitively expensive.

insider9

Many thanks, Pedro. I'll be honest it interests me as these units usually cost in excess of what one could do with a streamer/DAC combo.

And I don't expect all the people buying them to be either misinformed or having so much disposable income that £4k is an everyday purchase. I guess what I'm trying to say they just must sound very good.

It further peaked my interest as I see Roon and Linn might have finally agreed something as I've read early testing is on its way.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Many thanks, Pedro. I'll be honest it interests me as these units usually cost in excess of what one could do with a streamer/DAC combo.

And I don't expect all the people buying them to be either misinformed or having so much disposable income that £4k is an everyday purchase. I guess what I'm trying to say they just must sound very good.

It further peaked my interest as I see Roon and Linn might have finally agreed something as I've read early testing is on its way.

I believe the cost is partly down to the way that Linn take some standard (high quality) components and then customise with their own specs. There's a review of the Klimax on Hi Fi Wigwam:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/hifiwigwam-review-of-the-linn-klimaz-dsm-mk3/

where the specific details are outlined in more detail. Throw in the digital room correction software (Space) and you start to arrive at a premium product at a premium price. I know that those who own one are usually reluctant to abandon them for other manufacturers as they get hooked on the Linn 'sound'. Don't know what it is but it's quite addictive; very engaging.

However, unless money is no object, they come at a price and other, much cheaper options are available. The latest Klimax is a mind boggling £18k! It's a lottery win to me but they still seem to ship them out in numbers all over the world.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the link....though I'm not sure I'm glad I read it. Oh well, I'll put one on the Bucket List and hope a rich relative that I've neve heard of, leaves me his fortune.

Baby steps further up the streaming tree, but I’ve just bagged a used Sneaky for just a bit over £400. Should arrive by Wednesday so I’ll be able to see how it compares to the old SBT and the newer but basic CCA.

Don't have the funds for an Akurate, but there have been some more recent used models on eBay around £1300 recently. One day!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:
Let us know how you find it.

....and the Amp is more capable that you might imagine.
Will do.  My thought was if I get bitten, as it were, the Sneaky would be great in the study with some modest speakers as a separate system, assuming I can migrate up the Linn hierarchy. 
It goes quite well with Concept 20s IMO

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Baby steps further up the streaming tree, but I’ve just bagged a used Sneaky for just a bit over £400. Should arrive by Wednesday so I’ll be able to see how it compares to the old SBT and the newer but basic CCA.

Don't have the funds for an Akurate, but there have been some more recent used models on eBay around £1300 recently. One day!

Good to hear and welcome to the Linn club
regular_smile.png

The Sneaky is a great piece of gear and excellent VFM. Let us know what you think and I hope you enjoy it!

Paulq said:
nopiano said:

Good to hear and welcome to the Linn club .

The Sneaky is a great piece of gear and excellent VFM. Let us know what you think and I hope you enjoy it!
Thanks, paulq. I’ve not been a member since I sold my Sondek in 2011. It should be fun!

I first heard one in the kitchen of an acquaintance who also owns a Klimax system, so I’ve got a perception of what might lie ahead!

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:
Let us know how you find it.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on how the linn presentation compares to that of the SBT and Chromecast - have fun.

....and the Amp is more capable that you might imagine.
Will do.  My thought was if I get bitten, as it were, the Sneaky would be great in the study with some modest speakers as a separate system, assuming I can migrate up the Linn hierarchy. 

I have run a Cat 5 cable from the router to behind the HiFi , and now I see some folks suggest a ‘switch’. Do any of you DS users use one, and what does it cure or improve? I’ve never used one before, and I thought it was like a block or gang for mains, just a way to get 5 outlets where you had only one.

Up until now, I’ve only streamed wirelessly...

Any other tips? I’ve installed Linn Kazoo, but how to you rate the alternatives?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
I have run a Cat 5 cable from the router to behind the HiFi , and now I see some folks suggest a ‘switch’. Do any of you DS users use one, and what does it cure or improve? I’ve never used one before, and I thought it was like a block or gang for mains, just a way to get 5 outlets where you had only one.

Any other tips? I’ve installed Linn Kazoo, but how to you rate the alternatives?

Hi nopiano

I use an unmanaged switch with no issues and also use Powerlines to facilitate wired connections for both my ADSM and MDSM. I get speeds of over 200 Mbps at either end of the line so no problems with the switch.

Kazoo is Marmite as was Kinsky before it. Personally, I find it 'OK' but I am a bit limited as I am exclusively an iOS user so there's a lack of an alternative. If you use Android then Bubble DS is excellent.

As I have mentioned on another thread I have used Audiavana+ on iMac as the control point and find it great and that works well with A+ remote which you can use to control it from an iPhone/iPad. It's Apple only at the moment with a Windows release scheduled at some point. Tidal and Qobuz are integrated into Kazoo and A+ and Kazoo also has TuneIn radio and Spotify Connect.

If you don't fancy mucking about with alternatives then Kazoo is functional and reasonably stable.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:

Looks like you'll have some fun for your £400! I've not heard a Sneaky but it will definitely have the Linn 'sound' (whatever that sound is; hard to describe but you know it when you hear it).

Like Paulq, I also use a switch (unmanaged, straightforward bog standard) as I believe Linn recommend them rather than direct feed from the router. Don't really know what's behind it but probably worth a punt. I also find Kazoo workable but not outstanding. As we mostly listen to Spotify Connect and internet radio as sources, Kazoo does the business as we're not asking it to do much.

You will also have access to Linn's 'Space' digital room correction software which you may find useful (depends on your room and speakers). Looking forward to your impressions. Keep us all posted.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
I have run a Cat 5 cable from the router to behind the HiFi , and now I see some folks suggest a ‘switch’.  Do any of you DS users use one, and what does it cure or improve?   I’ve never used one before, and I thought it was like a block or gang for mains, just a way to get 5 outlets where you had only one. 

Any other tips?  I’ve installed Linn Kazoo, but how to you rate the alternatives?

I've been beaten but I also urge you to get a switch

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:

Thanks Andrew, Paul and Pedro. I’ll doubtless follow the crowd but I’m still not sure why I need one if the modem router has enough sockets. Does it isolate the signal maybe?

Linn’s useful ‘docs’, which I had not looked at for ages, show a basic system wired direct, but once you add a NAS they show a switch too!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
I have run a Cat 5 cable from the router to behind the HiFi , and now I see some folks suggest a ‘switch’.  Do any of you DS users use one, and what does it cure or improve?   I’ve never used one before, and I thought it was like a block or gang for mains, just a way to get 5 outlets where you had only one. 

Any other tips?  I’ve installed Linn Kazoo, but how to you rate the alternatives?

Thanks Andrew, Paul and Pedro.  I’ll doubtless follow the crowd but I’m still not sure why I need one if the modem router has enough sockets.  Does it isolate the signal maybe? 

Linn’s useful ‘docs’, which I had not looked at for ages, show a basic system wired direct, but once you add a NAS they show a switch too!

The switch helps all the devices see each other on the local network and send/recieve data to each other.
You only require a cheap unmanaged switch
I don't know if you have a Nas but you will need one for that also imo.

Kubs said:
Hi nopiano - how are you getting on with the Linn Sneaky?
Hi Kubs, unfortunately the ebay courier DPD failed to collect it from where the seller dropped it off, so I’m still waiting! I’m reading pages about Kazoo, Kinsky, and NAS thingies. How do you find your Synology, as that’s one of the favoured brands?

(Meanwhile I sold my old Sonus fabers and the buyer is delighted. He’s an experienced audiophile with a Beard valve amp, Oracle turntable and Koetsu pickup)

One of the things I mainly hope to achieve is to get Qobuz without gaps and maybe better sounding than by Chromecast.

I was amused to get the following reply earlier today.

Bonjour,
Oui Linn est Gapless.
Bonnes écoutes.

@Andrew, I don’t have a nas at the moment and might hold fire. If i like the idea I think I might need to save up for an Innuos or something to make ripping easier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts